Woman was brutally beaten on public transportation while 15 passengers watch. - Page 3

Woman was brutally beaten on public transportation while 15 passengers watch.

This is a discussion on Woman was brutally beaten on public transportation while 15 passengers watch. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Hay scum, stop. When he decides your the target, do what you have to. This is truely sick behavior by a bunch of cowards that ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Woman was brutally beaten on public transportation while 15 passengers watch.

Hay scum, stop. When he decides your the target, do what you have to. This is truely sick behavior by a bunch of cowards that don't deserve to live in the United States.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

In Utah you would be within the law to use your firearm(not saying i would) just that you dont have to be the person that feels at risk, you are allowed to assist others that are in danger. Also i dont know if it makes a difference and i dont know the laws because i never use public transportation but the UTA rule #26 specifically says buses. this incident took place on trax which is lightrail.

Simply sickening...that someone wouldn't help. Certainly a few could have stopped the beating??????
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    1) Remove belt, loop end through buckle;...
    The problem for most of us is that belt is holding our gun in place.

Quote Originally Posted by mulle46
    A good solid kick to the BGs knee followed by an ear clap does wonders...
    Pretty much what I was thinking.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    The problem is you canít just say something to the BG, and expect him to quit. If you do, youíve blown your number one resource. And that is the element of surprise.

When I stated Iím not going to get involved unless I am forced to, I meant that if no one else was coming to her rescue, then I would not sit there and watch her get beat. But, Iím now 50 something and I would prefer some young guy to step in and play Sir Galahad.
    That is when you grab a younger, appears to be in better shape, and "bump" him into the fray. Foot to butt of a another in the direction of fracas, and a good hard push.

Not a situation that I will ever have to deal with. No carry on public transit (homeland security/patriot act BS), not gonna be there.

Anywhere else, yup, morally I would have to do something to at least hit the pause button.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

I will say this: From what I hear, a whole bunch of people here are "not wanting to get involved", as well as all of the gutless slugs in the incident described.

I have news for you - that is absolutely despicable that grown men would doubt themselves or the situation enough to not stand up for a lady being beaten on by some cowardly male with an obvious inferiority complex. this reminds me of the '70s when "no one wanted to get involved". I know in my grandfathers' day such an event (at least down here in Texas) would have illicited at the very least a severe beating from any grown men witnessing the incident; at the most, a tall tree and a short rope on some deserted country back road.

When we are willing to act in this fashion when such events occur, I fear that we are in fact ready to elect someone like Hillary to finish ruining our country, for we have truly turned our nation over to lesser men.

It makes me even sicker to think that we have brave troops fighting for people they don't know who don't have any freedom at all, while sheeple here opine about "not getting involved". You should be ashamed of yourselves......
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    I will say this: From what I hear, a whole bunch of people here are "not wanting to get involved", as well as all of the gutless slugs in the incident described.

... while sheeple here opine about "not getting involved". You should be ashamed of yourselves......
    There are times and places for everything. Caution is due when painting so heavily with such broad strokes.

I use my head. I don't care one whit for what others deem of my actions, when financial and legal devastation of me (and possibly my family) has a high probability of occurring as a direct result of my jumping into the fray and being a good sam. In a case with little upside, damned right I am going to use my head. Rightly so. To do otherwise isn't very bright.

That said, as most will agree, every situation's different. In a case like this where it's patently clear that no such beat-down is justified, I will likely intervene. It's simple and clear, with a high probability of upside.

In this case, there are witnesses, it's clearly a felonious and violent battery, and it happens to be a case of clear disparity of force (large and aggressive male overpowering a weaker female). It can't possibly be an undercover LEO executing a legitimate arrest; nor can it be someone stopping another crime, as no such thing took place and wouldn't have justified a beating-'til-dead response.

Here are some thoughts I have previously written. Food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    So long as jurisdictions deem it appropriate to "hang" good sams for doing good and operate on the presumption that something BAD has been done despite claims to the contrary (or unobscured fact), there is an inherent limitation to my willingness to do good for a stranger in a situation I don't know. If I ultimately help one stranger, but "take out" a half dozen family members by making my family destitute and pariah for a generation by virtue of those actions, is that a net good? Hard to think of it that way, with such results.

In a vacuum, good deeds are worth doing on their own merits. Trouble is, nobody lives in a vacuum. The real world intrudes.

Reality is, being a bystander to a brewing situation means that we're highly likely to not know crucial details about the encounter. Some situations are clear, such as a rape in progress. But many altercations are simply a whirlwind by the time we turn our eyes and ears that direction, such that we may not know the justification for the action of each player, the suitability of the response each is playing out, or even whether one of the players is a plainclothes LEO. Not knowing those things, who is to say whether jumping into the fray's going to be right or wrong?

That said, I'm all for halting a violent action right in front of me, or when it's obvious what's happening, or when it's directed against me or my family. In the case of gross violence right in front of me, it's going to be fairly easy to recognize that the level of violence playing out simply has no place. However, there are a lot of variables when one doesn't know the details from the get-go. Awaiting the cavalry may be the best choice. It isn't cowardice to make that choice. Simply, it's often the most reasonable approach amongst a host of choices, given the reality of a situation.

None of this, by the way, is meant to state or imply that doing nothing is ever a good thing. Nothing is further from the truth. Cowardice is fear to become involved. Equally, cowardice is to completely abandon reason and rationale, for blind action that could cause as much harm as good. However, there "is many a slip 'twixt the cup and the lip." In other words, different choices are available, depending on the situation. I have yet to fail to get involved. Calling for the cavalry (911) is helping. Following to ensure the car's license plate is obtained is helping. Being a good witness in a fluid situation is helping. Injecting myself into a dangerous and known-to-be-illegal attack on another is helping ... but it's hardly the only possible response or measure of help.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; January 12th, 2008 at 01:00 PM. Reason: spelling
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    There are times and places for everything.

I use my head. I don't care one whit for what others deem of my actions, when financial and legal devastation of me (and possibly my family) has a high probability of occurring as a direct result for my jumping into the fray and being a good sam. In a case with little upside, damned right I am going to use my head. Rightly so. To do otherwise isn't very bright.
    Sound logic, CCW...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links