This is what harms our cause - Page 3

This is what harms our cause

This is a discussion on This is what harms our cause within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by bandit383 I do not agree with the media bashing...maybe the commentaries...but in this case and many others (including the home defenses), they ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: This is what harms our cause

Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    I do not agree with the media bashing...maybe the commentaries...but in this case and many others (including the home defenses), they attempt to report the facts without speculation. What I find a bit disengenuous is everytime something like this happens...somehow it gets twisted to being a democrat, liberal, media fault instead of attempting to understand the noner views and how we can best mintigate those views...know thy enemy mentality.

I will speculate that he had a CCW...but more importantly...the noners will speculate that he had. As for a drinking establishment, don't know TN laws...in OK, it is ok as long as food is served.

Rick
    Rick,

Thanks for the discussion. It is always good to have a chance to bat back and forth some of our opinions.

As to the charge of media-bashing:
    I think many of us on this forum get tired of and frustrated with reporting that is so inaccurate that it is hard NOT to wonder if there is an agenda. It doesn't take MUCH research to figure out that 9mm pistols are not 'high powered' or that semi-automatic weapons fire 'hundreds of rounds per second.' This kind of stuff happens so often that you cannot help but wonder if the reporting is so poor due to either bias or incompetence. I am personally open to either interpretation, but one or the other must be true: an anti-gun agenda, or such shoddy reporting as to be nearly worthless. In other words, in response to your comment that the media reports without speculation - most media reportage is WITH speculation because of the lack of real facts.

It is also an intellectual exercise to think about some of these events, but most often the lack of information is so great that it is mostly speculation on our parts as to what may have actually happened, and how we might respond in a similar situation. In this case, the reporter doesn't tell us if the shooter brought the gun into the restaurant (which is against the law in TN if it serves alcohol, something Hooters surely does) or went outside to retrieve it from a vehicle; we don't have eyewitness information about whether the perp was drunk/drinking, etc.

Again, thanks for getting our thinking caps working. It makes for a better lazy Sunday afternoon.
    Last edited by miklcolt45; December 30th, 2007 at 06:36 PM. Reason: clarity
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

From what I read every single day, reporters are biased because they are incompetent, and incompetent because they are biased.

A rookie reporter, in ignorance, may write one story where he calls guns "machine guns. After he gets hundreds of nasty letters painstakingly explaining the facts to him, he has no excuse.

I've read accounts from a number of places that media people PRIDE themselves in their ignorance.

--Travis--

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TravisABQ View Post
    ...That is an extreme, but to some degree, many people are infected with that thinking.

--Travis--
    Yes there are ("many")...the point I was attempting to make...and this article/incident does nothing but fuel that thinking.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    Rick,

Thanks for the discussion. It is always good to have a chance to bat back and forth some of our opinions.
    Ditto miklcolt45...

Rick

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TravisABQ View Post
    From what I read every single day, reporters are biased because they are incompetent, and incompetent because they are biased.

Agreed. From my experience, the more one knows about a particular subject, the more one can recognize the abysmal ignorance of the press/media concerning the same particular subject. I personally doubt that most of these people know anything about anything other than how to "appear authoritative" or "sound knowledgeable" to those who are even more ignorant than they. The scary thought is, that many people do not recognize or understand this....

Quote Originally Posted by falcon1 View Post
    Agreed. From my experience, the more one knows about a particular subject, the more one can recognize the abysmal ignorance of the press/media concerning the same particular subject. I personally doubt that most of these people know anything about anything other than how to "appear authoritative" or "sound knowledgeable" to those who are even more ignorant than they. The scary thought is, that many people do not recognize or understand this....
    ...and they vote.

Rick

They caught the guy who shot up the Hooters Restaurant. He's dead.

http://www.wate.com/Global/story.asp?S=7559113

KNOXVILLE (WATE) -- A man suspected of killing one man and injuring another after a dispute over a bar tab was shot and killed by police Sunday after a chase in West Knoxville.
    Raising children is like being pecked to death by a chicken every day.

At least they saved the cost of a trial and jail. This is really a sad story all the way around. Pure speculation but I suspect that drugs were involved.

The shooters family spokeswoman made the comment to the press that the only time the parents of this guy were able to rest was when he was in jail. You could read into her words that they accept his death as something that was bound to happen.
    He was supposed to be on medication, which he refused to take, and had just assaulted one of his parents and escaped (from the sheriff's deputies) out a window of their home a few days earlier.
    This is another tale of a derranged individual getting his hands on a gun illegally and innocent people paying the price. In this case a father of 8 died as the shooter sprayed a few rounds through the door and windows of Hooters. Another man was wounded. The shooter went down by two of Knoxville's finest. My prayers are with the family of the deceased father of 8, and the Hooters manager who was wounded.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links