This is what harms our cause

This is what harms our cause

This is a discussion on This is what harms our cause within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/12/29/res....ap/index.html Don't know if he had a CCW...but to the lay person...why guns are under attack...perceptions (voters) are reality (shooter). I wonder if he had ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 39

Thread: This is what harms our cause

  1. #1
    Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    1,681

    This is what harms our cause

    http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/12/29/res....ap/index.html

    Don't know if he had a CCW...but to the lay person...why guns are under attack...perceptions (voters) are reality (shooter).

    I wonder if he had any mental problems??

    Rick


  2. #2
    VIP Member Array grady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Near St. Louis, Missouri
    Posts
    2,837
    It may harm our cause with some, but to me, it further justifies my need to carry everywhere.

  3. #3
    VIP Member Array Janq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    6,781
    I'm gonna go ahead and take a guess that the dude does have "mental problems".
    My basis being on that fact that normal average healthy sane and clear thinking Hooters customers tend to pay their bill and not shoot the place up.

    - Dr. Phil
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

    "A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

  4. #4
    Member Array critterhog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    390
    After nidnight getting kicked out. Something also tells me that this guy was also drunk. Two things that don't go together, guns and drunk.
    Friendship... is not something you learn in school. But if you haven't learned the meaning of friendship, you really haven't learned anything.
    Muhammad Ali

  5. #5
    VIP Member Array Ti Carry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Under Cover
    Posts
    2,035
    Doesn't sound like any ccw permit holder I know. To be honest, this sort of thing helps the cause or it should if the anti media would see the light and quit telling lies and speading false information for the scare factor and effect to the sheep wetting themselves every night while watching the news.

    I truely hope he doesn't have a permit cause that would be bad. I would wager that he got those new mixed drinks that hooters is offering now that are $9.95 a pop that are not a listed price and they don't tell you unless you ask or you find out when you get the bill, that's how we found out cause in our heads we thought $4-$6 a piece, not $10. I went to lunch with some venders a week or two ago and the bill was like $150.00 for 3 people and I wasn't drinking anything but serria mist and I got a normal amount of food. Those drinks add up quickly. That will be the demise of hooters.


    Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

    I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

  6. #6
    Senior Member Array Rossman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Bass Lake, CA
    Posts
    551
    I agree with Jang

  7. #7
    Member Array Danger Mouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Cumberland, VA
    Posts
    362
    Quote Originally Posted by critterhog View Post
    After nidnight getting kicked out. Something also tells me that this guy was also drunk. Two things that don't go together, guns and drunk.
    Thats right,
    If your gonna drink, dont drive!
    If your gonna drink, dont carry!!
    If your gonna argue, leave the gun home!!!

    thats what I say anyways. I love to drink, but I know my limits and my responsibilities too. Sounds to me as if this man was a hot head.
    Think twice
    Buy once!

  8. #8
    Member Array rmarcustrucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Twinsburg, Ohio
    Posts
    323
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    I'm gonna go ahead and take a guess that the dude does have "mental problems".
    YEP, just remember 1% of our population are mentaly ill. I had the pleasure of helping out at a mental hospital / rehab center years ago.

    We could devote a whole board to the different degrees of illness i've seen in the hospital and in my p/t job.

    Interesting but spooky stuff. I met an "angel", Joan of Arc, Jesus' unknown half brother, someone who claimed to be a wolf (only during special full moons. One of the true sociopaths. He was doing a dry run with a briefcase in a limousine when his limo driver overheard him talking to himself. This was about 8 years ago. He was going from Ohio to DC, and the driver did call the police. Upon questioning him he was pink slipped, and when he came to our place the FBI and Secret Service kept an eye on him. He was on there "watch list". Having had mental issues all his life and the fact that he is a PHD in chemistry.

  9. #9
    VIP Member Array goldshellback's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    OKC; by way of St. Mayberry, GA
    Posts
    4,750
    Quote Originally Posted by User Name View Post
    Thats right,
    If your gonna drink, dont drive!
    If your gonna drink, dont carry!!
    If your gonna argue, leave the gun home!!!

    thats what I say anyways. I love to drink, but I know my limits and my responsibilities too. Sounds to me as if this man was a hot head.
    +1 !

    I love an 'adult' beverage every now and again......
    but I do so with NO firearm, NO car keys, and certinly NO
    arguementive demeaner.
    .......and enough duckies to cover the tab!
    Last edited by goldshellback; December 29th, 2007 at 01:43 PM. Reason: to shunt the caboose to my train of thought.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

    (Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

  10. #10
    VIP Member Array ccw9mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    28,244
    Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    This is what harms our cause
    On the contrary, I think its the perfect example of why we all carry. At any time, anywhere, crime can boil over. Had this guy had a couple of higher-capacity units in his car, it could have been Luby's Cafe all over again. Just a hair's breadth from being just that.

    Why do I carry? Because I never know what's going to unfold.

    I wonder if he had any mental problems??
    That goes without saying, though the shooter probably wouldn't think so.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

  11. #11
    Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    1,681
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    On the contrary, I think its the perfect example of why we all carry. At any time, anywhere, crime can boil over. Had this guy had a couple of higher-capacity units in his car, it could have been Luby's Cafe all over again. Just a hair's breadth from being just that..
    ...but you miss the point...in the noners (non-CCWs, anti-gunners) eyes,that far far outnumber the pro-CCWers, and who vote...this is a poster child example. It is in my category of one ahhh stuff kills all the atta boys...guy goes to a resturant, probably has too many drinks, gets into a ******* contest and then pulls out his gun to shoot the place up. It is the loose cannons that the noners fear...and they vote with those fears. In essence, why you see an erosion (sp) of 2A rights as we know them.

    Rick
    Last edited by Scott; August 20th, 2008 at 06:51 AM. Reason: removed profanity workaround

  12. #12
    Moderator
    Array RETSUPT99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    45,466
    Unless I missed something in the article, this guy did not have a permit...therefore, he is just another dirtbag with a gun...
    I don't view it as a direct attack (media type) on permit holders.
    It certainly is a nice article for the Brady Bunch to promote their venom...but what's new with that?

    Stay armed...for the aforementioned info...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

    ***********************************
    Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

  13. #13
    Member Array phaed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Fort Huachuca, AZ
    Posts
    453
    our actions are either legitimate or not based on their own merit. whether a person is drinking or not is irrelevant. "because he was drunk" shouldn't ever into crimes. people need to be held accountable for all of their actions, regardless of their condition during them. you guys are opening up the door for more needless gun legislation by saying you shouldn't be able to carry or have a gun around when you are above a .08 BAC.

    there was a recent HD where the homeowner was twice the legal limit. should he now be arrested for defending himself?
    War is not the ugliest of things. Worse is the decayed state of moral feeling which thinks nothing is worth a war. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which he cares for more than his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free. -J.S. Mill

  14. #14
    Senior Moderator
    Array HotGuns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    15,119
    ...but you miss the point...in the noners (non-CCWs, anti-gunners) eyes,that far far outnumber the pro-CCWers, and who vote...this is a poster child example. It is in my category of one ahhh stuff kills all the atta boys...guy goes to a resturant, probably has too many drinks, gets into a ******* contest and then pulls out his gun to shoot the place up. It is the loose cannons that the noners fear...and they vote with those fears. In essence, why you see an erosion (sp) of 2A rights as we know them.
    First of all, every single time some wacko goes and shoot somebody or gets stupid with a gun, somewhere, someone is going to wake up and see the light and decide that the world really is getting crazier by the day and they will arm themselves.

    These are what I call the "silent ones". They don't make a fuss about it, they just show up and the next concealed carry class and decide to carry a gun for their protection and the protection of their loved ones. You never hear about these people, but the numbers are great.

    I've talked to different Instructors around the state, and the stories are the same. Their classes have been full of folks that didnt consider themselves "gun people" but they saw the need and took responsibility for their own protection.

    Examples of this can be seen right here on this board. There are a lot of people here that are "new" to the idea of concealed carry and are looking to this forum to educate themselves, and I think that this forum does a good job at that.

    Fact of the matter is, in the last decade, 30 something states have gone to SHALL issue permits, and all but 2 states have MAY issue permits. That tells me that the Second Amendment movement is actually stronger now, than it was 20 years ago. Even the Democrats, understand that harping about guns is not the way to win votes and they even conceded the fact that it cost them the last election.

    There will always be attacks on the right to bear arms. There always have been. Now, that the U.S. is one of the few countries left in the world that citizens can actually own weapons and use them for their defense, the international outcry against firearms will become louder because WE are the focus of their intentions to disarm everyone in the world except for Military.

    I think its important to remain vigilant about our gun laws, because they are under constant attack....but every time someone arms themselves, the voice of the gun owner becomes just a little bit louder...and its already becoming loud enough that people are taking notice.
    Last edited by Scott; August 20th, 2008 at 06:53 AM. Reason: edited quoted text
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.


    AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

  15. #15
    Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    1,681
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    These are what I call the "silent ones". They dont make a fuss about it, they just show up and the next concealed carry class and decide to carry a gun for their protection and the protection of their loved ones. You never hear about these people, but the numbers are great.

    Examples of this can be seen right here on this board. There are a lot of people here that are "new" to the idea of concealed carry and are looking to this forum to educate themselves, and I think that this forum does a good job at that..
    Good points HG...but I disagree with the numbers being great when looking at the whole. I believe the great state of Oklahoma has somewhere between 30-40K CCWs. Some states have more, some less...but estimate 1.5M CCWs in the the country...versus the 200+M voters...at best 1% CCWs.

    I totally agree with the forum and the discussions...knowledge is good.

    Rick

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •