7-Eleven clerk violates policy and saves his own life...

This is a discussion on 7-Eleven clerk violates policy and saves his own life... within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I want to see the follow-up and whether he will be fired for defending his life. 7-Eleven clerk shoots, wounds would-be thief Wednesday, December 26, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I want to see the follow-up and whether he will be fired for defending his life.

7-Eleven clerk shoots, wounds would-be thief
    Wednesday, December 26, 2007
    By Milan Simonich, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

A convenience store clerk in Ingram turned the tables on a knife-carrying robber yesterday, shooting and seriously wounding the would-be thief, police said.

Ingram Police Chief John Doherty said the clerk may have fired at the robber inside and then outside the 7-Eleven store at 10 W. Prospect Ave.

"He shot the robber several times. I'm not sure how many," Chief Doherty said in an interview.

The gunfire began in the store about 4:30 a.m. and then apparently continued outside, he said.

Chief Doherty declined to identify either the clerk or the robber. He said the would-be thief is 20 years old and the clerk is in his mid-20s.

Emergency crews transported the robber to Allegheny General Hospital, where he underwent surgery, Chief Doherty said.

He said the clerk may have had a less serious injury.

"I believe the clerk was cut," the chief said.

Chief Doherty said the preliminary investigation showed that the clerk had a permit to carry a firearm. He said he knew this particular clerk because he had been robbed previously and Ingram police investigated that case.

7-Eleven has had a no-weapons policy for store employees since the 1970s. Chief Doherty said he did not know whether the Ingram clerk violated a corporate rule by carrying his gun.

An employee at the 7-Eleven store in Ingram referred questions to a manager, who was not in yesterday.

Corporate offices of the Dallas-based chain were closed yesterday because of the Christmas holiday. But 7-Eleven executives at the corporate level have said that one weapon carried by a store employee was one too many.

The 7-Eleven chain, with more than 32,000 stores worldwide, has instead tried to deter robberies by keeping only small amounts of cash in registers and by using security cameras.

Allegheny County police will be the lead agency in the Ingram case. They will decide what charges to file, Chief Doherty said.

good post and better outcome thanks

If I were taking odds I would bet that the clerk is about to be unemployed.
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Chief View Post
    Ditto and agreed OC.

As well it's better to lose a job than ones life.
    He breaks even.

- Jimmy The Greek
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Chief View Post
    Oh well. I guess the clerk will have to move across the street to the next quicky mart.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    ...it's better to lose a job than ones life.
    He breaks even.

- Jimmy The Greek
    thats my thought

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Ingram Police Chief John Doherty said the clerk may have fired at the robber inside and then outside the 7-Eleven store at 10 W. Prospect Ave.
    "He shot the robber several times. I'm not sure how many," Chief Doherty said in an interview.
    The gunfire began in the store about 4:30 a.m. and then apparently continued outside, he said.
    Outside? That never seems like a good idea. I think the GG mght lose more than his job.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Outside? That never seems like a good idea. I think the GG mght lose more than his job
    Depends , If the VCA menaced someone once he exited i could see a case for carrying the fight outside.
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Security cameras stop robbery?From my experience the cameras are there to watch employees.Most large companies do not care about there employees.If one gets killed,they just say'next'.

EW3
    Better fired than dead!
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    Outside? That never seems like a good idea. I think the GG mght lose more than his job.
    True, following the BG outside and shooting at him doesn't sound like a good idea based on what has been reported. But if I hear he is fired for carrying on the job I will be contacting Dallas HQ and letting them know that I will never be spending one more penny in a 7-Eleven.

If a business is going to have a policy that an employee can not defend himself, they should be supplying armed guard security.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    So if 7eleven tells their employees to just hand over the cash, then call the cops, that makes 7eleven an EASY target. Walk in, ask calmly for everything you want, tell them you have a weapon, they give it to you, and you leave. Just make sure you're wearing a nice disguise. :/ Stupid.

What I want to know is why alleged robber is getting surgery for his wounds? As far as I know, robbery is not a profession that comes with health insurance. I sure as hell hope MY tax dollars aren't going to help this SOB live. Let him die.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by P7fanatic View Post
    True, following the BG outside and shooting at him doesn't sound like a good idea based on what has been reported. But if I hear he is fired for carrying on the job I will be contacting Dallas HQ and letting them know that I will never be spending one more penny in a 7-Eleven.

If a business is going to have a policy that an employee can not defend himself, they should be supplying armed guard security.
    Do you honestly think they will care? A large boycot might be a different story...but I think you are ******* into the wind if you think it will change their policy...besides, 7-11 not known for high ticket items.

If I was the supervisor, I would most assuredly get the facts (perhaps he was being threatened outside the job), but more than likely, I would have to let him go based on a tacit approval of a violation of company policy(ies) if he stays.

I wonder now what 7-11's liability is...especially in light of chasing him out of the store and shooting?

Rick

"Security cameras stop robbery?From my experience the cameras are there to watch employees.Most large companies do not care about there employees.If one gets killed,they just say'next'"

Bingo!!! They are just watching the till and merchandise.

"So if 7eleven tells their employees to just hand over the cash, then call the cops, that makes 7eleven an EASY target. Walk in, ask calmly for everything you want, tell them you have a weapon, they give it to you, and you leave. Just make sure you're wearing a nice disguise. :/ Stupid."

The sheeple herders tell us to "just give them what they want." That includes autos, money, household stuff and female bodies. Yep, it was US policy for over 30 years to just give them the airplane. Worked so well on 9/11.

In too many cases, giving the BG what he wants still gets you killed!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links