Interesting Bullet Trajectory Leaves Home Invader Dead

This is a discussion on Interesting Bullet Trajectory Leaves Home Invader Dead within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.columbiamissourian.com/st...on-dies-wound/ COLUMBIA — One of the intruders in an apparent home invasion in Columbia died Friday afternoon after he was shot by one of the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting Bullet Trajectory Leaves Home Invader Dead

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

Interesting Bullet Trajectory Leaves Home Invader Dead

http://www.columbiamissourian.com/st...on-dies-wound/

COLUMBIA — One of the intruders in an apparent home invasion in Columbia died Friday afternoon after he was shot by one of the occupants of the home.

Henry Lee Brown, 23, was shot as he and another intruder kicked open the front door of an apartment on Old 63 early Thursday morning, according to a news release from the Columbia Police Department. He was pronounced dead at 1:43 p.m.

Columbia police Sgt. Ken Hammond said Brown suffered a gunshot wound to the chin, which exited, then came back through his throat and became lodged in his chest. Hammond did not explain whether the bullet had ricocheted.

At just past midnight Thursday, police responded to a call of shots fired at the apartment. Two people inside told police that two men had tried to kick open the door. One of the occupants retrieved a gun from another room, shot at the intruders as they came through the door and wounded Brown.

Brown and the other unidentified man then ran from the apartment. As police talked with the two people at the scene, they were notified that Brown had been dropped off at Boone Hospital Center’s emergency room. He was later transferred to University Hospital because his injuries were so severe.

Hammond said he doubts that charges will be filed against the person who shot Brown. He said the shooting would seem to fall under the Castle Doctrine, a legal statute that says Missouri property owners are allowed to use deadly force to defend themselves against unlawful intruders.

Brown did have a criminal history that included convictions for drug crimes and for misdemeanor assault and trespassing.

Hammond confirmed that police have been in contact with the two people from the apartment but said he could not comment on their reaction to the news of Brown’s death because the investigation is ongoing.

The case remains open. Anyone with information can contact CrimeStoppers at 875-8477. Tipsters can remain anonymous and can be eligible for a reward of up to $1,500.

Through the chin and out, into the throat, and then into the chest. Possibly fired at a downward angle into the chin? Or maybe just deflected off the bones in the chin and into the throat.

Either way, a good outcome for the victims.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

2. Remove Ads

One of the occupants retrieved a gun from another room, shot at the intruders as they came through the door
    Pretty quick action for having a gun in another room. Would have been better if he had it on him, but it's hard to argue with the safe outcome. I didn't read where the intruders had a gun nor not. Not saying the victims didn't have a right to defend themselves because they most certainly did, intruder gun or not, but if the invaders had been armed and quick, it might not have turned out so well.

Good job for being as prepared as they were. I prefer on-body myself, but he got the job done and is alive because of his preparedness.

This is getting close to home. Even closer was the pizza shooting recently.

Anywhere, anytime.

Chin, throat, chest? Boy don't ya know that's gotta hurt! One question here---in an apartment or complex---are the renters actually owners? What if the actual owner of the property deems firearms off limits? What then? Just wondering. Everyone has the right to protect themselves----just thinking of legal aspects.

Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
    Columbia police Sgt. Ken Hammond said Brown suffered a gunshot wound to the chin, which exited, then came back through his throat and became lodged in his chest. Hammond did not explain whether the bullet had ricocheted.
    In light of the "shots" (plural) fired and probably copious blood, I kind of doubt whether it was actually one round that hit chin, throat and chest. Premature until an autopsy is performed, and even then it would take a pretty curious medical examiner to waste time figuring out the bullet's path. There's no question where the bullet originated, and - fortunately - no question about its effect.

Case closed. "Official" cause of death: acute failure of the victim selection process.

Sounds like the BG's head was down, like he was looking at the ground. If he rammed the door with shoulder and entered the room, he might have very well been in this position. A bullet then could take a straight path through the chin and into the throat.

Another option is shots fired from some stairs which would be the downward angle mentioned above.

All in all - a good shot.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Case closed. "Official" cause of death: acute failure of the victim selection process.
    Forgive me, but I would have a different cause of death - Stupidity.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

This just in...

Apartment Dwellers 1

Apartment Intruders 0

Final Score...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array mech1369dlw's Avatar
    Another one bites the dust,
    Another one bites the dust.
    And another one's gone,
    And another one's gone,
    Another one bites the dust.
    Hey Hey!!

Henry Lee, didn't your mother ever tell you that you ain't supposed to open someone else's door with your feet late at night? Hopefully, they will find this hammerhead's friend and charge him with murder. The pool gets clean every time someone defends themselves.
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

Wow, there really is a magic bullet!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

not sure what kinda rounds those are, but i want some :D
    War is not the ugliest of things. Worse is the decayed state of moral feeling which thinks nothing is worth a war. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which he cares for more than his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free. -J.S. Mill

Bullets are funny. It reinforces the fact that it is always better not to get shot.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

VIP Member
    I am almost willing to bet a whole dollar that one bullet hit the chin and got deflected into entering the throat. The chest wound probably was caused by a second bullet.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

could have been one bullet

As the neck is connected to the chest, if the bullet entered the neck and travelled south it would end up in the chest. I saw a single shot into the mouth, bounce off the spine in the neck and travel through the chest and into the abdomen

AH

I know I wouldn't have stopped pulling the trigger after just one shot. There were two guys breaking into the apartment. It seems like the other guy should have received a taste of Castle Doctrine medicine, too.

The BG's hits can stem from one round. Bullets act funny sometimes inside human tissue/bone.

In one night, I saw 2 guys shot in the cranium. One was made to eat a .38 revolver by his own son and the trigger was pulled. Dude did not die. the round shattered lower front teeth and mandible but expanded all its energy there. 2 hours later, dude came in with a GSW to the back of the head. Apparently, he was running and some guys he had a disagreement with shot him as he has stumbling somewhat. the 9 mm round (I think it was ball ammo) entered the back of his head( occiput), travelled through his skull and lodge in the left portion of his head/skull... a few inches above his left ear. bleed like crazy but the round did not enter the cranium.
    "embrace the suck" - our warriors in the sandbox... it implies that do the best you can in impossible conditions.
    "no plan survives intact upon contact with the enemy" - wisdom of the Grunts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links