Another Robbery Victim Shoots at the Getaway Car

This is a discussion on Another Robbery Victim Shoots at the Getaway Car within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Police: Driveway Robbery Victim Shot At Men - Orlando News Story - WKMG Orlando ORLANDO, Fla. -- A 52-year-old man fired shots at three men ...

Thread: Another Robbery Victim Shoots at the Getaway Car

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

Another Robbery Victim Shoots at the Getaway Car

Police: Driveway Robbery Victim Shot At Men - Orlando News Story - WKMG Orlando

ORLANDO, Fla. -- A 52-year-old man fired shots at three men after he was robbed at gunpoint in the driveway of his Orlando home, police said.

The armed robbery took place Monday on Gumwood Court in Orlando.

According to an Orlando police report, the victim pulled into his driveway after cashing a check at a local check-cashing store. Three men approached the man and stole his cash before fleeing in a car, Orlando police said.

The victim fired shots at the getaway car, but it is not known if any of the assailants were struck.

Two of the culprits were described only as in their 20s and the other man was in his 30s, according to the police report.

Orlando police detectives recovered shell casings and confiscated the victim's gun.

An investigation into the shooting is under way.
    Gotta like how the media takes something that is routine in a shooting (confiscating the gun) and sensationalizes it to make it sound like the shooter is in the wrong. Clearly though in this case he might be, not sure about FL laws on defense of property.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    FL law, in general, does not allow for lethal force in defense of property. Once the BGs are in the car driving away, you've (usually) passed the point where lethal force was authorized.

What is it with shooting at getaway cars lately? These folks are watching way too much TV... It is, in almost all cases, a BAD IDEA to shoot at a moving vehicle. There is just way too much potential for tragedy - not only if you miss (which you probably will), but even if you hit! You have now created a two-thousand pound unguided missile in the middle of the street... Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    FL law, in general, does not allow for lethal force in defense of property. Once the BGs are in the car driving away, you've (usually) passed the point where lethal force was authorized.

What is it with shooting at getaway cars lately? These folks are watching way too much TV... It is, in almost all cases, a BAD IDEA to shoot at a moving vehicle. There is just way too much potential for tragedy - not only if you miss (which you probably will), but even if you hit! You have now created a two-thousand pound unguided missile in the middle of the street... Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb.
    have to agree with ya on that. money is money
    but not worth creating a possible tragedy like you mentioned.
    hopefully, (but since bullets were flying i doubt he did) get a license
    number of the s.o.b.s
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Senior Moderator
    I think this guy is going to need a good lawyer.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post

Agreed.

My only edit if anything is that nobody makes a 2K lb. car anymore, muchless people buying one.
    More like 3 ton (3600 lbs.) for a car and more for an SUV or 'light truck' which 50% of drivers operate these days.

Shooting into fleeing cars of criminals is not justifiable and FTL.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member
    Yeah, that was a low estimate. Curb weight for a Honda Civic is about 2,500lbs, and that's certainly not a big car. (BTW, three English tons would be 6,000 lbs, but who's counting? )

Don't shoot at moving cars, kids. (It's funny - sort of - but there was in incident at work that is very relevant to this discussion...I'll post the details if and when I can.)
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

The only way I might say this guy is justified is if we find out the car was coming at him.

I don't trust the media to point that out, however, given the description of the circumstances, it's likely the car he shot at was behind his car and moving away from him to escape. If that's the case, he's negligent IMHO.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Links