Off-Duty Subway Conductor Possibly Kills Good Samaritan After Being Stabbed

This is a discussion on Off-Duty Subway Conductor Possibly Kills Good Samaritan After Being Stabbed within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Transit worker fights back at 4 attackers, fatally stabbing one A subway conductor who stabbed a mugger more than a decade ago fought off three ...

Thread: Off-Duty Subway Conductor Possibly Kills Good Samaritan After Being Stabbed

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

Off-Duty Subway Conductor Possibly Kills Good Samaritan After Being Stabbed

Transit worker fights back at 4 attackers, fatally stabbing one

A subway conductor who stabbed a mugger more than a decade ago fought off three attackers in a bloody Harlem knife fight Friday that left a good Samaritan dead, police said.

The good Samaritan, 28-year-old Flonarza Byas, waded into the midnight free-for-all not knowing who needed help, police sources said.

Byas was stabbed nine times and fatally wounded at W. 139th St. and St. Nicholas Ave.

"He didn't know who was the good guy or who was the bad guys," a police source said.

Investigators said it's possible that off-duty conductor Maurice Parks - a small but muscular martial arts expert - and the three thugs attempting to rob him all turned on Byas during the chaos because no one knew who he was.

Police sources said Parks, 39, may have inflicted the fatal wounds, but cautioned that the medical examiner will make the final determination by comparing the wounds to the two knives recovered at the scene.

One of the muggers was carrying a folding knife while Parks was armed with a straight blade.

Parks, a father of three, must have looked like an easy target as he walked home with a backpack slung over his uniform just 30 minutes after his shift ended, but he's a jujitsu black belt who stabbed a man who tried to mug him in 1994.

So when a knife-wielding mugger and two accomplices smashed him in the head, the conductor flew into action.

"We train for the street," said Parks' childhood martial arts instructor, Master John Davis. "We try not to get into problems. But when problems come our way, we do what we have to do."

A few chaotic minutes into the clash, Byas, 28, apparently jumped into the mayhem, police sources said. When the brawl ended, Parks was bleeding from a stab wound to his gut and slashes on his hands, and Byas was fatally wounded, police said.

Two suspects were soon in custody: a paroled drug dealer stabbed in the abdomen and a teen with two prior robbery arrests. Both were nabbed as they tried to hail a cab. A third suspect fled the scene and remained on the loose Friday night.

Byas, who lived with his fiancée near the mugging scene, died at Harlem Hospital from multiple stab wounds to his chest and back, a police source said.

His fiancée, Stephanie Diaz, said he had been working two jobs and was walking back to her apartment after finishing his second shift. His oldest brother, Jeovanni, said Byas must have been coming to the conductor's aid.

"More than likely, he just walked out of nowhere, and saw something going on, and moved in to help," Jeovanni said. "That's his nature."

Police sources said Parks may have had the upper hand on his attackers by the time Byas appeared and the good Samaritan got confused and possibly attacked Parks.

The dreadlocked, athletic Parks was in stable condition at Harlem Hospital. His mother, Mona, and other loved ones were at his bedside and a cop was guarding the room. "I'm glad he did what he did," his mom said. "Otherwise, he would be dead."

A police source said Parks stabbed and wounded another mugger in a 1994 robbery attempt in Queens. Parks was first arrested for attempted murder, but the charge was dismissed, the source said.

Family and friends described him as a loving father of three children, ages 11, 13 and 14.

"He's always been very nice, especially after my husband died," said friend Ramona Colon. "He bought me cake, he bought me soda, he offered to take my grandson to school."

Parks' cousin, Jerome Marzan, said Parks had once thwarted a bank robbery while working as a security guard before joining the MTA. Parks was a "law-abiding citizen," Marzan said.

The wounded suspect, Hector Cruz, 21, was in stable condition at Harlem Hospital. His accomplice Leandro Ventura, 15, was hauled to the 26th Precinct stationhouse and charged with robbery. It was his third arrest on that charge since last May. He was also arrested for felony assault last February.

Police sources said Ventura and Cruz blame one another for stabbing Parks.
    Too bad the guy can't get a permit to carry something a little more useful than a blade. Although, seeing that he has a black-belt, a blade might be enough for him in CQC.

Certainly sad that the samaritan was the one who ended up with the fatal wounds.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

2. Remove Ads

The good Samaritan, 28-year-old Flonarza Byas, waded into the midnight free-for-all not knowing who needed help, police sources said.

Byas was stabbed nine times and fatally wounded at W. 139th St. and St. Nicholas Ave.

"He didn't know who was the good guy or who was the bad guys," a police source said.
    If anyone was still in need of a good example of why it's tactical lunacy to wade into a situation blindly, this is it. Not everything's rosy just 'cause the sun comes up in the morning. Use your heads. Walking into the midst of a junkyard dog brawl, unprepared, ain't it. Don't be like this poor guy.

Tallying the good this guy did, he had poor likelihood of success, made a go of it, got killed for it, has now placed his family in the situation of not having him around, and didn't solve the problem. Was it worth it? All for what?, the belief some may have that his actions were pure? A lot of good that did anyone.

I'm all for helping, when helping can help. Not otherwise.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Assistant Administrator
    Certainly one heck of a reminder not to wade in - any old how.

Split second decisions are needed and within that micro time segment a judgement has to be made as to whether to intevene or not .. it is easy to see how mistakes can occur - way too easily.

Sometimes situations leave one as an outsider - ''damned if you do (or dead), damned if don't''
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

be sure of your target
    War is not the ugliest of things. Worse is the decayed state of moral feeling which thinks nothing is worth a war. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which he cares for more than his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free. -J.S. Mill

+1 CCW9mm

I guess the wanna be helpmate had never seen either Westside Story nor The Outsiders.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

It may seem 'wimpy' not to give aid to a fight victim (if you really knew who it was), but not in today's world. I have enough to worry about just keeping track of me and my family. I'm not a cop, nor a referee...but I can call 911 and be a good witness...from a safe distance!

Stay armed...be smart...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Links