Self-Defense Homicide Captured on 911 Tape

This is a discussion on Self-Defense Homicide Captured on 911 Tape within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Over on concealed.wordpress.com, the blogger has linked up a 911 recording of what happens in a home invasion. Yes, it is graphic. 911 Recording Link...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Over on concealed.wordpress.com, the blogger has linked up a 911 recording of what happens in a home invasion. Yes, it is graphic.

911 Recording Link

Good for her! I wouldn't have waited as long as she did.

scary but very telling.
    a must hear IMHO
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

My wife comes from a family of "it won't happen to me so I don't have to be prepared" attitude. Luckily, my wife is not like the rest of her family, but I think I will let her listen to this just for a little reinforcement.

did I miss something? the BG shot her? sounded like the cops who entered said "she's in here! She's been shot!" If that is the case, then she bought false security when she brought the gun home because she had not really committed herself to using the "protection device". She did plead with the JERK to stop it tho..that always works you know!

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
    did I miss something? the BG shot her? sounded like the cops who entered said "she's in here! She's been shot!" If that is the case, then she bought false security when she brought the gun home because she had not really committed herself to using the "protection device". She did plead with the JERK to stop it tho..that always works you know!

It sounds more like "hes been shot" plus she mentioned shes gonna shoot.

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Yeah, it sounded like "He's been shot" and "She shot him". Another happy ending.

On the other hand, when she told the 911 operator that she was going to shoot him, why did the operator tell her to calm down and don't do anything rash? I would have rather heard her say, "if he comes through this locked door, shoot him till he stops moving"

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by morintp View Post
    On the other hand, when she told the 911 operator that she was going to shoot him, why did the operator tell her to calm down and don't do anything rash? I would have rather heard her say, "if he comes through this locked door, shoot him till he stops moving"
    Nonsense.

I think in the operators defense, I am sure she didn't want to be called in to court for telling a stranger over the phone to "shoot him 'til he stops moving."

However, the operator did ask, "do you have a gun?" The victim said, "yes" and then you hear the operator, "is it with you? good...." (or something along the lines)

yea i agree. it wouldnt be the best idea to tell her to shoot the guy for legal reasons- although this is a pretty clear cut case that it was self dense. but as skippy said, having the opreator say that its good that she has a gun is a very good way to go about saying 'shoot the #$#^@ if you need to'
    well at least the lady is all right and did what she had to do.
    good for her.

Another satisfied gun owner; perhaps a little upset, but living and unharmed so it sounds.

Looks like she did everything she could to avoid the situation. I can't see how she would be charged with anything. Interior doors aren't going to stop anyone intent on doing you harm.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

VIP Member
    "When seconds count, the Police are only minutes away"! This lady definately did what she had to.

I truly hope this lady has someone in her life to help her deal with this event.

We sometimes forget one important area of our preparedness... the aftermath!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

If you pay attention to where the BG was at that point he was down the hall, not through the door. She (nor anyone else) is not able to tell what's on the other side of the door. That's when she said that she was going to shoot him, in a tone that suggested immediately. The dispatcher said don't do anything rash because he wasn't even at the door yet. It's one thing to shoot through the door at an unknown someone and a whole different ballgame to shoot someone actively trying to break-down your bedroom door.

Given all of it, I am very surprised a police department dispatcher didn't advise her to put her gun away. Sheriff's dispatchers are more likely to not tell people that, but in this case I'm happy she didn't. Many police department dispatchers will tell a caller to put way the gun (as it just "aggravates" the situation). Most Sheriff's dispatchers won't tell the caller one way or another. If you tell them to put the gun away, you take on the liability if something happens to the victim. If you tell them to get the gun, you take on the liability of endorsing whatever actions they do with the gun. If you tell them neither (like this dispatcher did), you leave it up to the caller and the department is just a witness for you either way it goes.

I've told my boss that there is no way in hell I'm telling someone to put their gun away unless my units are in the house and have secured the home. Until and unless I get something in writing that says otherwise I'm not telling anyone squat. And, if I do get something in writing telling me that, I'm taking it to our department/county attorney and presenting my case, as it were. Until then, I'm continuing with "I cannot advise. You do what you think you have to do and can do safely." Then leave it there.

Cheers.
    "The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subjected people to carry arms; history shows that all conquerors who have allowed their subjected people to carry arms have prepared their own fall." Adolf Hitler

Well, I'll bet she did'nt experiance buyers remorse after that one.
    I think i'll have some of the sheepier people i know listen to that one. It seemed like it took forever for the bg to get in and then to make his way to her door. Often they can be in your house and chasing/murdering you in just seconds.
    Sad for the people that don't have a gun in the house. Can you imagine being locked in your bedroom waiting for this guy to smash through the door with no way to protect yourself?
    Sheep are always anti-gun until they need one.
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links