Self-Defense Shooting in Ann Arbor

This is a discussion on Self-Defense Shooting in Ann Arbor within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Search ends in Ann Arbor shooting; 2 men charged Ann Arbor police have called off the search for a man they originally suspected in a ...

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

Search ends in Ann Arbor shooting; 2 men charged

Ann Arbor police have called off the search for a man they originally suspected in a fatal shooting.

Andrew Myrick, a 28-year-old University of Michigan student, was inside his house in the 1500 block of Jones Drive on Wednesday night when David Copeland, 29, of Ypsilanti and three other men broke in, Ann Arbor Deputy Police Chief Greg O'Dell said.

Two of the suspected intruders were arrested Thursday and charged with robbery. But on Thursday, the Washtenaw County prosecutor called Copeland's death "justifiable homicide," O'Dell said.

A third man, Michael Bailey, 20, of Ypsilanti is still wanted, O'Dell said.
    Not much meat in this story, but it appears that the resident shot and killed one of the intruders, 2 are in custody, and the 4th is on the loose. Makes me wonder about the first line in the story, did the police originally suspect someone else in the shooting?
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Yeah, not much info there, huh? At least it sound like the intended victim did alright, if I got the story right.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Ann Arbor is screwed up major

I live in Ann Arbor, know where the house is. For the rest of the board which does not know much about this here crazy town some facts to help.

1-Super liberal democrat ruled anti American town. One time I heard one of our local elected officials bragging to another that she wants this town to be a leader for California. The guy agreeded that it would be "cool".

2-Anti-American, if there is any issue to promote one or our enemies, the local democrats who rule this town love it. Example, at 9-11 when we were attacked some of the local Muslims danced at the high school, when this was not accepted by some conservatives (football kids clobbered them in the lunch room where the creeps were dancing) the local dummycrates were very upset that the Muslims were stopped from there freedom of speech.

3-Anti gun...this town hates guns. We had a gun store years ago and there would be weekly, I mean every month for a year there were protesters marching outside of the doors messing with patrons.

4-The Ann Arbor News is very liberal and extremely poor newspaper. They seldom get facts right, push anti male/anti gun/anti Christian agenda. There are quite a few things they choice to not report such as a little problem we have down town with a gang of black guys picking on white, oriental and middle eastern couples. When the News is called (I called and ask) why this is not reported the reply is that is not news worthy.

So..why tell you all this, this is why the paper will not print anything where a male protected himself and family plus used a firearm to make sure they were safe. This is against there pro feminist, anti Christian, pro Europe, pro china , pro green stance, anti heterosexual stances. (get the idea I dislike the rag?)

Now on the bright side, there are conservatives in this area, they tend to be law abiding, quiet and work behind the scenes. The Republican party has given up trying to run against the dummycrasts but the conservatives still work on committees , in schools and trying to do the right things to offset some of our crazy elected officials.

As crazy and liberal as this town is, when Michigan had the shall issue law passed the town did have two gun board meetings per month and was one of the quickest to issue concealed pistol permits in the state. As I said...this town is crazy.

My daughter is almost done with high school and if I can sell my house I am out of here.

Living 15 minutes away, I second everything Dave has said.

Northern MI guy who spent a career in SE MI, and put younger son through U of M says the analysis is spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post

Makes me wonder about the first line in the story, did the police originally suspect someone else in the shooting?
    I live in Ann Arbor as well and this story caught my attention. When I read the story in the Free Press, it seemed like they were casting suspicion on the duplex owner by saying the police wanted him for questioning and he was to be considered "armed and dangerous". Now It's a justifiable shooting.
    ‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’

— Abraham Lincoln

Senior Moderator
    As crazy and liberal as this town is, when Michigan had the shall issue law passed the town did have two gun board meetings per month and was one of the quickest to issue concealed pistol permits in the state.
    What is a "gun board"?
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

HG,

He's saying the town had two gun related 'board meetings' per month.

BTW this town Ann Arbor it sounds like a mirror of the town I'm in, and yes it does have a degree of unreasonable and irrational suck.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Gun Board

Here each town or area has a group of people that review application for the right to carry a pistol concealed. This board reviews the application and makes the decision if the person gets there CPL (concealed pistol license). The board normally has on it representatives from the local police unit, state police unit, sheriff unit, local prosecutor office and may also have someone assigned to head the board such as a political appointee.
    A short version of our process is you put in your application and all of the hoops..Class, fingerprints and applications filled out. Your fingerprints go to the FBI and State to check for problems. After all of this comes back the application goes in front of the board. A rep from the County Clerk hands an application out one at a time where each rep looks at it and says yes or no. If they say no it must have a written reason why it was rejected which the applicant can protest in a separate meeting. Anyways...each representative goes over the form, if there are no problems the board issues authorizes the applicant to get there CPL which the (in our town) county clerk office takes care of.
    This board also reviews if there are problems with CPL holders and may revoke someones CPL issue.

Probably looks pretty crazy to many other states who do not have as many hoops to jump through but a hell of a lot better than some.

+1 to all the comments saying ann arbor is crazy.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Update:

Shooting and robbery suspects remain at large
    Posted by Art Aisner | The Ann Arbor News January 22, 2008 15:55PM

"We have not determined whether this was a justifiable shooting, and it's still an open case."- Steve Hiller, deputy chief assistant prosecutor for Washtenaw County
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Ann Arbor Police investigate fatal shooting

By ART AISNER
    The Ann Arbor News

Despite reported sightings on the University of Michigan campus and in the Ann Arbor area, police still haven't found Andrew Robert Myrick nearly a week after a fatal shooting at his apartment on Ann Arbor's north side.

Myrick, 28, is wanted for questioning in the shooting death of David Copeland during an attempted robbery at his residence in the 1500 block of Jones Drive off Plymouth Road on Jan. 16. Police seized a computer that Myrick, a U-M engineering student, apparently used at a campus computer lab shortly after the shooting.

Courtesy, Ann Arbor Police
    Police are seeking Andrew Myrick for questioning in the shooting death of another man Jan. 16.
    Police said four men kicked in Myrick's apartment door and were armed with an assault rifle. David Copeland, 29, was shot multiple times and died at the scene.

By the following afternoon, police arrested Copeland's twin brother, Davin, and Derrek Howard, 22, for their alleged roles in the break-in. Both were arraigned Saturday on first-degree home invasion charges and remain jailed on $50,000 bond pending a preliminary hearing next week, court records show.

Ann Arbor Police on Tuesday offered a $500 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of a fourth man accused in the break-in. Michael Bailey, 20, is an Ypsilanti Township resident and is believed to be still be in the Ypsilanti area, police said.

Police have received several reports of people who thought they saw Myrick on and around campus, but none were confirmed. U-M officials issued another alert Monday informing the campus community that Myrick is still wanted by police.

Prosecutors charged him Friday with misdemeanor possession of marijuana based on what they found at the scene, but have not ruled on the legality of the shooting.

"We have not determined whether this was a justifiable shooting, and it's still an open case," said Steve Hiller, deputy chief assistant prosecutor for Washtenaw County. "We won't make a determination on that until the investigation is completed."

Hiller said Tuesday that any ruling may depend, in part, on what Myrick says. Hiller reiterated the importance of finding him.

"We'd like to have an opportunity to learn his side of the story," he said.

Myrick is described as white, 6 feet tall and 240 pounds, with long black hair and brown eyes. No vehicles are registered in his name and police don't know of any vehicle he's known to drive.

Bailey is described as a light-skinned black man with black hair and brown eyes and is 5 feet 11 inches tall.

Anyone with information is asked to call Detective Dave Monroe at 734-996-3281 or the tip line at 734-996-3199.
    ‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’

— Abraham Lincoln

When the story originally broke the gun used by Myrick was an AK-47.

i too will say ann arbor is crazy, im near flint (which is also crazy but for different reasons) but may be commuting closer to ann arbor for work soon

VIP Member
    Example, at 9-11 when we were attacked some of the local Muslims danced at the high school, when this was not accepted by some conservatives (football kids clobbered them in the lunch room where the creeps were dancing)
    +1 to the local football kids.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Links