Husband kills wife by mistake

This is a discussion on Husband kills wife by mistake within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; A lot of things went bad on this one. While the husband was clearing the home the wife apparently for some reason went into the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Husband kills wife by mistake

Husband kills wife by mistake

A lot of things went bad on this one. While the husband was clearing the home the wife apparently for some reason went into the kitchen. The husband sees someone in the kitchen and shoots. It was the wife. Why she was wandering around while he was clearing the house, who knows? Why he didn't identify his target before shooting, who knows? There are a lot of lessons to be learned from this story.

12:01 p.m.: Husband Mistakes Wife For Intruder, Kills Her

POSTED: 12:01 pm CST January 2, 2008

NATCHEZ, Miss. -- A Natchez man shot and killed his wife when he mistook her for an intruder in their home, according to police.

Police Chief Mike Mullins said Glenn and Deborah Mizell awoke around 4 a.m. Tuesday to the sound of their barking dog. Mullins said Glenn Mizell went to investigate, taking a pistol with him.

Mullins said Glenn Mizell began checking through the house and was unaware his wife had left the bedroom and gone into the kitchen. Mullins said when Mizell saw her figure in the dark, he fired his gun once.

Authorities said he shot Deborah Mizell, 49, once in the chest and died at the scene.

Mullins said a preliminary investigation shows the shooting was an accident.

http://www.wapt.com/news/14962750/detail.html
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Seems to be a bit of accidental wife shootings lately...obviously the guy got spooked. Wish ranges had those scenario simulators to 'what if'...

Rick

Complete lack of training and common sence. We damage our rights everytime something like this happens because people who want to have gun's do not seek out training.

That is unbelieveable to me that anyone would shot without ID.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    This story has so many questions that it is difficult to assess the situation.

Where was the dog? Did the dog stop barking as to allow the man to assess the situation by sound or was the dog barking continuously thoughout. Why was the wife in the kitchen in the dark?

Was there an intruder or was the dog having a bad dream?

Did he say to his wife, 'Honey, go check the kitchen and don't turn on the light.'

VIP Member
    Have a plan!

My wife knows our plan....does your's?
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ti Carry View Post
    Complete lack of training and common sence. We damage our rights everytime something like this happens because people who want to have gun's do not seek out training.

That is unbelieveable to me that anyone would shot without ID.

Ti
    You are sooooooooo right.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Assistant Administrator
    <sigh> - what a terrible tragedy.

Knee-jerk action and look at the consequences. Surely a flashlight would in itself have prevented this tho - always easy to armchair any situation.

I shudder just thinking about this.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

It's tough to say how bad this is without knowing more details but no matter what, it's an awful situation. As others have said, share your plans. When I go out my bedroom door to clear the house, I lock the door behind me and I do not take a key with me so the BG cannot gain easy entry over my dead body. My wife knows not to leave the bedroom and if she does, I'll hear the door, which is intentionally creaky, or at least hear her operating the lock. Hopefully anyone in the house will hear the 12 gauge rack once she's got the baby safe.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

The wife is dead, How do we know that she wasn't killed on purpose. Maybe the intruder was the wife and he got to investigate and just assumed the wife was still in bed when in fact she wasn't. He is alive she isn't we only have his word. Way to many questions in this story.

That is precisely why I've got a Streamlight M-6 Tactical laser/illuminator on my Baby Eagle .40 S&W. I got an adapter for a rail system so I could. With it I've got bright light that will let me identify whom ever I come across and with the laser I can see the point of impact. I was always worried about my wife and daughter and now my 6 year old son could be roaming around the house after dark. It was always my biggest worry that at a time of adrenalin pumping through my veins that I could miss identify and hurt a loved one or some jerk of a boy that snuck in the house after hours. (that never happened and my daughter is 22 now and married for 1 year). Before I got this system I used a Surefire 9P with my Baby Eagle or my 1911 .45. Sometimes I wonder if some of these "mistaken identity" shooting if it may just be in lieu of a divorce. Just a thought.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

He sure saved a bunch when compared to a divorce...losing half his posessions, lawyer bills, custody battles, child support...

I told the wife about this, her first words were "Something sounds fishy". How do we know this guy didn't know exactly what he was doing? Maybe working in a prison made me a cynical kinda guy, but this just doesn't sound right. This investigation is still in it's preliminary stage, it will be interesting to see where this goes.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Awfully fishy. Maybe they should check if the guy took out a million dollar life insurance policy right before the shooting.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

Senior Moderator
    Light. Use one.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    It's tough to say how bad this is without knowing more details but no matter what, it's an awful situation. As others have said, share your plans. When I go out my bedroom door to clear the house, I lock the door behind me and I do not take a key with me so the BG cannot gain easy entry over my dead body. My wife knows not to leave the bedroom and if she does, I'll hear the door, which is intentionally creaky, or at least hear her operating the lock. Hopefully anyone in the house will hear the 12 gauge rack once she's got the baby safe.
    Just curious - why would you be leaving the bedroom at all?

If the wife and baby are there, why go out to clear the house.

Let him come to you.

Make him wish he hadn't.

Just my $0.02

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links