Guard Fatally Shoots Intruder

This is a discussion on Guard Fatally Shoots Intruder within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.star-telegram.com/dallas_...ry/379326.html Guard fatally shoots intruder A man who reportedly sneaked into an east Dallas business late Wednesday was fatally shot by a man who was ...

Thread: Guard Fatally Shoots Intruder

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

http://www.star-telegram.com/dallas_...ry/379326.html

Guard fatally shoots intruder

A man who reportedly sneaked into an east Dallas business late Wednesday was fatally shot by a man who was guarding the place, police said.

The shooting was reported at 9:08 p.m. at the business in the 4300 block of Elm Street, which is east of the intersection of North Haskell Avenue. The neighborhood is a few blocks east of Baylor University Medical Center.

The man who was shot did not have an identification with him, but he appeared to be in his mid 40s, said Sgt. Bruce McDonald, a homicide detective.

A 24-year-old man, who was hired to guard the business, told police that he heard a garage door opening, but the remote-control opener had been stolen in an earlier burglary, McDonald said.

The guard then confronted the man, McDonald said. The guard said the man approached him in a threatening manner so he shot him with a handgun, McDonald said.

Investigators are trying to identify the dead man by fingerprints, McDonald said.

The case, he said, will be turned over to a Dallas County grand jury which will determine whether or not the guard should face charges for shooting the man. Texas law states that a person can use deadly force to defend themselves or their property.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
    A 24-year-old man, who was hired to guard the business, told police that he heard a garage door opening, but the remote-control opener had been stolen in an earlier burglary, McDonald said.
    After the first burglary would have been a good time to change the remote-control code. If it couldn't be changed, perhaps the garage door power could have been shut off for the night. Before we go on long trips, sometimes I remember to unplug the garage door opener and manually lock the garage door.

When we first moved into our house and had a security system installed, the security guy said we should get rid of the garage door release rope that hangs near the garage door. He said sometimes thieves will back a box truck up to the garage, drill a hole in the garage door from the privacy of the enclosed truck bed, then stick a wire in and fish out the rope... pull, and then they are into the garage. Then they close the door and proceed to break into the house from the privacy of the garage.

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    When we first moved into our house and had a security system installed, the security guy said we should get rid of the garage door release rope that hangs near the garage door. He said sometimes thieves will back a box truck up to the garage, drill a hole in the garage door from the privacy of the enclosed truck bed, then stick a wire in and fish out the rope... pull, and then they are into the garage. Then they close the door and proceed to break into the house from the privacy of the garage.
    I hadn't thought of that recently. When I picked my garage door opener, that's one thing I checked on. You can get a garage door opener that won't release with just downward tension. Mine swings down and away from the garage door so you can't do just this sort of thing.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

It'll be ruled a good shoot...+1 for the GG's
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Links