Home Invasion in Stonington, CT

This is a discussion on Home Invasion in Stonington, CT within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; WTNH.com, Connecticut News and Weather - One hospitalized following home invasion Stonington (WTNH) _ Police in Stonington are on the scene of a home invasion ...

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

WTNH.com, Connecticut News and Weather - One hospitalized following home invasion

Stonington (WTNH) _ Police in Stonington are on the scene of a home invasion in the Pawcatuck section of Stonington.

It happened around 4:20 this afternoon and police say one person has been transported to an area hospital.

More details will be posted as they become available.
    I will post more info as it becomes available. This was about 10 miles from the house. Scary.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    What size city is this?It seems home invasions are moving into small towns also.Just curious.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Stonington is a relatively small village by most standards. It is an upscale community, mostly residential. The 2000 census showed 17,906 residents.

Welcome to Stonington, CT

I haven't lived in that area in >30 years, but I'd be surprised if Stonington saw a lot of violent crime.

Stonington is a small town covering about 50 square miles, and 18,000 people or so. The borough of Stonington (part of the town of Stonington), is very pricey with most if not all homes in the 7 figures. I wouldn't be surprised if the invasion happened there.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

Updated information here:

WTNH.com, Connecticut News and Weather - Police led on wild chase after Stonington home invasion

tonington (WTNH) _ An elderly couple is beaten inside their Stonington home. Suspects give a great chase with police following close behind. It all started on River Road in the Pawcatuck section of town and ended, right over the border into Rhode island.

This all began late this afternoon in the lower Pawcatuck area of Stonington. A man knocked on the door of a home and asked to use the bathroom. Once inside, he beat up the elderly couple who live there and robbed them.

The area in which this incident occurred is seemingly quiet and safe. Neighbors tell us they are surprised that a crime has occurred here. After the home invasion, the husband was able to call police and give them a pretty detailed description of the suspect's car.

The police were able to catch up to the suspects. They pursued them over the state line into Rhode Island because this was such a serious attack.

"The suspect assaulted both the occupants and demanded money and valuables as reported initially," Captain Jerry Desmond of the Stonington Police said. "The female victim was seriously assaulted and it included injuries to the facial, neck and head area."

"Our department became involved when Stonington officers were pursuing the suspect's vehicle into Westerly," Chief Ed Mello of Westerly Police said. The pursuit in Westerly lasted approximately ten minutes and traveled through numerous streets throughout town."

The westerly police pursued the suspects to Pearl Street. One suspect was arrested in the car but the other fled on foot and went into a nearby home.

The police chased him into the house and arrested him there. The Stonington woman who was assaulted is being treated at Westerly Hospital. There is no word on her condition at this time.

Police say that this appears to be an isolated incident. It seems to be just a random crime but they are still investigating.
    And here:

WTNH.com, Connecticut News and Weather - Two in court today for Stonington home invasion

Wakefield, R.I. (WTNH) _ Two Rhode Island men charged in connection with the Stonington home invasion last night are scheduled to be in court today.

Edward Northup, 37, and Gregory Whiting, 47, face numerous charges after police say they broke into an elderly couple's home on River Road last night, beating and robbing them.

Police say one of the suspects knocked on the door of a home around 4:30 Tuesday afternoon and asked to use the bathroom. Once inside, he beat up the elderly couple who lived there, leaving the woman in serious condition at an area hospital.

"The suspect assaulted both the occupants and demanded money and valuables as reported initially," Captain Jerry Desmond of the Stonington Police said. "The female victim was seriously assaulted and it included injuries to the facial, neck and head area."

After the home invasion, the husband was able to call police and give them a detailed description of the suspect's car. The police were able to catch up to the suspects and pursued them over the state line into Rhode Island because this was such a serious attack.

"Our department became involved when Stonington officers were pursuing the suspect's vehicle into Westerly," Chief Ed Mello of Westerly Police said. "The pursuit in Westerly lasted approximately ten minutes and traveled through numerous streets throughout town."

Westerly police pursued the suspects to Pearl Street. One suspect was arrested in the car but the other fled on foot and went into a nearby home. The police chased him into the house and arrested him there.
    Second story is almost word-for-word with the first, except that it adds the woman was in serious condition, and that the BG's are due in court today.

- Thomas Jefferson

Why don't these people have guns? Perfectly legal in CT. Just like the Cheshire invasion...no guns for defense and they were left wide open.

Quote Originally Posted by vicksinh55 View Post
    Why don't these people have guns? Perfectly legal in CT. Just like the Cheshire invasion...no guns for defense and they were left wide open.
    Many believe that because it's never happened to me that it never will. Bad logic - especially if one is in their '70s or older.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

And why would someone let a total stranger in the house to go to the bathroom?
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Quote Originally Posted by P7fanatic View Post
    The article doesn't really specify they were let in, it just says "once inside"......the BG's might have strong armed their way in once the dooor was opened. A foot in the doorway makes it very difficult to get it closed.

Quote Originally Posted by vicksinh55 View Post
    Why don't these people have guns?
    Because 'Nothing like this has ever happened before', to them or anyone they might happen to know.

As silly as it sounds it's what I've been told IRL by folks including my wife too.
    As to the incident in Cheshire which occurred last year that is written off as a one time oddball random crime, from last year, and as nothing ever happened like that before therefore nothing will again for *.time-duration.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by P7fanatic View Post
    As an elderly person, never mind any other aged person, why would you not use a peephole or look out the window _first_ to identify the stranger as being a stranger and through a closed door ask what do you want?
    Bathroom? So sorry, we don't have a functioning bathroom at this time, renovations. We have though used public facilities just down the street at the police station. Those guys are mighty hospitable!

Good day kind sir!

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Links