Caught in the Act

This is a discussion on Caught in the Act within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.centredaily.com/news/local/story/312390.html STATE COLLEGE — A College Township man faces criminal charges after he ignored an apparent warning shot while entering a State College home early ...

Thread: Caught in the Act

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

Caught in the Act

http://www.centredaily.com/news/local/story/312390.html

STATE COLLEGE — A College Township man faces criminal charges after he ignored an apparent warning shot while entering a State College home early Saturday morning.

According to State College police, Nathan Wagner, 21, of 709 W. Cherry Lane, had broken a door window of a North Atherton Street residence about 2:30 a.m. and was trying to come inside when the homeowner confronted him with a shotgun and told him to leave.

Wagner persisted, police said, and the homeowner fired a shot into an interior wall. Police, called by the homeowner’s wife before the shot, said they arrived to find Wagner still trying to open the door.

As Wagner was taken into custody, police said, he appeared intoxicated, registered a blood-alcohol content of .22 and told officers he thought he was at a friend’s house for a party.

Arraigned before District Justice Carmine Prestia, Wagner was charged with criminal trespass, criminal mischief, public drunkenness and disorderly conduct. He was jailed at the Centre County Correctional Facility on $10,000 bail.

At least the police caught the perp in the act. Firing a warning shot into an interior wall is something I don't think I would do.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
    At least the police caught the perp in the act. Firing a warning shot into an interior wall is something I don't think I would do.
    +1. I admire that homeowner's patience and compassion for not putting that dude's lights out long before the police got there.

Nice find.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

If the intruder's tale is true, then the homeowner's action turns out to have been compassionate and appropriate.

Trouble is, you'll rarely be able to tell the difference between an accidental entry that's about to be resolved versus an intentional entry that's about to go sideways. Risky, risky, risky, to introduce a delay like that, in spite of the apparently good outcome in this case. A person's goal is to save his family from attack; delays and taking the gun out of play (even temporarily) can go counter to that goal.

Mr. intruder should, for his own health and well-being, introduce himself to a program where he can dry out. If this isn't a wake-up call, then such things don't exist.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

This interloper just won the lottery...most homeowners are not so slow to action...this drunk better change his ways or make sure his 'departure' business is in order.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The homeowner was lucky. If he would have blasted through the door and hurt or killed the intruder, he could have been in a world of hurt. Wouldn't have been a justifiable homicide at that point.

VIP Member
    Well, not knowing the intricasies of the state law, I would think it IS justifiable. Someone forcing their way into your home (especially at 2:30 a.m.) is, by and large, justification on its own. If the intruder persists after a warning shot (which I don't recomend, in general, though it proved to be a good thing in this case), then you have further evidence that he (the intruder) is intent on causing harm.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    I don't know what the Connecticut law is. In Florida if the homeowner didn't shoot I'd say he was wrong.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

VIP Member
    This happened in PA, I believe.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Links