Womans Returns Home and Kills Intruder

This is a discussion on Womans Returns Home and Kills Intruder within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Cross Hill Woman Comes Home, Kills Intruder - News - News Channel 7, Upstate South Carolina A Cross Hill woman returned home to find an ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Womans Returns Home and Kills Intruder

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

Womans Returns Home and Kills Intruder

Cross Hill Woman Comes Home, Kills Intruder - News - News Channel 7, Upstate South Carolina

A Cross Hill woman returned home to find an intruder inside, and then shot and killed him. The incident happened about 8pm this evening on Pineland Shores Road. Laurens County Sheriff Ricky Chastain tells News Channel 7 that the woman heard someone in the home, grabbed a weapon, and saw him hiding in one of the rooms. She then shot him. It was not until after she shot him that she realized she knew him. Chastain says robbery appears to be the motive.

Investigators will now present the case to Solicitor Jerry Peace to determine if the woman will be charged. No names were released this evening.
    Good for her.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

2. Remove Ads

Good for her, but I hate the fact that they say:

Investigators will now present the case to Solicitor Jerry Peace to determine if the woman will be charged.

"It was not until after she shot him that she realized she knew him."

Amazing how many problems are caused by the people we know instead of total strangers.

Choose our friends like books...

Senior Member Array mech1369dlw's Avatar
    Another one bites the dust,
    Another one bites the dust.
    And another one's gone,
    And another one's gone,
    Another one bites the dust.
    Hey Hey !!

Nice to see that ladies are into the shooting sports. Good that she eradicated someone that was not supposed to be in her house, but would have been bad if she had shot someone she cares about. Oh well, the worms will eat good pretty soon.
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

Quote Originally Posted by GBS View Post
    "It was not until after she shot him that she realized she knew him."

Amazing how many problems are caused by the people we know instead of total strangers.

Choose our friends like books...
    Most homicides committed by/against acquaintances.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Sounds like a good shoot to me.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Pretty sure it was a good shoot. No reason for him to be there, hiding under a bed too. Good shoot I think and it should all be good. Presenting to the Solicitor is a way of enacting the Castle doctrine portion of the law and we have that in place in SC. Has to be an investigation and has to be a ruling on that just to make everything official. There is no reason to believe it will go any other way than good at this point.

I'm happy she is safe. Legally, I hope it works out for her. You never know these days.
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Worst part is, after her criminal charges are dismissed, the family of the a**hole she shot will most certainly file a civil claim against her, costing her a ton of cash, even if she wins.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Worst part is, after her criminal charges are dismissed, the family of the a**hole she shot will most certainly file a civil claim against her, costing her a ton of cash, even if she wins.
    Can't. We have the Castle doctrine so good luck trying it... of course... we could have a test case brewing but its not going to be easy for them to do.... hence the Solicitor ruling paving the way to make that much tougher.

I am glad that she was not harmed and I do hope that everything works out for her legally. It sucks that someone had to get shot BUT... that's the price one pays for doing those sorts of things.

Glad to hear the Castle Doctrine applies there! In Arizona, we're blessed with wonderful legal-gun toting laws, but don't have that doctrine here yet. Sure would be nice to know my daughters would be justified in shooting a break-in. They'd probably get by before I did, since we have to prove true self-defense. I believe AZ legislators are working to change that though...

Ours was part of a bill that passed and was signed last year (well... 06 that is). It included a No duty to retreat portion as well.

Here it is as it is posted on the SLED site

PROTECTION OF PERSONS AND PROPERTY ACT

The stated intent of the legislation is to codify the common law castle doctrine, which recognizes that a person’s home is his castle, and to extend the doctrine to include an occupied vehicle and the person’s place of business. This bill authorizes the lawful use of deadly force under certain circumstances against an intruder or attacker in a person’s dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle. The bill provides that there is no duty to retreat if (1) the person is in a place where he has a right to be, including the person’s place of business, (2) the person is not engaged in an unlawful activity, and (3) the use of deadly force is necessary to prevent death, great bodily injury, or the commission of a violent crime. A person who lawfully uses deadly force is immune from criminal prosecution and civil action, unless the person against whom deadly force was used is a law enforcement officer acting in the performance of his official duties and he identifies himself in accordance with applicable law or the person using deadly force knows or reasonably should have known the person is a law enforcement officer.

H.4301 (R412) was signed by the Governor on June 9, 2006.

It is my guess that the Solicitor will find, in this case, that the person had reason to believe that she was preventing death, great bodily injury, or the commission of a violent crime. She had no reason to believe otherwise as he was in her home without invitation and hiding and then coming out of hiding. He could have been there to Rape, Rob and then Murder. She had no way to know otherwise and had reason to believe the worst.

good for her.serves him right. shoundnt have been there in the first place.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    Pretty sure it was a good shoot. No reason for him to be there, hiding under a bed too. Good shoot I think and it should all be good. Presenting to the Solicitor is a way of enacting the Castle doctrine portion of the law and we have that in place in SC. Has to be an investigation and has to be a ruling on that just to make everything official. There is no reason to believe it will go any other way than good at this point.
    I hope you are right. Unfortunately, she will still need to spend thousands of $ for a lawyer just to be proven right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links