Man Is Haunted By Fatal Shooting

This is a discussion on Man Is Haunted By Fatal Shooting within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Many of us read CT Mike's thread about the El Dorado County Man who shot a knife wielding murderer. The Man who shot the murderer ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Man Is Haunted By Fatal Shooting

Many of us read CT Mike's thread about the El Dorado County Man who shot a knife wielding murderer. The Man who shot the murderer now tells about life after taking someone else's life. I think this article serves a useful reminder about the consequences we face after we have made the ultimate decision.

Link here.

Man is haunted by fatal shooting
    El Dorado Hills resident says he had no choice but to fire.
    By Stan Oklobdzija - stano@sacbee.com.
    Published 12:00 am PST Thursday, January 10, 2008

Above the sights of his .45-caliber pistol, Shahin Kohan said, he stared into the eyes of a man whose soul had left him.

Before Kohan was Behnam Pazoki, grasping a kitchen knife still wet with his uncle's blood, yelling in Farsi and English, "Kill me! Shoot me!"

Pazoki's uncle lay in the street, covered in blood and gasping out his last breaths. Another relative who tried to intervene also had been stabbed, and he and his wife were begging Kohan to fire, to save them.

Kohan had fired two warning shots. He prayed police would arrive soon so he wouldn't have to fire a third, more telling, shot.

"His eyes got so wide open," Kohan said. "All I could see was rage. He had no soul left in him."

Pazoki attacked, and Kohan fired that third shot into his chest, mortally wounding him, according to the El Dorado County Sheriff's Office.

Kohan's neighbors thanked him for saving their lives. El Dorado County District Attorney Vern Pierson said he was a hero.

It's not something Kohan sought.

"Two people had to lose their lives for me to be a hero," he said Wednesday in an exclusive interview with The Bee. "I'd never want this for me or anyone else."

Kohan's ordeal began Sunday about 2:30 p.m., when Pazoki turned violent while visiting relatives in the 1000 block of Venezia Drive in the upscale Promontory development, a gated community in El Dorado Hills.

Relatives said Pazoki, 33, had a history of mental illness.

After chasing relatives from the house, Pazoki caught up with his uncle, Ahmad Pazeky, 58, of Orange County, and stabbed Pazeky to death, sheriff's officials said. He also wounded Vahid Seyedin, 47, owner of the house he was visiting.

After the ordeal, Kohan was incarcerated overnight in the El Dorado County jail in Placerville on suspicion of murder. He was released Monday morning after Pierson and his chief assistant reviewed the case.

"All I can say is when you have two people that have lost their lives in a horrific situation such as this, the detectives have to be as careful as they can about having their facts straight to protect the public," Pierson said.

Kohan wasn't troubled by his lockup. He said he was given a private cell and cared for by guards sympathetic to his plight.

"I was never mistreated or mishandled," he said. "They all made sure I was very comfortable. I even felt as if I made a couple of friends in there."

As he spoke Wednesday, Kohan's voice cracked with strain as he recounted the incident.

He said he was lifting weights in his garage when his wife, running on a treadmill next to him, said she heard screams.

He went to get some water and, by chance, looked out into the street. What he saw, he said, will haunt him forever.

"I saw someone with white pants and a white shirt. Half of his body was covered in blood," Kohan said. "Then he raises this knife and starts yelling. It was just so loud. What a horrific sound."

Kohan ran back inside the house with his wife following, not knowing what was going on.

He ran to where he stored his .45-caliber pistol and grabbed two magazines, he said. As a hunter, he has several guns.

"By the time I got to my driveway, it was too late," he said. "He'd caught up to this old man and was just stabbing."

Kohan fired a warning shot.

"As soon as I did that, he got startled and stopped," Kohan said. "I immediately put the gun on him and said 'Drop the knife.' "

The attacker looked at him for a moment, he said, and then "went back to the business."

When Pazeky fell on the ground, Pazoki jumped on his chest and started stabbing him again, Kohan said.

"At this time, the neighbors starting yelling 'Shoot him! Shoot him!' "

Kohan said he didn't know what to think.

"I turned to (the neighbors) and told them 'I don't want to shoot him,' " he said.

He fired another warning shot.

The attacker "didn't even twitch." Instead, Kohan said, he looked at the faces gathered around him as he slashed his uncle's throat.

Pazoki then turned his attention to Kohan and his neighbors, who'd gathered with his wife and were huddled behind him.

"At this point not only were they telling me to shoot him, but they were hitting me in the back," Kohan said.

Pazoki started moving his feet like a running back trying to fake out the defense.

"I knew at that point he was going to bolt at us," Kohan said.

Pazoki started running toward them. On the third step, Kohan fired the fatal shot.

"You know what he did? He came up and said 'Shoot me again,' " Kohan recalled. "I'm thinking, this man is superhuman he just got hit with a .45."

Then, Pazoki's expression changed, from rage to "like someone who isn't feeling good," Kohan said. Slowly, he lay down on the pavement.

Kohan said he tried to kick the knife out of Pazoki's hand, but Pazoki was still swinging the blade, his face the picture of calm.

Kohan said he cannot escape the images. In the past three days, he's slept about four hours.

"I feel really bad having to take a life," he said. "But I exhausted every possible route. I opened up so many doors for him to give up. I had no choice but to do what I had to do."

Kohan has lived on Venezia Drive for about eight months, but Monday morning when he got home from jail was the first time he'd ever really spoken to his neighbors.

"I sat down with them and had tea," he said. "It's amazing, that was the first time we'd ever met."

Like Kohan, his neighbors are from Iran, he said.

"I told them I felt really bad for having to (shoot). It was one of their family members," he said. "They wanted to give me comfort and said, 'You have no reason whatsoever to feel bad.' "

Then they telephoned Vahid Seyedin, at the time still recovering at Mercy Hospital of Folsom from his stab wounds. Seyedin called Kohan his "hero."

Kohan plans to attend the funerals of both Pazeky and Pazoki, the man he shot.

The bond between his family and theirs, he said, "is cemented forever."
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Excellent post.

He represents the normal average general public person, and the real world emotions such persons would and do feel.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Excellent after action report. Definitely brings to light the emotional toll on the shooter.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

M2
    I think most people would feel the same way, not wanting to take someone's life; but this man only did so to prevent other lives from being taken. It was still the best solution to a no-win situation.

I hope he realizes this soon and has some peace.

Cheers! M2

Excellent post! Unlike TV heroes most people would react exactly as this man did. Nobody with even a little moral upbringing wants to take a human life but sometimes it just can't be helped. That does not make it feel any better. For the few that experience this it will be the most horrific thing to ever happen to them.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    I know I would have a problem with it if I ever had to kill someone. I still feel bad about things I did and said hurting people's feelings when I was a kid. But I think that I would feel worse if I did nothing and let my friends and family get hurt or worse. I hope I never have to make that choice.

Just think of the person as a 10 pt buck that you found was diseased.

I'd have dumped the magazine on him.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

VIP Member
    Besides not EVER wanting to be in this man's shoes.....What have we learned here?

Don't fire warning shots!
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Just.....wow. Praying I never have to face something like that.

VIP Member
    Excellent AAR, indeed. Aside from the emotional issues that one is sure to deal with at one level or another after such an event, there are a few other things to note:

As has been said - verbal warnings (beyond, perhaps, one command to STOP!) and warning shots are probably not a good idea once someone is in the middle of a murderous assault. Had Mr. Kohan fired quicker - without warning shots, encouragement from the neighbors, extended dialogue, etc. - perhaps the uncle would have survived. (This is not to take anything away from Mr. Kohan - he did a very good job under the circumstances. Hopefully, from his example, we can all do just a little bit better if we find ourselved - God forbid - in a similar position.

Second - handgun rounds are not sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads. The .45, or any other round, can NOT be counted on to stop the threat immediately with one shot, even with a good COM hit. This VCA was able to continue his attack well after being mortally wounded (much to Mr. Kohan's surprise - he apparently fell victim to the common delusion that people drop dead instantly when shot); we should not expect that to be a rare phenomenon.

All in all, this is a prime example of what an armed citizen can do to save lives, and Mr. Kohan performed at a level most of us can only hope to match. Congradulations to him, and may he live peacefully with his (entirely justified) actions.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I understand the hero's feelings...none of us know how we would really feel without having been in the situation. I don't want to think about EVER having to do something like this.

Perhaps I am too hardened in my elder years, but I'm not sure that I would be effected like this gentleman. I seem to have very little remorse for criminals who die during their 'feats of evil'...parts of me seem to say that I would be 'colder' in my feelings of remorse for ending the life of someone doing something like this...hopefully, I'll never know...

It's easy to say I wouldn't be bothered as much, but I have no way of really knowing.

Hope this man recovers fully from his experiences.

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Exclamation

I am fully prepared to be beaten about the head and shoulders for this but here goes:
    "By the time I got to my driveway, it was too late," he said. "He'd caught up to this old man and was just stabbing."
    "Kohan fired a warning shot".
    >Acceptable in the situation.

"As soon as I did that, he got startled and stopped," Kohan said. "I immediately put the gun on him and said 'Drop the knife.' "

The attacker looked at him for a moment, he said, and then "went back to the business."

When Pazeky fell on the ground, Pazoki jumped on his chest and started stabbing him again, Kohan said.

"At this time, the neighbors starting yelling 'Shoot him! Shoot him!' "

Kohan said he didn't know what to think.

"I turned to (the neighbors) and told them 'I don't want to shoot him,' " he said.

He fired another warning shot.
    > Not acceptable.
    The attacker "didn't even twitch." Instead, Kohan said, he looked at the faces gathered around him as he slashed his uncle's throat.

Pazoki then turned his attention to Kohan and his neighbors, who'd gathered with his wife and were huddled behind him.

"At this point not only were they telling me to shoot him, but they were hitting me in the back," Kohan said.

Pazoki started moving his feet like a running back trying to fake out the defense."

"I knew at that point he was going to bolt at us," Kohan said.

Pazoki started running toward them. On the third step, Kohan fired the fatal shot."

While I applaud Kohan's actions to end the attack, his hesitation was the secondary cause of Pazeky's death. Mindset folks.

I would not want to be put in this position, but as it went down I would be haunted by the fact I screwed up. Pazeky may have died anyway at the hospital or in the ambulance, but waiting while he had his throat slashed was criminal.
    The shot fired to end this was made to save his own life.
    I know I'll be called a B*****d, but this is how I see it. He should be haunted.
    Oh yeh? Well this was sent from the scary black electrical box under my desk, so there!
    "It aint how good you shoot, it's how cool you look doing it." [Fred Sayer 1994]
    H&K P7
    Colt XS, Star PD
    Caracal F

VIP Member
    N.M Edmands - no argument from me. I'm probably one of the posters here with the highest standards for when I'll shoot, but this certainly meets the criteria. The instant I see a person trying to stab to death another (and assuming I have a clear shot) I am shooting until there is no more lethal threat. Period. No warning shot, no encouragement from neighbors, no waiting for more slashes, nothing.

Given that, I can understand why Mr. Kohan hesitated. He's an "average guy," he probably hasn't put much thought into his shoot/no-shoot criteria, he has no LE or .mil experience. This is probably his first encounter with lethal violence. He did the best he could. Those of us with different experiences and/or more fore thought regarding situations like this can hopefully do better, but I give Mr. Kohan much credit for doing as well as he did. Heck, all the people around him did NOTHING, so he's light years ahead of them...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Administrator
    I'll just say thos article has a lot of truth in it. Its no fun in the aftermath of a shooting. It really gets me cranked when a know nothing person says/posts something cavalier about what they would have done, or what Kohan should have done. Grow up, this isnt a video game.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links