Drive home was ugly...almost turned out bad

This is a discussion on Drive home was ugly...almost turned out bad within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; One of "my boys", on his way back to base from visiting family in north Georgia for Christmas last night, was low on gas and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drive home was ugly...almost turned out bad

Drive home was ugly...almost turned out bad

One of "my boys", on his way back to base from visiting family in north Georgia for Christmas last night, was low on gas and pulled off on the next exit he comes to....somewhere around Macon....nothing on this exit and he had to drive a couple miles to find and open gas station....a mom-n-pop "stop 'n rob".

He pumps his gas using his Visa....had no cash on him.....gets in his car to leave and a "rather large and mean looking" guy get in his passenger side, brandishes a knife, and demands his cash. "My boy" has no cash so the BG has him drive to a Rite-Aid and purchase $258.18 worth of "stuff"...BG on his side the whole time...then drive him to the corner of "somewhere" and bails. The "stuff" was ingredents for meth I believe (wonder why the Rite-Aid clerk didn't alert on that purchase and call the cops herself?)

"My boy" gets to a shopping center, calls the cops, and 30 or so minutes later an investigator shows up to take his statement. Hope all the cameras worked at Rite-Aid and the corner "stop-n-rob".

After hearing all this earlier this morning I advised "my boy" to NEVER get back in the car and go ANYWHERE with a BG. Also told him to stay with the well lit, well travled truck stops and such and NEVER exit in "Podunck Junction" with nothing and no one around. He's 20 years old and I call him "my boy" because he's a student here on base going to school before going to his next command out in the fleet. His age negates his carrying a sidearm but it dosn't excuse a lack of SA and CS. I was 20 y.o. once but had a little more 'experience and common sense' I think.

He got lucky.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

2. Remove Ads

Another example of why you should keep your doors locked unless entering or exiting the car. This story is why pretty much all of the remote lock/unlock devices only unlock the driver's side door on the first button press.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Glad things worked out for his safety.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BerneyG View Post
    Another example of why you should keep your doors locked unless entering or exiting the car. This story is why pretty much all of the remote lock/unlock devices only unlock the driver's side door on the first button press.
    The actuator that unlocks the passenger door on my car has been broken for years. People ask me why I don't get it fixed....

I hope he realizes just how lucky he was!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

He was lucky...
    An additional point...took me many years to finally convince my wife that the time to fill up is when the car is 1/4 down, not 15/16 down.

Having enough gas by planning ahead could have eliminated the problem entirely...I'm sure that you have already mentioned that to him.

Stay armed...it's a jungle out there...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Wow glad he's OK, things could have turned out really bad.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by BerneyG View Post
    Bingo ^^

This is key and for him would have prevented the whole event from occurring.
    Agreed though with the OP, never ever never go anywhere with kidnapper.

Cut/stab/shoot/kill me now right here because I'm not going no where else.
    If that means I start the car, select drive, hit the gas, and toss myself out the door then well so be it.
    I'll risk being run over by my rear wheels and taking a broken arm with road rash over being kidnapped any damn day.
    Or accelerate the car hard and unexpected to the BG(s) ram something very firm and unforgiving like the side of a building.
    Seatbelts and airbag and crumple zones will save me while Stabby McStabberson in the front or rear seat will not know what hit him.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    A target of opportunity...young guy, short haircut, military sticker?, nice car? not big?, and all alone...

Rick

Yeah..... we discussed in detail locking doors while pumping, entering, exiting, etc. Also hit on the detail of gasing up before leaving and NOT waiting until he's on fumes to start looking. Berney, you said it best.

"A target of opportunity...young guy, short haircut, military sticker?, nice car? not big?, and all alone..." from bandit383
    Man did he look that part!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    One of "my boys", on his way back to base from visiting family in north Georgia for Christmas last night, was low on gas and pulled off on the next exit he comes to....somewhere around Macon....nothing on this exit and he had to drive a couple miles to find and open gas station....a mom-n-pop "stop 'n rob".

He pumps his gas using his Visa....had no cash on him.....gets in his car to leave and a "rather large and mean looking" guy get in his passenger side, brandishes a knife, and demands his cash. "My boy" has no cash so the BG has him drive to a Rite-Aid and purchase $258.18 worth of "stuff"...BG on his side the whole time...then drive him to the corner of "somewhere" and bails. The "stuff" was ingredents for meth I believe (wonder why the Rite-Aid clerk didn't alert on that purchase and call the cops herself?)

"My boy" gets to a shopping center, calls the cops, and 30 or so minutes later an investigator shows up to take his statement. Hope all the cameras worked at Rite-Aid and the corner "stop-n-rob".

After hearing all this earlier this morning I advised "my boy" to NEVER get back in the car and go ANYWHERE with a BG. Also told him to stay with the well lit, well travled truck stops and such and NEVER exit in "Podunck Junction" with nothing and no one around. He's 20 years old and I call him "my boy" because he's a student here on base going to school before going to his next command out in the fleet. His age negates his carrying a sidearm but it dosn't excuse a lack of SA and CS. I was 20 y.o. once but had a little more 'experience and common sense' I think.

He got lucky.
    Good to teach the young sailors how to stay situationally aware Chief. (I assume you are a Chief....Senior Chief or Master Chief)

Keep them in line.

Mike
    FC1 1986-1994
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    He was lucky...
    An additional point...took me many years to finally convince my wife that the time to fill up is when the car is 1/4 down, not 15/16 down.

Having enough gas by planning ahead could have eliminated the problem entirely...I'm sure that you have already mentioned that to him.

Stay armed...it's a jungle out there...stay safe!
    you are correct.i always fill up at 1/4 tank down.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.”
    ― Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Good to teach the young sailors how to stay situationally aware Chief. (I assume you are a Chief....Senior Chief or Master Chief)

Keep them in line.

Mike
    FC1 1986-1994
    ET1 (SS).....not a chief yet, just the crusty/salty LPO....but DANG if I ain't trying!

I did give the "use common sense / have a plan for anything" speech to 'em all prior to stand down......but I'll now "have" to take it another step and teach a little SA to 'em off-line.
    Earlier this summer one of our sailors here was held up at gunpoint (by 2 BG's) at a Jax mall, forced to drive to the ATM, then left after they removed his keys and cell phone. He got lucky too.
    Even if it "isn't" my job or responsability to keep 'em outta trouble, It is my job to teach/show 'em a few "tools" to use to help 'em stay outta trouble / harms way unnessesarly. One of those tools is "paying attention to detail", even when NOT at work.

Getting back in the car with a criminal may not end well. What can happen is you are leaving the present crime scene for another and potentially worse one - one where the criminal has you all alone and you are totally at his mercy. You are better off trying to stay in public - even with a potential for serious injury or death.

The technique of smashing the car rather than continue to the next (possibly worse) crime scene is a desperate but probably wise tactic.
    "The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that . . . it is their right and duty to be at all times armed. . . ." Letter from Thomas Jefferson to Justice John Cartwright (June 5, 1824)

I'm glad your boy survived! My wife has a surefire method of being safe; she has me go get her gas! (And I am happy to do it; that is the only time she trusts me to drive her car!)
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links