Burglary Suspect Caught After Attempted Robbery

This is a discussion on Burglary Suspect Caught After Attempted Robbery within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; News-Leader.com | Local News A man reportedly burglarizing an apartment Thursday morning in an area off Battlefield Road was captured after being shot at by ...

Thread: Burglary Suspect Caught After Attempted Robbery

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

News-Leader.com | Local News

A man reportedly burglarizing an apartment Thursday morning in an area off Battlefield Road was captured after being shot at by a resident and chased down by a police dog and several law enforcement officials, according to Capt. Randy Gibson of the Greene County Sheriff's Department.

Two officers and the suspect suffered minor injuries during the chase that traversed across barbed-wire fences, Gibson said.

The incident began around 10:30 a.m. at the Valley apartments just off West Battlefield when someone staying home sick awoke to the sound of a window being pried open in another room, according to Gibson.

The suspect fled back out the window after the resident saw him, according to Gibson.

A neighbor then apparently went after the suspect, firing shots at him, Gibson said.

No one was hurt from the gunshots.

"There was a lot of chaos and commotion."

The Greene County Sheriff's Department, the Springfield Police Department and the Battlefield Police Department responded to the scene and a K-9 unit was deployed to track the suspect, Gibson said.

The suspect led the officers on a short foot pursuit and was taken into custody several blocks away in the vicinity of the West Bypass/West Battlefield area, Gibson said.

Gibson said he expects burglary charges to be filed against the suspect this morning.
    Did the neighbor have the right to chase after the guy and start shooting? Did the neighbor see the guy committing the crime, or was it a "Hey, stop that guy" scenario?

Doesn't seem too smart on the neighbor's part if you ask me.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Agreed, bad plan on the part of the neighbor. Almost a Mr. Horn incident.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Not enough info for me to pass definitive judgment on the neighbor in this case, but having lived in that area for several decades, I can say people there are tired of crime, criminals, and the soft judgments our courts and parole boards routinely hand out to criminals.

Coddling criminals didn't work, and people are fed up with it.

I'll wait until I hear the neighbor's version of the story, such as whether the perp pointed a gun at the neighbor, before I condemn.

Sponsored Links