DC gun violence up - Page 3

DC gun violence up

This is a discussion on DC gun violence up within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Janq You know what's funny. DC has the number one highest violent crime in America, per the DoJ U.S. Bureau of Justice ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: DC gun violence up

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    You know what's funny.

DC has the number one highest violent crime in America, per the DoJ U.S. Bureau of Justice statistics. Bordering state Maryland is 4th while VA which borders the other side of DC is 36th.
    What is the difference between VA and MD? Largely nothing other than that one is a dangerous place to live with it's citizens by law being held defenseless while the other, largely is not.
    Additional information toward as much for all states can be found at; 'State Crime Estimates, 1960-2005' - http://bjsdata.ojp.usdoj.gov/dataonl...ystatelist.cfm

- Janq
    Actually if you study per capita income, education level and unemployment rates you will see the major differences. The two areas that border DC in VA have much higher per capita incomes, higher education levels and lower unemployment than the areas in DC and Maryland where crime is most prevalent. Compare Arlington County and Alexandria City to PG County, MD and 1, 5, 6 and 7th Districts. You can use the entire District of Columbia, but if you look at a crime plot, little violent crime occurs in the 2, 3 and 4th districts. No I'm not saying violent crime is non-existent in those areas, just much, much lower. You can also compare PG County with Montgomery County in Maryland.

As much as I would like to take the simple answer that the only differences are guns are allowed in VA and not in DC and MD, it isn't the only major difference, and the other factors certainly play a role. What might change some is if law abiding citizens would/could arm themselves for protection. However, given the demographics of these areas I find it unlikely that a great number of people would arm themselves for protection.

I lived in PG County Maryland in an apartment that backed to District Heights. I have been there and done that when it comes to a high crime neighborhood. I'll bet Janq and some others know where I was and how nice a neighborhood it was, and can probably guess how often I had "issues" because I am white.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

I wasn't comparing at all DC to either, just the state as a whole of MD and the state as a whole of VA.
    The states as a whole which largely does not border DC for both states, not just PG an Montgomery Counties (MD) and Arlington and Alexandria counties (VA), are very similar on the whole inclusive of per capita income, education, and employment.
    The DoJ stats I cited are for the states as a whole not select counties that happen to border DC.

BTW like 20 yrs. ago District Heights used to be a nice working class blue collar family community.
    Twenty five to 30 yrs. ago PG County was predominately white with minorities being very much in the minority.
    Man oh man how things have changed. :(
    As much as I love DC in my heart, it's damn sad. I'll not return and definitely would not raise my family there even as it's home for me and has been for my family for four generations on my fathers side. Damn sad.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Could be! Maybe some floated down the Potomac into the Congress Heights neighborhood. I thought the new baseball stadium was down there (anacostia).
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links