Stray bullet paralyzes boy

This is a discussion on Stray bullet paralyzes boy within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Not "personal defense", but a good reminder of why shot placement is so important. Mods: please delete if inappropriate - thanks! Stray bullet hits boy ...

Thread: Stray bullet paralyzes boy

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar

Stray bullet paralyzes boy

Not "personal defense", but a good reminder of why shot placement is so important. Mods: please delete if inappropriate - thanks!

Stray bullet hits boy taking piano lesson, paralyzing him - CNN.com

--------------------- begin article ------------------------

Stray bullet hits boy taking piano lesson, paralyzing him

OAKLAND, California (CNN) -- Fifth-grader Christopher Rodriguez sat down Thursday at his piano for his weekly lesson, arched his fingers over the keys and began to play.

Across the street from Harmony Road Music School in north Oakland, California, Jared Adams, 24, allegedly raised his gun at a Chevron gas station attendant during a holdup and fired.

A bullet ripped through the walls of Christopher's classroom striking him in his side, piercing his kidney and spleen and lodging in his spine. The bullet barely missed the 10-year-old's heart.

He will likely be paralyzed for life from the waist down, doctors say.

"This is probably the worst thing that's ever happened to me in my life. I love my son greatly," the boy's father, Richard Rodriguez, said Friday at a news conference.

Christopher loved music. He had recently taken up African drumming, spent hours listening to classical music and played basketball.

"I feel like half his life was taken from him; his inability, probably, to walk -- ever," Rodriguez said, his voice breaking.

Christopher's mother, Jennifer Rodriguez, had been waiting outside in her SUV for her son's lesson to end.

She not only heard the shots but came close to being hit herself. At least two bullets from Adams' gun struck her vehicle, police said.

On the phone and distracted, she at first dismissed the noises as someone throwing rocks at her SUV. But when she realized it was gunfire, she dashed into her son's class. Christopher was on the floor, his classmates and instructor hovering over him.

"I can't feel my legs! I can't feel my legs!" Christopher cried.

As emergency workers rushed the boy to the hospital, police were chasing Adams, who was speeding away. Adams rammed his vehicle into a car carrying a woman and her two children and then slammed into a parked car, police said.

The woman and children escaped without injury, according to authorities.

Adams was charged Monday with attempted murder, robbery, evading a police officer, driving recklessly and being an ex-felon in possession of a firearm, Oakland Police Department spokesman Roland Holmgren told CNN.

He's being held without bail, according to Holmgren. CNN was not immediately able to determine whether he had a lawyer.

Authorities found a ski mask, loaded gun and cash at the scene. Adams has prior convictions for driving under the influence and gun possession, records show. He pleaded no contest to felony evading arrest in 2006 for fleeing an Emeryville police officer and had run from or physically resisted a California Highway Patrol officer and police in Albany and Berkeley, the San Francisco Chronicle reported.

Adams once complained in court that young people raised in the city like himself never got opportunities, the paper also reported.

Adams has been told about Christopher, said Holmgren.

"It doesn't matter whether it's your first day on the street as an officer or a veteran, to see a child doing something as innocent as taking a piano lesson and have this happen to him, it affects your soul," said Holmgren.

Meanwhile, doctors delivered tragic news about Christopher's future.

"He's going to face years of rehabilitation," said Dr. James Betts, chief of surgery at Children's Hospital Oakland. "We are all hoping there will be some degree of recovery. We feel like the injury is permanent, and the paralysis is permanent.

"[It will be] a challenging life for this young boy."

Christopher's friends and fellow music lovers plan to help him.

Harmony Road Music School will hold a benefit concert for the Rodriguez family February 10 at 2 p.m. at Chapel of the Chimes, a place of worship near the school.

"The family is going to have to, essentially, make a home for a disabled child now," said school owner Jim Callahan. "They'll have to change the stairs in their home, make all sorts of expensive adjustments."

Callahan met with instructors at Harmony Road Monday. They are talking about the incident with the students old enough to understand what happened.

Classes have not stopped.

"Music has a healing quality all its own," said Callahan. "We will not be terrorized by this."

--------------------- end article -------------------------

I think maybe I'll work on my marksmanship some more. And pray for the kid.

2. Remove Ads

Can't agree that bad marksmanship was the problem here. I'm gonna go with letting this dirt bag back on the street after all his previous arrests.

Proper punishment in a case like this is to give him to the kid's father.

But maybe that's just me......

my prays go out to the boy and his family. im at a lose of words for that
    scum of the earth for what he took away from that poor kid. and for what,
    a couple dollars from a gas station.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

I just read that on the CNN website. I wish that guy much bad things for him in prision. My prayers to the kid and his family.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    Can't agree that bad marksmanship was the problem here. I'm gonna go with letting this dirt bag back on the street after all his previous arrests.
    I quite agree! No, I was thinking of MR BIG SAVIOR OF THE WORLD WITH HIS CCW here. I carry, but question my abilities unless it's a shootout in an elevator. I need to train more, and do more pull-and-shoot close-in stuff. I don't want to send stray rounds into kids should I ever need to shoot for-reals. My hat's off to all of you guys who really have trained properly - I'm getting there, and this article really motivated me.
    Proper punishment in a case like this is to give him to the kid's father
    Scripture says vengeance belongs to the Lord - I wouldn't want the dad to get in trouble by usurping God's authority. BUT, I certainly hope Bubba & Company thoroughly enjoy their new best friend...

Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    Scripture says vengeance belongs to the Lord - I wouldn't want the dad to get in trouble by usurping God's authority.
    .....but would it necessarily be a bad thing if the father simply expedited the DB's appearance before God?

It should no longer astound and amaze the extent of the lack of concern some criminals have over the lives of all others.

BTW, the problem here wasn't poor aim. The problem was aggravated robbery, attempted murder, felon with a firearm, yadda yadda yadda.

"Music has a healing quality all its own," said Callahan. "We will not be terrorized by this."
    The fear is there. That's the terror of it all, caused by this felon.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

This is _EXACTLY_ why I say do not fire onto BGs who are fleeing and running on foot or in a car (!) driving away from you thus no longer an imminent danger to you or anyone else even if they did take your wallet, iPod, or favorite DVD.

Every bullet you fire has a cost associated to it and unless you live and/or find yourself out in the middle of nowhere otherwise uninhabited for a mile or more around you then and only then it would be okay and responsible acting to do so. Bullets may miss and they may even hit their intended target (i.e. car) but that does not mean they will not penetrate and continue moving forward with energy enough to damage other innocent persons and/or their property.

Further this is also why in a post last week I stated that use of a rifle in HD is not advisable, and specifically the one recent report toward use of an AK as a HD tool (all three rounds the home owner fired in that case were misses) is completely irresponsible and a danger to public safety.

In this case as reported yesterday via CNN the BG had fired from outside bullets going through the door glass of a car on both sides then entering the wall of the building the boy was playing in and hitting the back of the piano the boy was practicing on exiting that and entering his body and still had enough energy to penetrate deeply severing his spinal cord!
    This was a regular off the street commercial pistol round, not a rifle nor something exotic and high powered like a 10MM. Imagine what might have occurred had that round been a 7.62x39mm from an AK...the AK of a so called GG supposedly defending his home.

In this case the shooter was a BG with a pistol and not a civilian.
    But in other cases where civilians have been shooting rounds at fleeing BGs on the street and in cars this very easily could have and may happen as well.
    Know your background and what or who lies beyond it.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Assistant Administrator
    Tragic in the extreme ........ and a salutary reminder of just how stray bullets can ruin someone elses day.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Janq...I was thinking the same thing...you just said it better. There have been a number of threads lately on shooting at vehicles, in stores etc...definitely food for thought.

Best wishes for the boy and family.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    ...BTW, the problem here wasn't poor aim. The problem was aggravated robbery, attempted murder, felon with a firearm, yadda yadda yadda....
    I never meant to indicate poor aim had anything to do with this current situation. Rather, my concern is entirely with my OWN aim, should I ever need to fire. I really don't want to take out a friendly. Sorry for being unclear.

the bad guy Adams is the one who fired? I sure feel bad for the kid and his family. It just goes to show what a stray bullet can do.

It still amazes me how a BG can unload a handgun (often a small caliber) point blank at their target, miss all shots, and injure/kill someone who is barricaded (for lack of a better description) at extreme ranges (up to 1 mile on on incident here in Denver).

Anyone taking bets on weather or not the BG or his family gets sued in civil court? Cause you know damn well we would if we took the shot in self defense of our life or someone else's.

I do hope the Dr.'s are wrong (guesswork in white lab coats) and the kid gets a full recovery.

I would also be perfectly fine with the BG having to do all of the retrofitting work for a wheelchair bound person to the victims home, then have him released to the custody of the kids father for final punishment.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Links