Aim for the Tires

This is a discussion on Aim for the Tires within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by matiki Sorry to split hairs here, but it doesn't say he was driving away. It just says "his escape vehicle". He very ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aim for the Tires

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    Sorry to split hairs here, but it doesn't say he was driving away. It just says "his escape vehicle". He very well could have been driving toward the shooter who ran out to get plate information etc. I think we should wait until the media is forced to be honest before passing judgment on this one.
    Fair enough, we don't know for certain that the thief wasn't trying to run down the store owner, but I think it can be reasonably inferred that he was not. Even the worst reported would have included something that important to the story, or so we hope. I agree, however, that more information is always a good thing.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Fair enough, we don't know for certain that the thief wasn't trying to run down the store owner, but I think it can be reasonably inferred that he was not. Even the worst reported would have included something that important to the story, or so we hope. I agree, however, that more information is always a good thing.
    Don't get me wrong, I agree with everything you've said.

But since I live where I live, and the media is so biased, I can't put it past them to leave out a bit of exculpatory evidence to make the story controversial.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

I can't think of a gun shop around here where I could remove a firearm from a display case. Maybe the reporter didn't have it exactly right, but it sounds as if the store owner would be better served in the future to secure the guns.

I have no sympathy for the thief. But even if it were completely legal, I don't think I would have pulled the trigger under circumstances where someone wasn't directly threatened, there were people around, and where it would take more than one round to accomplish the job.

All in all, I'm glad nobody got hurt and the BG was caught.
    "An armed society is a polite society." -- Robert A. Heinlein

The gun store owner was arrested and then later released with no charges being filed at this time. He got lucky.

A couple who are friends of mine own a gun shop in a small town. They have been told by both BATF and the CA DOJ Firearms Division that they are required to take every possible action to keep an unauthorized person(read: Thief) from leaving the premises with the shops guns, including and up to shooting someone who is trying to steal the guns.

I am not suggesting that I support this philosophy only stating what they have been told, which, by the way, was the exact opposite of what they were advised when they both took the CCW training class.
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

VIP Member
    Nothing like a unified front, eh BigEFan?
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Nothing like a unified front, eh BigEFan?
    We come to expect this sorta crap in California. I suggested to the couple that they consult with an attorney and possibly arrange a meeting with the DOJ, with their attorney present and discuss the position of the California Attorney General in more detail. If the DOJ holds in their position that lethal force is appropriate to protect the property (guns) then they should get an opinion from the DOJ in writing to cover their Six.
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

VIP Member
    Agreed completely. I still question the decision to shoot at a moving vehicle, when your back stop is a residential block, but I wasn't there, so I don't know...

I just have a thing against arming BG's. I say shoot him before he take the stolen gun and shoots an innocent.
    Honor, Courage, Virtue. These are what makes a man.
    "The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps."
    Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links