Way To Go Gramps

Way To Go Gramps

This is a discussion on Way To Go Gramps within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/14989659/detail.html DETROIT -- An 82-year-old man on Detroit's northwest side shot and severely wounded an intruder who walked into his Collingwood Street home Sunday afternoon. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

Way To Go Gramps

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/14989659/detail.html

DETROIT -- An 82-year-old man on Detroit's northwest side shot and severely wounded an intruder who walked into his Collingwood Street home Sunday afternoon.

Police said that the intruder, a 44-year-old man from Redford, was visiting friends in the neighborhood when he entered the home of Thomas Jackson, 82, and his wife.

Jackson grabbed his gun and shot the intruder.

Police are investigating why the man had entered the home, but a friend told Local 4 that the intruder has a history of mental illness

"What he does, he's been known to go into people's houses and just sit down," said friend Charles Smith.

"He don't know where he is. He'll go into people's cars and sit down, you know, follow strangers down the street."

The intruder was listed in critical condition at Henry Ford Hospital Sunday evening.

Here's to being prepared.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Ouch, this may get ugly.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Surgeon General's Warning...
    Walking into people's homes uninvited and sitting down can be hazardous to your health!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Walking into people's homes uninvited and sitting down can be hazardous to your health!
    And sad, but the way the story reads I don't see how it could get ugly. What's a couple in their 80's supposed to do? Maybe offer the guy some coffee?
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Sounds like this guy needed help. If his friends and family knew he did stuff like this, why wasn't he getting treatment? You feel bad for the guy, but I sure as heck don't fault gramps for shooting him. If he's been known to do this, he's lucky he lived as long as he did.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Can I hear a big AMEN on that one!!!

But you forgot to add "and then tends to beat the living dog doo out of any one that approaches him. Which according to most stories is what happens next.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    I can see a lawyer for the intruder (or surviving family) whining that the home owner should have asked the person to talk and find out why he was intruding. Then he'll whine that the home owner "should have known" the person may have had a history of mental illness......................
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by morintp View Post
    Sounds like this guy needed help. If his friends and family knew he did stuff like this, why wasn't he getting treatment? You feel bad for the guy, but I sure as heck don't fault gramps for shooting him. If he's been known to do this, he's lucky he lived as long as he did.
    Agreed, 100%.

Keep a leash on dogs known to roam, even if they don't bite.
    This is uncommon sense.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Any stranger just walks into my home is asking to be shot. I am reaching the years that I am physically unable to adequatly defend myself mano a mano.
    Strangers who come to my door are met with a gun in my hand even though they can't see it. I live with the idea of better safe then sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    Any stranger just walks into my home is asking to be shot.
    0Strangers who come to my door are met with a gun in my hand even though they can't see it. I live with the idea of better safe then sorry.
    My sentiments exactly!
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Quote Originally Posted by P7fanatic View Post
    And sad, but the way the story reads I don't see how it could get ugly. What's a couple in their 80's supposed to do? Maybe offer the guy some coffee?
    This reminds me of when I was 12 years old. I mistakenly walked into the wrong house on the block, believing that it was the home of a friend that I staying with that week. The first thing that caught my eye was a naked woman who screamed bloody murder. Needless to say, I was out of there in a hurry.

But what if the first person that I had seen had been a jumpy trigger fingered owner ready to shoot the first person that walked in the door.

Regardless of the law, good judgment requires good judgment and reasonable restraint to avoid needless injury and grief to all.

I understand the sentiments of everyone on these boards, but I have to feel some remorse over an innocent man being injured by one of us. I realize that he was trespassing, and therefore not fully 'innocent' but in his mind he had no malice and unfortunately was seen as a threat.

At the same time, I hope that no actions are taken against gramps. He did what he thought was right to protect himself against an unknown intruder.

Quote Originally Posted by cwblanco View Post
    This reminds me of when I was 12 years old. I mistakenly walked into the wrong house on the block, believing that it was the home of a friend that I staying with that week. The first thing that caught my eye was a naked woman who screamed bloody murder.
    I don't think there is any such thing as a 12 year old mistakingly seeing a woman naked...
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Any stranger just walks into my home is asking to be shot. I am reaching the years that I am physically unable to adequatly defend myself mano a mano.
    Strangers who come to my door are met with a gun in my hand even though they can't see it. I live with the idea of better safe then sorry.
    Any stranger walking into my home WITH A GUN is GOING to get shot! But in all likelihood, with MY gun, not his.

A lot of unknowns:
    Why wasn't the front door locked?
    I did not see where the intruder was armed.
    The age does play into it heavily (octogenarian).
    Agree the fellow should have been monitored closely.
    No winners in this one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links