Trouble for Trouble - Page 2

Trouble for Trouble

This is a discussion on Trouble for Trouble within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by morintp I had a neighbor in NY that had a pitbull. This dog was rescued from a dog fighter. It was the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by morintp View Post
    I had a neighbor in NY that had a pitbull. This dog was rescued from a dog fighter. It was the sweetest, gentlest dog you've ever seen....
    I really wish people would start finishing this quote...

'It was the sweetest, gentlest dog you've ever seen...(continued) We never expected him to kill/maim/attack that neighbor. He had never showed any signs of aggression, we just don't how this could have happened.'

There is no such thing as a sweet, gentle pit bull...it's like the tooth fairy or santa clause...they only exist in children's minds. At some point in time you have to grow up and realize these things are vicious. They are bred for it. Yes, over 70% of dog bites are from labs, not pit bulls, but over 90% of fatal dog bites are by pitbulls and rotts...and I'm sure if you ask those owners, their dogs had never showed any signs of aggression either.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Sig 210 View Post
    Here in OK folks like to dump their unwanted dogs off in the country where they hassle livestock, wild game and sometimes, people. About 8 months ago I was attacked by a huge unkempt Samoyed while hunting. He ate a 20 gauge shotgun slug.
    I'm an Okie also and feral dogs are a problem. Here if you shoot a dog on your property in the country you will not be troubled by the law. I've got a friend that just shot 2, $2000 Great Danes that the owner wouldn't keep home after they killed a couple of his goats and he spoke with them. Shot them both with a 30-06, dropped on on the spot the other made it home when the shot was too far back. They called the sheriff and tried to tell him that it was shot on their property. The friend that did the shooting showed them the blood trail and dead dog on his property and that was the end of the story. I've got a short temper for any dog that does not stay home and it better not growl at me on my place or it's the last growl it will ever do. I opened up on a pack of 4 feral dogs a few years ago chasing our cattle. 5 shots from my Bushmaster at 50 to 200 yards dropped them all. One I had to shoot twice. I make my dogs stay home why can't other people do the same? I don't like being put in the position of having to shoot a dog.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

Quote Originally Posted by Creature View Post
    Sure it will. After they have to cough up a couple grand in fines, they will think twice about letting the dog get loose.
    True in theory. Losing a judgment doesn't mean they'll pay or change their attitude. I've had to collect on a judgment before, it took years. Meanwhile, the company (a General Contractor) was still in business, and still ripping people off the entire time. They even subsequently tried to put a lien on my house as if they had never lost the court case. Five years later they finally are done paying.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BerneyG View Post
    I really wish people would start finishing this quote...

'It was the sweetest, gentlest dog you've ever seen...(continued) We never expected him to kill/maim/attack that neighbor. He had never showed any signs of aggression, we just don't how this could have happened.'

There is no such thing as a sweet, gentle pit bull...it's like the tooth fairy or santa clause...they only exist in children's minds. At some point in time you have to grow up and realize these things are vicious. They are bred for it. Yes, over 70% of dog bites are from labs, not pit bulls, but over 90% of fatal dog bites are by pitbulls and rotts...and I'm sure if you ask those owners, their dogs had never showed any signs of aggression either.
    Now, I don't want to get into a ******* match with you, but not all pitbulls are vicious. That is a stereotype that is perpetuated by the same liberal media that believes all guns are bad and should be banned. As I mentioned in my original post that you only quoted a piece of, this dog was was sweet and gentle. It was a big baby. It never once showed any type of aggression towards anyone or anything.

Pitbulls are a product of their environment, just like most things. If they are raised to be aggressive, they are. If they are raised to be gentle, they are. The real problem with pitbulls is their reputation. Because of that, the worst kind of people buy them and raise them. That's why you hear so many negative reports about pitbulls. But when a responsible owner raises any dog, even a pitbull, it doesn't attack without provocation.

Quote Originally Posted by morintp View Post
    Pitbulls are a product of their environment, just like most things. If they are raised to be aggressive, they are. If they are raised to be gentle, they are. The real problem with pitbulls is their reputation. Because of that, the worst kind of people buy them and raise them. That's why you hear so many negative reports about pitbulls. But when a responsible owner raises any dog, even a pitbull, it doesn't attack without provocation.
    I responded in detail to your PM, but since you didn't say the same things here, I'll respond here, also.
    You could be right about all of your statements. But, I don't agree.
    A friend of mine had a pitbull from the time it was a puppy. An ideal dog, he had it for about 10 years. One day it attacked his 3 year old daughter. She was watching TV, nowhere near the dog. We don't know why the attack happened. The pitbull had never showed signs of aggression. The dog got put down and his daughter will carry the scars for the rest of her life, even after the reconstructive surgery. These were upper-middle class people living in an upscale neighborhood. These weren't the stereotypical 'I want a pitbull so I feel more manly' kind of people. They took very good care of the dog, and one day it turned. There are numerous accounts of this same thing happening, I just happen to know these people personally. It's kind of like the old adage...There are two kinds of motorcycle riders...Those who have been down, and those will go down.
    In an ideal world, if you were careful, followed the laws, paid attention to what was going on around you, you would never get in a wreck...but sometimes things happen outside your control.

My safety and my families safety means enough to me that I try to minimize any outside hazards that aren't within my control. I consider the temperment of a Pitbull to be one of those things.

And to say again, I agree that only a small percentage of dog bites are from pitbulls...But over 90% of the fatalities are from pitbulls and rotts...What that means to me is, if a pitbull attacks me, it's going to keep attacking me until it kills me or I kill it. I typically try to stay away from life or death situations.
    Last edited by Kerbouchard; January 14th, 2008 at 03:59 PM. Reason: after looking at various sites, depending on the study it is only 50-75% of the fatalities, mostly male dogs.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BerneyG View Post
    I responded in detail to your PM, but since you didn't say the same things here, I'll respond here, also.
    I think you have me confused with someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
    How was a dog who brutally mauled someone once still alive?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links