Apartment Complex Security Guards Returns Fire and Kills Driver

This is a discussion on Apartment Complex Security Guards Returns Fire and Kills Driver within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Star-Telegram.com: | 01/13/2008 | Security guard shoots, kills man A shootout at a Richland Hills apartment complex early Sunday left a man dead and a ...

Thread: Apartment Complex Security Guards Returns Fire and Kills Driver

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

Star-Telegram.com: | 01/13/2008 | Security guard shoots, kills man

A shootout at a Richland Hills apartment complex early Sunday left a man dead and a security guard in the hospital, according to reports.

The incident happened about 4 a.m. Sunday at the Bellaire Apartments, 7030 Baker Boulevard.

It is unclear what started the incident, but according to NBC5, an armed security guard on patrol was shot and returned fire at three men attempting to flee in a minivan.

One of the bullets hit the driver of the van in the head, and after jumping a median on Baker Boulevard (also known as Highway 10), the van came to a stop off the road, the report said. The driver died at the scene, the report said.

The other two men were in custody, the report said.

The condition of the guard, who was hit in the stomach and taken to John Peter Smith Hospital, was not known, but he is expected to survive, NBC5 reported.
    Too bad the guard ate a bullet, but good shooting (or lucky) to hit a moving target in the head.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Well, I guess that drive-by didn't go as planned.

VIP Member
    No fun to hunt when the bunnies shoot back, huh?
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

hope the guard will be ok. one less bg on earth,two less bgs on the streets.
    nice shot on the guards part though.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

VIP Member
    Again with the shooting at moving vehicles... Without knowing the details - and the article just says they were "attempting to flee" - I can't say that it was or was not a good idea... It turned out well, of course, but a driverless van shooting down "Highway 10" sounds like a dangerous proposition.

Hope the guard recovers quickly and fully.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

So lemme get this straight, the guard was shot in the gut, and then managed to pull of a head shot on a moving target. Sounds like a pretty tough shot to me.

-Alex
    -Never insult a man you are not prepared to fight, and never fight a man you are not prepared to kill.

That's the ticket as told 769.
    A damned good or lucky shot.

In this case OPFOR I would disagree with you in regard to firing on a moving vehicle.
    The gent here was in immediate mortal danger and not only taking fire but was hit as well. He was justified to fire onto the vehicle in defense of himself toward an effort to stop further attack by the occupants even as the vehicle was motorized and in motion.
    No defense of property or those darn BGs are getting away scene in this case as have been with the others.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    That's the ticket as told 769.
    A damned good or lucky shot.

In this case OPFOR I would disagree with you in regard to firing on a moving vehicle.
    The gent here was in immediate mortal danger and not only taking fire but was hit as well. He was justified to fire onto the vehicle in defense of himself toward an effort to stop further attack by the occupants even as the vehicle was motorized and in motion.
    No defense of property or those darn BGs are getting away scene in this case as have been with the others.

- Janq
    I'm with Janq on this one. Normally I don't support the fleeing vehicle shoots but this time it's not just a fleeing vehicle. It's a fleeing vehicle with the man that just tried to kill you in it. He's both capable of, and evidently willing to kill someone else and if its the last thing I do on this earth before I expire, I want to make sure he doesn't kill someone else too.

That said, as Opfor pointed out, we don't know all the details. Was he shooting at the car as it drove toward or past him in his immediate vicinity (and therefor a threat in and of itself) or was he fifty yards down the road heading away from him? There comes a point where it's irresponsible to take the shot even when justified.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

OPFOR, also consider that it was 4 AM. Probably the road was entirely deserted, and we don't know what might be on the roadside behind the van...

Glad things worked out mostly "alright." Good guy lives, BG not so much. Good day.
    "War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

It sounds appears that there were a total of 5 men in the van. Two of them got away, one dead and two of them are in custody. Apparently the guard came upon them while they were engaged in some criminal activity and one or more of the 5 initiated the gunfire at the guard.

Star-Telegram.com: | 01/14/2008 | Police seek cause of Richland Hills shootout

At 4:00 in the morning with the vehicle being inside the apartment complex I would not be too concerned over shooting at a vehicle that was in motion. It sounds as if it coasted across the roadway.

Sounds like the guard will be ok. Glad it is going to turn out ok for him. Hope they find the other two that got away and charge them with murder along with the two that are in custody.

This goes into the good shoot column so far in my book.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

You can "What if" something to death. How about this: From this point on, we put the onus of ANY crime or ANY death on top of the bad guy. Simple. Dirtbag shoots at a cop or security guard, then they have the right to shoot back. If the bad guy gets hit, good. If an innocent person gets hit or killed by either the bad guy's bullet OR the cop's or security guard's bullet then the bad guy, not the good guys, are held accountable because if there hadn't of been a crime there would have been ZERO gunfire. Somebody in the car, truck or van gets hit, even another bad guy, then the other bad guys get charged with it. Civil suit? You have to sue the bad guys and collect from them. Good guys are all immune from any civil suits in this state. IT'S THE BAD GUYS, FOLKS!! Make their lives so miserable that they won't want to live in your state. After ANY three felonies, deport them overseas with orders to shoot to kill them if they EVER come back. Have you ever noticed that armed robbery rates dramatically drop after a couple of them get killed by the good guys? Shoot a bad guy, punish a bad guy and your crime rates drop. Imagine that.
    Imagine that you're an enemy soldier and you are surrounded by U.S. Army paratroopers on one side and American marines on the other side... Talk about a hopeless situation... That has got to be legal grounds for suicide!

Quote Originally Posted by Airborne Sniper View Post
    You can "What if" something to death. How about this: From this point on, we put the onus of ANY crime or ANY death on top of the bad guy. Simple. Dirtbag shoots at a cop or security guard, then they have the right to shoot back. If the bad guy gets hit, good. If an innocent person gets hit or killed by either the bad guy's bullet OR the cop's or security guard's bullet then the bad guy, not the good guys, are held accountable because if there hadn't of been a crime there would have been ZERO gunfire. Somebody in the car, truck or van gets hit, even another bad guy, then the other bad guys get charged with it. Civil suit? You have to sue the bad guys and collect from them. Good guys are all immune from any civil suits in this state. IT'S THE BAD GUYS, FOLKS!! Make their lives so miserable that they won't want to live in your state. After ANY three felonies, deport them overseas with orders to shoot to kill them if they EVER come back. Have you ever noticed that armed robbery rates dramatically drop after a couple of them get killed by the good guys? Shoot a bad guy, punish a bad guy and your crime rates drop. Imagine that.
    +1. Something along this line happened in MO when a MSHP trooper was in route to a BG response and was killed in a traffic accident unrelated to the crime. The BG had a homicide charge added to his other crimes.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

VIP Member
    I don't think I've ever suggested anything remotely like puting the "onus" on anyone other than the bad guy. The point here isn't blame, it's death. If your wife got run over by the bad guys pilotless van, or your child got killed by the stray rounds that missed the moving (fleeing) vehicle, would it make it better knowing that it was a good guys bullet? Yes, it's the bad guys fault, 100%. No, that doesn't make you any less dead.

And, as I stated, we didn't know the facts at the time of my post. All it said was he fired at a fleeing vehicle - nothing in there said that there were shots coming from that fleeing vehicle. Obviously, if you are taking fire, you do whatever is necessary to stop taking fire: move to cover, shoot back, call in an air strike. However, when the threat is over and you are still firing, you have become the threat.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

VIP Member
    Look at the good side......the Driver won't have to go to court

Sponsored Links