Robbery Victim Turns The Tables on 4 Hoodlums

This is a discussion on Robbery Victim Turns The Tables on 4 Hoodlums within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Orlando victim turns gun on 4 robbers -- OrlandoSentinel.com An armed citizen surprised four men who robbed him at gunpoint last week. After being ordered ...

Thread: Robbery Victim Turns The Tables on 4 Hoodlums

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

Robbery Victim Turns The Tables on 4 Hoodlums

Orlando victim turns gun on 4 robbers -- OrlandoSentinel.com

An armed citizen surprised four men who robbed him at gunpoint last week.

After being ordered to his knees, Russel Olofson warned the men that "they should think about it," according to an Orlando police report released this week.

A private investigator with military training, Olofson, 24, told police the robbers snatched his cell phone and a wallet containing his concealed-weapon permit shortly before 10 p.m. Friday outside Ridge Club Apartments.

After the robbers took his items, Olofson stood up, drew his Springfield XD sub-compact 9 mm handgun "and fired two rounds toward male #1 with the silver handgun, possibly striking him," the report states. "Males #2, #3, and #4 then ran southeast . . . and male #1 ran northeast . . ."

A search by police quickly turned up a pistol likely used in the holdup, the report said.

The .45-caliber Ruger pistol and clothing believed to have been worn by male 1 were found in the backyard of a home on Alrix Drive, reports state. The serial numbers on the pistol had been scratched off, a common sign the weapon may have been stolen.

The cell phone and wallet were not recovered. The wallet contained an Iraq Embassy badge, an Army contractor's ID card, Olofson's drivers license and a credit card. Anyone who finds the wallet or knows the identities of the robbers is asked to call Crimeline at 407-423-8477.

Olofson, who had been conducting an investigation for Briggs Corp. Solutions, was not injured. A check by police of area hospitals did not find any reports of patients treated for gunshot wounds.
    Nice work on the victims part, but it seems a little dangerous unless he was certain the 4 scumbags only had the one gun between them.

Unfortunately no gunshot victims turned up, dead or otherwise.
    Last edited by CT-Mike; January 18th, 2008 at 05:18 PM.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

2. Remove Ads

The trouble with stories like this is you never really get a good idea of what really went on, who was standing where, and what each person was exactly doing. On the surface it sounds like a dangerous move 4 against one I agree.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Yup, but the guy obviously had some training, even if only in the military.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

Too bad he didn't get all four of these cruds. Too bad he did not at least hit one or more of them. There is too much of this going on here.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    The guy also seems to have fired after the actual robbery was over. Since he isn't even sure he hit the gunman, my guess would be he fired while they were leaving the scene. Does FL law allow lethal force for protection of property outside the home?

Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    The guy also seems to have fired after the actual robbery was over. Since he isn't even sure he hit the gunman, my guess would be he fired while they were leaving the scene. Does FL law allow lethal force for protection of property outside the home?
    FL lets you stand your ground anywhere. That said, the article does infer that the GG shot at the BG's while they were fleeing - I don't know how that might fit into their law. I don't usually believe the media however, he very well may have yelled at them to stop or he'd shoot, they started to turn with their guns, one thing led to another, etc.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Assistant Administrator
    Even if 4 on 1 ...... if there is a chance of being shot then perhaps still better to draw and fire and stand a chance ... particularly if against one gun.

Hard to judge tho as ever, without knowing the fine details.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    FL lets you stand your ground anywhere.
    Yeah, I know it's no retreat, but that's why I asked about property. If the GG did sheet while they were fleeing, then he was only acting to protect property, not his own person.

I am not trying to crucify the victim; just wishing there were a little more information here...

Funny how people see the same thing two different ways. I posted this over on xdtalk.com also since the GG used an XD. The thread there is all about whether you would go down to your knees or not.

Personally I wouldn't. I would rather die in a pile of my own empty brass than on my knees with one to the back of the head.

- Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
    Funny how people see the same thing two different ways. I posted this over on xdtalk.com also since the GG used an XD. The thread there is all about whether you would go down to your knees or not.
    Right along with the way I read it.
    If they had him go down on his knees, it's entirely within the realm of possibilities they intended to execute him. Rather than wait for a bullet in the back of the head he went on the offensive.
    What really surprises me is that evidently he didn't hit any of the BG's, even with his military (?) training.
    I guess it wouldn't hurt any of us to practice our close combat skills.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    Yeah, I know it's no retreat, but that's why I asked about property. If the GG did sheet while they were fleeing, then he was only acting to protect property, not his own person.

I am not trying to crucify the victim; just wishing there were a little more information here...
    Agreed. An ambiguous article as is par for the course.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Grew up in Orlando, my family is still there, little sad as it seems like I've been seeing more and more of these stories happening there. Maybe I'm just paying more attention to it now, but sure seems like the growth there has taken a hit on the area.

Unfortunately, with all the tourist areas there's always going to be a rich source of targets for crimes such as this.

Nice work on the victims part, but it seems a little dangerous unless he was certain the 4 scumbags only had the one gun between them.
    If as advertised, he was being ordered to his knees. That's a dead giveaway that, like as not, something irreversible is about to occur. You get one shot at it. Coming out "swinging" with an aggressive and quick attack is about the best thing I can think of, if armed, trained and capable. In a similar situation, I'd probably attempt the same thing as well.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post

Personally I wouldn't. I would rather die in a pile of my own empty brass than on my knees with one to the back of the head.
    Exactly my thoughts.

Im all for waiting for the right moment in a situation like this but never put yourself at a bigger dissavantage, your not going to do well shooting on your back...
    "Life is a sexually transmitted disease."... Think about it.

hopefully BG #1 will show up at a hospital soon. if ordered to my knees by BGs i would pull and start firing immediately...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

Links