Update to the 7-11 Clerk Shooting Story

This is a discussion on Update to the 7-11 Clerk Shooting Story within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Many read the story of the 7-11 clerk ( http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ng-7-11-a.html ) who fought back during a robbery and ended up shooting the BG. Here is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Update to the 7-11 Clerk Shooting Story

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

Update to the 7-11 Clerk Shooting Story

Many read the story of the 7-11 clerk (http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ng-7-11-a.html) who fought back during a robbery and ended up shooting the BG. Here is an update to the story:

Man shot by clerk ordered to trial - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Kaelin Weber said he didn't have much time to react Christmas morning when a masked robber walked in, showed a knife and jumped the counter of an Ingram convenience store.

"He got me to the ground and started hitting me. I thought to myself, 'I'm about to get stabbed.' Then I remembered I had my gun. I pulled the trigger and started shooting," Weber, 23, testified Thursday during a hearing.

As the robber fled, Weber said, he cursed at him and "tried to shoot him again."

Lawrence Davis, 20, who was shot several times in the chest and arm, pleaded not guilty before Crafton District Judge Dennis Joyce, who after the hearing ordered Davis to face trial on aggravated assault and robbery charges.

"I only tried to feed my family and I got shot in my back," Davis said as police led him back to jail in handcuffs.

Weber, who was cut during the robbery, was not charged.

Joyce dismissed an attempted homicide charge against Davis after Assistant Public Defender Michael Yoder argued his client never tried to kill Weber.

"It was the clerk who chased the perpetrator out of the store," Yoder said.

Assistant District Attorney Mike Pradines disagreed, and said Weber's gun saved him.

"This would have turned out much worse for Mr. Weber had he not fought back and been armed," Pradines said.

A surveillance video shows a man with a cloth over his head enter the store and jump over the counter. Some of the struggle is not caught on camera because the pair fought on the floor. Weber then fired another shot from his 9 mm handgun, shattering the glass door as the thief ran outside.

Weber said he fired another shot while outside, but missed.

"I tried to shoot him again because he was still moving," Weber said. "He yelled, 'I'm hurt. Call an ambulance.' He came out from an alley with his hands out and got on the ground.

"I called police and then went back in the store to put a new magazine in my gun."

Ingram police Officer Scott Weiler testified that when he arrived he saw Davis lying on the ground with socks on his hands, pleading for help. He was bleeding from his chest and mouth, Weiler said.

Weber will face charges in a separate gun incident that occurred Friday, Allegheny County prosecutors said yesterday. Police said Weber pulled a gun on a customer at the store during an argument over change for cigarettes. Weber, who will receive notification by mail, will be charged with simple assault and reckless endangerment, prosecutors said.

Allegheny County Sheriff Bill Mullen revoked Weber's license to carry a firearm as a result of the second incident.
    Sad to hear that the clerk is losing his CCW for doing something stupid.

If the BG was really trying to feed his family maybe he ought to try something on the right side of the law, like a job.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

2. Remove Ads

I'm certainly glad that this clerk survived, but it sounds like he is an accident waiting to happen...

Weber (the clerk) will face charges in a separate gun incident that occurred Friday, Allegheny County prosecutors said yesterday. Police said Weber pulled a gun on a customer at the store during an argument over change for cigarettes. Weber, who will receive notification by mail, will be charged with simple assault and reckless endangerment, prosecutors said.

Stay armed...don't pull your gun over cigaretts...stay safe!

CT-Mike...where do you find all the news reports?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

2 questions here, first why was the individual not fired for violating store policy regarding carry a weapon at work?
    (dont get me wrong here folks, I carry, but it is not against my companies policy to do so, almost all of your chain stores have policy against it)

2nd question, did the individual not realize that when he was no longer in danger he should not have been shooting? I wasnt there, But I do know how adrenaline works in a situation like this, and since other members of this site are going to read this as a responcible gun owner I have to say that the person did not prepare mentally before hand. A fine line between vigilantee and self defense, something every legal gun owner needs to consistantly remind themselves of when they pack.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    In a Brittany Murphy voice: I'll never tell.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Ok, when I first read the report of how he chased the guy out of the store and shot at him, I thought he may have walked a fine line between self defense and vigilantism. To see that this guy also pulled a gun during a simple disagreement over change, which I'm sure happens all the time at 7-11, now I'm sure this guy probably doesn't have the right stuff upstairs to responsibly carry a gun. Drawing on a customer? This guy probably has a jacket with "Mall Ninja" written on the back.

Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
    In a Brittany Murphy voice: I'll never tell.
    Why Brittany Murphy? You mean her voice as Bobby Hill?

Quote Originally Posted by kimberbp22 View Post
    Why Brittany Murphy? You mean her voice as Bobby Hill?
    What movie starred Michael Douglas as a psychiatrist (and Brittany Murphy of course)?.

- Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
    What movie starred Michael Douglas as a psychiatrist (and Brittany Murphy of course)?.
    Ah, that's right. "Don't Say a Word". Brittany's hawt.

Anyhow...

First time, walked the line. Second time...I am a thinking that he is a little too quick to grab the gun. Some people just should not be allowed to have a gun without sufficient education, or common sense.

I would have thought that an officer or someone...like his lawyer should have gave him a good dressing down for chasing after the suspect and shooting when he was running away.

There may be more to the story over the change... conversation and video we have not seen, where the customer may have threatened him...who knows.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by Southtexas View Post
    . . . did the individual not realize that when he was no longer in danger he should not have been shooting? I wasnt there, But I do know how adrenaline works in a situation like this, and since other members of this site are going to read this as a responcible gun owner I have to say that the person did not prepare mentally before hand. A fine line between vigilantee and self defense, something every legal gun owner needs to consistantly remind themselves of when they pack.
    I find it somewhat incredible that the clerk is being critized and second guessed on his actions. It seems that we overlook the fact that he was fighting for his life just moments earlier and then is criticized for not ending his defense at the proper moment.

It is so easy to sit back on the computer and analyze and criticise his conduct. As to me -- I will give him the benefit of the doubt -- so will the grand jury.

As to his separate offense of drawing a weapon over the cigarette matter, he needs to be criticized.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    "I only tried to feed my family and I got shot in my back,"
    What a great quote. Maybe he can file for unemployment now that he will be "out of work" while in prison?

On a serious note, with regard to the clerk, it might be a good idea to play it cool with your CCW if you were just involved in a shooting incident. It's hard to tell with so little info about the cigarette /customer thing.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I'm certainly glad that this clerk survived, but it sounds like he is an accident waiting to happen...

Weber (the clerk) will face charges in a separate gun incident that occurred Friday, Allegheny County prosecutors said yesterday. Police said Weber pulled a gun on a customer at the store during an argument over change for cigarettes. Weber, who will receive notification by mail, will be charged with simple assault and reckless endangerment, prosecutors said.

Stay armed...don't pull your gun over cigaretts...stay safe!

Not only the above, but, once the BG in running away or outside the threat was over.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Actually...these stories work against us in our fight for CCW and 2nd Admendment. Trigger happy, I have a gun mentality. It is what turns people against weapons when someone who has a CCW brandishes a gun over a pack of cigarettes.

This outcome is actually bad...won the battle, lost the war.

Rick

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    "He got me to the ground and started hitting me. I thought to myself, 'I'm about to get stabbed.' Then I remembered I had my gun. I pulled the trigger and started shooting,"
    I need the name of his holster maker. Then maybe I would forget that I'm carrying!
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Second incident was obviously incredibly poor, dangerously poor judgment. But, in fairness, perhaps he's a bit jumpy after the first incident...
    "War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links