Robbinsdale Home Invasion

This is a discussion on Robbinsdale Home Invasion within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This is a sad scenario that occurred the other day here in MN. The couple apparently opened their unlocked door to armed invaders and the ...

Thread: Robbinsdale Home Invasion

Robbinsdale Home Invasion

This is a sad scenario that occurred the other day here in MN. The couple apparently opened their unlocked door to armed invaders and the homeowner was murdered. My doors are always locked. I check who is outside knocking before I open to anyone, and most important I am always armed, even at home.

http://www.startribune.com/local/west/12982406.html

Robbinsdale police: Burglars may have hit wrong house
    By Jim Adams, Star Tribune

Last update: January 2, 2008 - 6:08 PM

Two burglars who broke into a home in a quiet Robbinsdale neighborhood and shot and killed the homeowner — and injured his wife and two guests early New Year’s Day — may have targeted the wrong house, Robbinsdale police said Wednesday.
    “We see no connection” between the home invasion and the couple living in the home, said Police Chief Wayne Shellum. He said the couple had no criminal history and detectives suspect the burglars intended to hit another home in the same 2700 block of York Avenue N., which is just a few blocks from North Memorial Medical Center and near Theodore Wirth Parkway.

The call came in as a robbery with shots fired and the two armed men took wallets, jewelry and other valuables from the four people in the couple's home, Shellum said.

The victim, Jamis Marks, 28, died from multiple gun shot wounds in a homicide, the Hennepin County medical examiner ruled today. He was pronounced dead at North Memorial, a few blocks north of their home. His wife, who is staying elsewhere, and one other guest were assaulted and were treated at the hospital and released, Shellum said.
    Shellum said the incident began with a knock on the couple's door after they and their friends had returned home from a New Year's Eve dinner at a Bloomington night club. The door was open and the armed men forced their way into the home.

"It was a shock to the neighorhood and the whole city," Shellum said, adding that home invasions seldom happen in the first-ring suburb.

"It was a real tragedy," said a neighbor, who asked not to be identified. She said Marks and his wife were a pleasant couple who moved in about a year ago and were excited about fixing up their home.

Neighbors said the neighborhood, which is near Theodore Wirth Parkway and North Memorial, has very little crime and has many young families with children.

Police are looking for two, dark-skinned black men believed to be in their early 20s. One is about 175 pounds and about 6 feet tall. The other is 250 pounds and 6-foot-1 to 6-foot-3.

Anyone with information is asked to call police at 763-531-1220.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

2. Remove Ads

That is really sad. I live in Brooklyn Park, just up the road from Robbinsdale, and the crime there (and here) has been getting steadily worse over the years. I heard 5 gunshots that sounded awfully close to our apartment last night.
    I have been warning my girlfriend about the increasing occurance of these "hot" burglaries, and I told her it was only a matter of time before they started happening in our area. She's a stay-home mother of our 2 month old son; I make sure whichever pistol I'm not carrying is within easy reach for her before I leave the house (she knows how to use them both).

Hopefully, Robbinsdale's finest doesn't put Officer Landen Beard on the case.....

http://www.twincities.com/allheadlin...nclick_check=1
    G17, G26

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...

Folks forget that bad guys go fishing where there's more to catch. Except for gang-related shootings (I call them retroactive birth control) they're not going to pursue targets that have nothing to offer. Stay safe, you unaware sheep!

After reading this, I'll be giving the dogs some extra goodies tonight!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Did someone mention answering the door armed...and knowing who it is BEFORE you open it? Mmmmmm

Sorry to hear of the ending...hope the BG's become 'lead magnents' very soon!

Stay armed...even at home...stay safe!
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; January 4th, 2008 at 12:03 AM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Here is an update. I don't know where the police come up with the idea that this may be a mistake. It could just as easily be a crime of opportunity. The thugs see these folks enter the house at 2:30 AM and go after them.

“Tim Schwartz, 53, who lives down the street, said that a neighbor lady was shaken by the shooting and that she planned to start locking her doors.”We have to be on guard," he added. "I sure hope this isn't a sign of more to come."

This lady “plans” to start locking her doors. Good grief they don’t even take this basic precaution. Sometimes people just amaze me. That and the fact that they just opened the door to a knock at 2:30 in the morning. Maybe I am too old but there is no way I open a door to a knock at that hour without knowing exactly who is outside.

Fatal robbery: Wrong house?
    Robbinsdale police are looking into whether a robbery at the wrong house led to the slaying of Jamis Marks, 28, who had returned home with his wife and friends from a New Year's Eve celebration.

By JIM ADAMS, Star Tribune

Last update: January 2, 2008 - 11:38 PM

Robbinsdale police said Wednesday that they are looking into whether a robbery at the wrong house led to the slaying of a man who had returned home with his wife and friends from a New Year's Eve celebration.

"We see no connection between the victims and the suspects," said Robbinsdale Chief Wayne Shellum.

Police warned residents in the normally quiet neighborhood to be extra vigilant after Jamis Marks, 28, was shot to death.

"It was a shock to the neighborhood and the whole city," Shellum said, adding that he hadn't seen such a crime in his 32 years of police work. Police are investigating the possibility that the robbers hit the wrong house, he said.

Shellum said the Markses had no criminal history.

Tim Schwartz, 53, who lives down the street, said that a neighbor lady was shaken by the shooting and that she planned to start locking her doors. "We have to be on guard," he added. "I sure hope this isn't a sign of more to come."

After a New Year's Eve dinner with another couple, Jamis Marks and his wife, Heather, 29, and their friends returned to the Marks' Robbinsdale home about 2:30 a.m. Tuesday when they heard a knock at the door. They opened it and two armed men forced their way inside the rambler, which is a block from Theodore Wirth Parkway.

Within minutes, the robbers' threats and demands for valuables spurred Jamis Marks to grab for one of the gunmen's weapons. A struggle ensued, and Marks was shot several times. The two men collected wallets, jewelry and cell phones and fled as the victims locked deadbolts behind them.

Heather Marks, who also had been assaulted, called 911 for help. But before police arrived, the robbers apparently returned and tried unsuccessfully to kick in the door before fleeing again, Shellum said.

The burglars may have hit the wrong house, the chief said, citing some information the victims said they overheard. Their home, in the 2700 block of York Avenue N., is few blocks south of North Memorial Medical Center, not far from the north Minneapolis and Golden Valley borders.

Schwartz said it was "a senseless thing, especially a young couple like that."

Neighbors said the Markses were a pleasant couple who moved in about a year ago and were excited about fixing up their home in a neighborhood with many young families. Jamis Marks' family members couldn't be reached Wednesday.

Jamis Marks, a real estate agent, died from multiple gunshot wounds, the Hennepin County medical examiner ruled Wednesday. He was pronounced dead at North Memorial, where his wife and the other couple were treated and released, Shellum said.

Police, with help from Hennepin County sheriff's deputies, were going door to door in the neighborhood Wednesday night looking for clues, Shellum said. He said two unarmed men assaulted and robbed a man of his wallet Dec. 26 in an alley about a block from the couple's home.

In addition, Schwartz said two neighborhood women were robbed last month, one while shoveling her walk, the other after getting off the bus at nearby West Broadway. He said that there are few street lights in the area and that he was concerned about his two daughters.

Shellum asked residents to call police if they see suspicious people or vehicles and warned them not to open doors to people they don't know. "I'd be extra vigilant," he said.

He noted that the descriptions of the two suspects are similar to those of two men who attacked Hennepin County Commissioner Mike Opat in his driveway in November. While declining to disclose some details for investigative reasons, police said that both suspects were in their early 20s and that both cases involved one suspect who was considerably heavier than the other.

Opat, who lives in the 4500 block of York Avenue N., broke away and ran, but the men who attacked him stole his wallet, Jeep and cell phone.

Anyone with information about the case is asked to call police at 763-531-1220.

The city's last homicide was in July 2002 when a 17-year-old man was stabbed to death in his home by Robert L. Scott, 19, who lived a few blocks away. Scott pleaded to second-degree murder.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

The key problem of this story is the following report; "The door was open and the armed men forced their way into the home.".

Friends and family go out to dinner, come home late a night to an affluent neighborhood, they all pile out of their car(s) and enter the residence...and no one thinks to check and lock the door to which they entered.
    Moments later criminals noting an opportunity come to find an open (unlocked) door and the rest is not at all forced but open entry trespass and subsequent to that assaults and shots fired.

Lesson reaffirmed?
    Lock your door behind you, this case is why doors have locks on them.

- Schlage
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Not to mention......

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    The key problem of this story is the following report; "The door was open and the armed men forced their way into the home.".

Friends and family go out to dinner, come home late a night to an affluent neighborhood, they all pile out of their car(s) and enter the residence...and no one thinks to check and lock the door to which they entered.
    Moments later criminals noting an opportunity come to find an open (unlocked) door and the rest is not at all forced but open entry trespass and subsequent to that assaults and shots fired.

Lesson reaffirmed?
    Lock your door behind you, this case is why doors have locks on them.

- Schlage

Not to mention why would you just answer a knock at your door at 2:30 in the morning without verifying who is at the door? Not in my house that wouldn’t happen. I check who is there first and I have a gun at the ready. Nobody knocks at my door at that hour so my first thought is this can’t be good.

Yep. ^^

Uncommon sense.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Gads I am glad that I am far away from any city! I am armed and my doors are locked just the same tho.

Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe View Post
    Not to mention why would you just answer a knock at your door at 2:30 in the morning without verifying who is at the door?
    That's typical Minnesotan liberal thinking..... you don't need to worry about anything, because you can dial 911 and the police will save you. Like lambs to the slaughter.

Wrong house? Sounds like the dirt bags had the right house to me. Now, if one of the homeowners would've had the sense to arm themselves and get some training, then it'd have been the wrong house.
    G17, G26

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...

Here is a recent update. Check out the history of these two creeps. One guy is running around our neighborhoods with drug possession, obstructing police, 3 robbery arrests, and 2 weapon possession arrests along with being affiliated with the Emerson Murder Boys Gang. Hard to believe but the System seems to have failed once again. This is why I do not rely on it at all and why I carry all the time.

Robbinsdale home invasion: 2 'persons of interest' identified
    Police have been tracking two "persons of interest" in the Robbinsdale home invasion in which Jamis Marks, 28, was shot to death on New Year's day.

By JIM ADAMS, Star Tribune

Last update: January 23, 2008 - 10:17 PM

Police have identified two Minneapolis men as "persons of interest" in the Robbinsdale home invasion during which a 28-year-old man was shot to death on New Year's Day.
    According to court documents, the two 22-year-old men, who have bragged about participating in violent robberies, have been under police surveillance, and police have obtained one man's cell phone records. The records show his phone was in the area of the home invasion shortly after the slaying, but no calls were made during the time of the forced entry and robbery.
    Robbinsdale Police Chief Wayne Shellum said that the two men are "persons of interest" but that no arrests are imminent. "We are exploring all the angles on everyone we come up with," he said.
    A police informant said the two men had worked together at a grocery store.
    The killing shocked Robbinsdale and Shellum, who said he had never seen such a brutal crime in his career.
    Two men armed with rifles forced their way into the home of Jamis and Heather Marks about 2:35 a.m. on Jan. 1, shortly after they and another couple returned after a night out for New Year's Eve. As the robbers took watches, jewelry, credit cards and cell phones and made threats, Marks grabbed for a rifle, and was shot in the ensuing struggle. The Markses' guests suffered minor injuries.
    The surviving man dead-bolted the door as the robbers fled. Then the victims heard the door being kicked as the gunmen apparently tried to reenter before fleeing again. After they left, Heather Marks called police, and one of the visiting friends told the dispatcher Jamis Marks had been shot in the neck and chest.

A history of robbery

A police affidavit in a search warrant filed in Hennepin County District Court noted that two robbers shot Marks with .22-caliber slugs. The document also said:
    One of the 22-year-olds was found last April to have .22-caliber ammunition in his pocket when police found him in an area where other aggravated robberies had occurred. He is also known to drive a Chrysler Sebring, similar to the car a neighbor's security camera recorded in the area and close to the time when the Markses' home in the 2700 block of York Avenue N. was invaded.
    In late August, one man was stopped while driving the Sebring in Crystal with the other man as a passenger. In October, the driver was charged with drug possession, obstructing police and giving a false name. Minneapolis police records show he has been arrested for three robberies and twice for weapon possession.
    Police identified the driver as a member of the Emerson Murder Boys Gang.

Robbinsdale home invasion: 2 'persons of interest' identified

Links