Man Is Haunted By Fatal Shooting - Page 2

Man Is Haunted By Fatal Shooting

This is a discussion on Man Is Haunted By Fatal Shooting within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by OPFOR N.M Edmands - no argument from me. I'm probably one of the posters here with the highest standards for when I'll ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Man Is Haunted By Fatal Shooting

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    N.M Edmands - no argument from me. I'm probably one of the posters here with the highest standards for when I'll shoot, but this certainly meets the criteria. The instant I see a person trying to stab to death another (and assuming I have a clear shot) I am shooting until there is no more lethal threat. Period. No warning shot, no encouragement from neighbors, no waiting for more slashes, nothing.

Given that, I can understand why Mr. Kohan hesitated. He's an "average guy," he probably hasn't put much thought into his shoot/no-shoot criteria, he has no LE or .mil experience. This is probably his first encounter with lethal violence. He did the best he could. Those of us with different experiences and/or more fore thought regarding situations like this can hopefully do better, but I give Mr. Kohan much credit for doing as well as he did. Heck, all the people around him did NOTHING, so he's light years ahead of them...

I think that is a good point. It does not sound like he was a trained individual in that respect. The handgun was probably meant to protect himself from home intruders.

You can not expect him to react the same way as lets say someone with a CCW that has thought out these types scenarios a million times.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I'll just say thos article has a lot of truth in it. Its no fun in the aftermath of a shooting. It really gets me cranked when a know nothing person says/posts something cavalier about what they would have done, or what Kohan should have done. Grow up, this isnt a video game.
    Durn tootin'. I've had moments of remorse about killing people who were actively and vigorously trying to kill me, even though there was absolutely no doubt that it was justified (****, it was my JOB) - and I had thought about it and trained for it for years before hand. Perhaps having had a taste of it has left me with stronger reservations about having to do it again...

With any luck, I'll never have to kill a person as a civilian, in the States, under circumstances such as this...I can't imagine I would be as gung-ho as some (though I also can't imagine that I'd be crippled by it).

I wish Mr. Kohan a speedy "recovery" and hope that he sleeps easy - he did the best he could, under terrible circumstances.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Edwards,
    You don't know the situation, as far as line of shot, background, etc. It would be tough in the best of situations to fire a shot and hit a BG that is on top of a GG. He was not in the best of situations...He was shocked, suprised, (insert adjective here), etc. He had people yelling at him. He came into the situation in the middle. He had people pushing and hitting him in the back...If anybody chose to fire in these conditions, I would say that is way past reckless. Yes, it would have been nice if he could have ended the threat before the uncle was killed. But you also have to remember, he had never met any of these people before, he is surrouned by the murderer and the uncles family...you have no idea what these people are going to say to LEO when they show up. The person I shoot's family aren't exactly the kind of witnesses I want giving statements to LEO. In that kind of situation, you have more than a small chance of hitting the uncle who is being stabbed, or having your bullet pass through BG and hit the victim. Way too many uncertainties to say that you would have taken the shot.

+1 on the Grow up, this isn't a video game comment.

Good job to Kohan for ending the threat.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

I would imagine all the "alternate what if's" being proposed are a part of Mr Kohan's own torments. All of the things probably are running through his mind. Being forced into being a hero ain't a great thing to want to happen to you in your life. And then, on top of that, wondering if you did enough and did it all fast enough would probably torment you too.

Poor soul. I hope he finds peace. He did the best he could

This natural tendency to hesitate - running everything thru reality checks and getting through the doubt and temporary-denial that this gross event could actually be happening can obviously be deadly. This thread has me running through scenarios in my mind - wondering what mental circuit-breakers and uncertainties I would have to resolve before I could open fire.
    Allen

G27, Beretta 8040, Ruger GP100

People were yelling at him to shoot .They had time to recognize the situation for what it was.
    He shot a second warning because of his indecision.
    The neighbors had time to gather behind him and continue to plead- do something- while they watched this man look at them and slash Pazeky's throat.
    Folks I'm not trying to crucify the man. My point is mindset, the time to decide whether you could take a life is before you're put in that position and have a gun in your hand.
    It would appear that considerable time passed while the decision was made, by his own words.
    G-d forbid,in that place and time I would hope I reacted faster. I may have reacted the same as Kohan. I hope and pray I never am in that position.
    Again, I'm not trying to crucify him, he's probably doing that to himself.--- I know I would had it been me.
    If I ever met the man I would shake his hand and thank him for doing what had to be done.

And I do NOT think life is a video game.
    Oh yeh? Well this was sent from the scary black electrical box under my desk, so there!
    "It aint how good you shoot, it's how cool you look doing it." [Fred Sayer 1994]
    H&K P7
    Colt XS, Star PD
    Caracal F

Quote Originally Posted by dagor2k View Post
    This natural tendency to hesitate - running everything thru reality checks and getting through the doubt and temporary-denial that this gross event could actually be happening can obviously be deadly. This thread has me running through scenarios in my mind - wondering what mental circuit-breakers and uncertainties I would have to resolve before I could open fire.
    That is great, as should we all.
    Oh yeh? Well this was sent from the scary black electrical box under my desk, so there!
    "It aint how good you shoot, it's how cool you look doing it." [Fred Sayer 1994]
    H&K P7
    Colt XS, Star PD
    Caracal F

"'Two people had to lose their lives for me to be a hero,' he said Wednesday in an exclusive interview with The Bee."

He isn't a hero because two people died. He's a hero because two other people (and maybe more) didn't die.

We can all second-guess about the poor man who had his throat cut and say he should have shot sooner. But how many other people would have gone inside, buttoned up their houses, called the police -- maybe -- and not gone out to meet the threat at all?
    "An armed society is a polite society." -- Robert A. Heinlein

This is a great thread. Good to hear about how a person feels after having killed someone even when the shooting was obviously the right thing to do.

Taking a human life is not an easy thing to live with even if it is done in time of war. At some point, be it right after the act or days after, you will think about that person you had to shoot and you will feel the weight of the life you took no matter if there was no other option or not.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links