Long Island Man Convicted for Shooting Teenager

This is a discussion on Long Island Man Convicted for Shooting Teenager within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I think an useful comparison can be drawn from this thread: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ad.php?t=38916 Drunk teen thrown out of friend's house for acting violent. He won't leave, ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Long Island Man Convicted for Shooting Teenager

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    I think an useful comparison can be drawn from this thread:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ad.php?t=38916

Drunk teen thrown out of friend's house for acting violent. He won't leave, homeowner locks doors and BG tries to break in. Home calls 911 and incident plays out on 911. Guy breaks in 2nd floor, chases them, and the homeowner shoots him. Homeowner tries to give first aid to badguy. Guy continues to resist and homeowner shoots him twice more and kills him.

DA says shooting is justified. No charges.

Here we see our homeowner acting correctly: Bad guy sent outside and doors locked. 911 called very early in incident. Homeowner waited until BG was an immediate threat (after he broke into the house and chased them) and responded with lethal force. Then tried to give BG first aid. As the BG continued to struggle (a threat), he shot him twice more.

Last edited by nutz4utwo; January 5th, 2008 at 06:18 PM. Reason: oops...

2. Remove Ads

Another pasta stretcher chiming in here.

Morally justifiable, ethically wrong. Poor judgments made on all sides and it all apparently started with one little lie by a teenage girl. One way or another this was going to play out. Be it at the home that night, or some other night on the street when the group of kids decided to jump the other, maybe at the local McDonald's.

More crap has been started than I care to remember or think about over the words or actions of 1 female.

Agreed, should have stayed inside and dialed 911 and got a paper trail started. Probably would have still played out down the road, minors after all are not responsible for their actions. They (kids) have learned that for the most part they can do what ever they want and either mommy and daddy will bail them out, or once they turn 18 they are free and clear, records sealed forever.

the prosecutor that states a shotgun and a pistol is an arsenal because it is unused for hunting.

And of course, once again, all we have is what the media gives us. We were not there, we were not in court, we do not have access to the official documents. The fact that the jury was deadlocked says something.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    all over a piece of A**
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

Update: Black New York Man Who Shot White Teen Gets 2 to 4 Years in Prison

As reported today by ABCNews.com:

Prison for N.Y. Man in Racial Shooting
    Black New York Man Who Shot White Teen Gets 2 to 4 Years in Prison

This undated photo supplied by the Suffolk County District Attorney's office shows John White, whose manslaughter trial began Tuesday, Nov. 27, 2007. White is charged with second-degree manslaughter in the shooting death August 9, 2006 of 17-year-old Daniel Cicciaro, of Port Jefferson Station, N.Y. Cicciaro was shot during a dispute outside the defendant's home. (Suffolk County District Attorney's office/AP Photo)

By FRANK ELTMAN Associated Press Writer
    RIVERHEAD, N.Y. Mar 19, 2008 (AP)

A black father was sentenced to two to four years in prison Wednesday for fatally shooting an intoxicated white teenager during a racially charged confrontation with two carloads of young people at the end of his driveway.

The parents of victim Daniel Cicciaro Jr., 17, were irate after learning that John White did not receive the maximum sentence of up to 15 years in prison.

White, 54, was convicted in December of second-degree manslaughter and a weapons charge.

"Let's see what happens when Aaron White gets shot!" the victim's father shouted afterward, referring to White's teenage son.

At least 18 officers kept order in the packed courtroom; several hundred people awaited the verdict in the hallway. Afterward, supporters, including sobbing teenage girls, gathered with the Cicciaro family outside the courthouse.

White was led away in handcuffs, but his attorneys planned to seek approval from a higher court to let him remain free pending appeal.

"I've always remained remorseful about this incident," White told the judge.

At the trial, the defense invoked the nation's violent racist past in arguing the shooting was justified, referring to the teenagers as a "lynch mob."

The defense said it perceived Cicciaro's remark outside court as a threat and demanded an immediate investigation. Prosecutors said they were considering referring the matter to police.

White, 54, testified that he was trying to protect his family on a hot August night in 2006 when he got his gun after a group of angry white teenagers turned up at his house late at night to fight his son. He claimed the weapon discharged accidentally, killing Cicciaro.

Cicciaro, who had a blood-alcohol reading above the legal limit for driving, was just 3 inches from the pistol when he was shot in the face, a medical examiner testified.

White said Aaron, 19, had wakened him around 11 p.m. to tell him he had been feuding with other teens after being asked to leave a party and a group of the teens was headed to their house in Miller Place, a predominantly white community on eastern Long Island.

The story can be found at; ABC News: Prison for N.Y. Man in Racial Shooting

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Musketeer... You sound a little biased

He shouldn't have left his house. This is an example of emotion getting the upper hand, which is a very bad thing, always. However, there are mitigating factors: the kids were wrong to do what they did, and the racist epithets amped up the problem. I think he should get a reduced sentence.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    just saw the sentencing ruling. I really am not sure if it is appropriate or not. Certainly he made mistakes, and given the circumstances, I am happy he is going to prison. 2 Years? Maybe out in parole in half that time...probably not enough when your poor decisions taking of someone's life.

the father of the teenager killed seems like a real piece of work. Obviously he is angry, but I fear that his poor parenting skills are partly to blame for his son's death.

"a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

I agree with Musketeer on this one; think for a moment about how differently things had gone if Mr. White had just tried to make peace with a mob of drunken teens spoiling for a fight? or if the police had been called out. That situation would have eventually boiled over anyway from the sound of it. When someone is angry enough to confront them at their home, especially in front of their family, you are stepping across a line in life.

In fact, the case before the court yesterday is about situations like the one that is the subject of this thread. I know this for a fact - Down here in Texas where I live, there would have been no conviction, and probably no indictment either, because the right to defend yourself and your property is much more clearly defined. I know most people here probably feel like this was very bad judgement, and for the most part it probably was.

However, I submit:

1) If the kids were on his property, he should have had a right to confront them, because evil intentions should be confronted. I don't know if they were on his property or not, so I am just assuming.

2) I don't care if they were unarmed or not. Three or four guys is more than just about any person can handle, even a trained policeman. I don't care if your name is Chick Norris or not. If you dont believe me, just watch the UFCs and tell me that you could manage to stay away from three or four guys all coming after you at once.

3) Thats why the man reached for the gun, the great equalizer. If one of those kids is stupid and drunk enough to reach for someones' gun he is just plum crazy and deserves exactly what he got.

In my estimation, when the weapon comes out, its time to leave because we are not playing anymore. Yes, some poor judgement may have been used due to the locale and the deadly force statutes, but I think the guy should definitely appeal this one as far as he needs to because I think he has a legit self-defense case.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Senior Moderator
    He left the house and initiated the physical confrontation.

He was absolutely in the wrong as soon as he did that, and his conviction bears this out.

Bottom line - when invited to do something stupid by some drunken idiots, decline.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Agreed Matt, 100%.

Stay in your house...do not go engage trouble and bring trouble with you only to claim innocence/self defense after the sparks fly.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

"Stay in your house...do not go engage trouble and bring trouble with you only to claim innocence/self defense after the sparks fly.'

Very good advice.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links