Resident beats burglars at hide-and-seek

This is a discussion on Resident beats burglars at hide-and-seek within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; (Utah) Resident beats burglars at hide-and-seek January 18th, 2008 @ 9:41pm Sarah Dallof reporting A woman hiding in a closet from burglars was shocked when ...

Thread: Resident beats burglars at hide-and-seek

(Utah)
    January 18th, 2008 @ 9:41pm
    Sarah Dallof reporting

A woman hiding in a closet from burglars was shocked when they opened the doors -- not once but twice -- and never saw her.

The 911 tape from the incident runs for about 13 minutes. It felt like forever to the young woman hiding in the closet. But she had a calm, collected 911 operator helping her through it.

"Please hurry," 21-year-old Brittney said during the 911 call. The operator asked, "Can you hear anybody downstairs?" Brittney answered, "Yes."

Brittney made the call yesterday. Police say three men rang her doorbell, and when no one answered they let themselves in. The intruders smashed in the window, climbed inside and headed upstairs to see what they could find, all while Brittney was home.

"It's almost surreal. I can't even comprehend the feelings," Brittney told us today.

As the burglars got closer, she hid in an upstairs closet. At one point on the 911 recording, the burglars are heard arranging for a ride. "You get closer yet by chance? Because we'll be ready in like, maybe 10 minutes," one of them said.

John Fitisemanu was the operator on the other end of the 911 call. "It got pretty intense at times during the call," he told us.

One of the burglars, looking for stuff to steal, opened the closet where Brittney was hiding. "I was just standing right there. He pushed it open and was bumping into my legs, my boots," she said.

Fitisemanu is heard on the 911 tape telling Brittney, "I do have some officers in the backyard and on the corners of your house."

The burglars spotted police and scrambled. One jumped into the bedroom closet, inches from Brittney. "He was standing right there. I could have kissed his cheek if I'd stood on my tippy toes," she said.

She stayed still and silent until officers entered the bedroom. Then Brittney said, "He's in here!" Police ordered him out of the closet. "He looked at me with a completely dumbfounded expression, like, 'Where'd she come from?'" Brittney explained.

The three were taken into custody without further problems. Today Brittney met John, the man who kept her calm during those tense minutes.

"I felt OK. Being on the phone with someone helped," she said.

The suspects, Adam Cloward, Jake Hampton and Tony Cone, are in jail on charges of aggravated burglary, theft and criminal mischief. Police say they found two knives and brass knuckles on the suspects.

Brittney says she feels incredibly lucky. She chose not to give us her last name for this story.

Story:
    ksl.com - Resident beats burglars at hide-and-seek

2. Remove Ads

She is VERY lucky. If the BGs had been sharper, or the police slower, this would have been a murder, or possibly a rape/murder.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Luck is right. I don't think I can advocate the hide-in-the-closet self defense strategy.

This is a useful example to see 911 operator relaying info back and forth to responding officer and victim...
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Glad she's ok. I'd personally prefer to be hiding somewhere with my gun waiting for them.

Also......LOCK YOUR DOORS! If they just "let themselves in" I'm assuming the doors were not locked.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    21 year old,...? Sounds like its time for ol' Britney to get a CCW,next time she won't be as lucky.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nlax2011 View Post
    Also......LOCK YOUR DOORS! If they just "let themselves in" I'm assuming the doors were not locked.
    It says they broke a window and climbed in.

She is LUCKY. That could have turned out real bad.

Doors were locked... they broke a window!

Quote Originally Posted by PCMaven View Post
    (Utah)

"I felt OK. Being on the phone with someone helped," she said.

Resident beats burglars at hide-and-seek[/url]
    I would of felt a lot better with something to defend myself. Especially at that range.

I'd rather be actively good than passively lucky.

Hiding in closets with a phone in hand talking to 911 operators is ridiculous.
    This is like the fourth such story of same I've read in ~2 weeks.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by PCMaven View Post
    Doors were locked... they broke a window!
    Ah, didn't see that. Mind's getting a little hazy during my study breaks.

i would rather be hiding behind something w/a 12 gauge. i wonder why she didn't answer the door?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    A) I'm glad she's OK.

B) I wish she'd had a gun. She could have done more than surprised Mr. Bad when he decided to jump into the closet.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

scary situation to be in.glad everything turned out good and she got though
    unharmed.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

I'll bet she's thinking about more than a cordless phone for protedtion right about now......sheep or not.
    She was LUCKY and I am glad it turned out alright for her.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Links