LEO needs practice

This is a discussion on LEO needs practice within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; SYRACUSE, N.Y. (AP) - A Syracuse police officer has shot and wounded a knife-wielding attacker. Syracuse Police Chief Gary Miguel says 25-year-old Michael Allen of ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LEO needs practice

LEO needs practice

SYRACUSE, N.Y. (AP) - A Syracuse police officer has shot and wounded a knife-wielding attacker.

Syracuse Police Chief Gary Miguel says 25-year-old Michael Allen of Syracuse will face several charges, including resisting arrest and menacing an officer. He was hit once in the upper right arm and is recovering at University Hospital.

Miguel says Allen went to an apartment building around 2:15 a.m., looking for a woman. He says Allen threatened residents with a knife and then charged a police officer sent to the scene. The officer fired five shots at Allen.

Miguel did not identify the officer, who is on administrative leave, which is standard when an officer is involved in a shooting.

The chief says the officer followed proper procedure.
    Thank God he got his man at least once.
    "The right of self-defense is the first law of nature..."

No Apology

2. Remove Ads

Things to do list while on administrative leave.

shooting at paper targets is much different then being attacked. Closest we can come to it is simunitions training and such. Even then until the SHTF...you don't know how your going to do. But yes, many cops do the min required. and for most thats enough since they never have to use their weapon.

yea, this is one of those instances where i would say be careful to judge. you dont know. but then again i agree with you that most officers need a lot more training
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

I think you're being too hard on the guy. Moving targets are a whole different ball game, especially human beings as they can twist, dive, lean, rotate at the waist, etc.

See if you can get into a video based training simulator and score better than 20% your first session.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

I think we ALL need more training!

I am glad the officer is not hurt. I would like to rush to judge, but as others have said, training and real life are much different.
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

I wasn't there...he hit him once...he ended the threat...the BG's in jail.

I found shooting in dim light and at moving targets (especially moving side to side) can be a real challenge...try it!

Stay armed...don't judge others...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Also, keep in mind that because of the rising cost of ammo, many departments are doing just the "bare bones" requirements for their officers and calling it good.
    Be a leader in your community and start a local drive to gather money for your local officers to obtain ammo with.
    Also, keep in mind that the Supreme Court has ruled numerous times that the police are not there for your protection so that burden rests solely on YOUR shoulders.
    When you buy your ammo, buy a couple of extra boxes of the proper caliber and take them to your police department as a donation.
    "It does not take a majority to prevail,,,,,,but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by abuttermilk View Post
    ......Be a leader in your community and start a local drive to gather money for your local officers to obtain ammo with...........
    You're kidding, I hope. My property taxes are sky high and going nowhere but up. The local police and fire have a decent pay grade and FABULOUS benefits and retirement packages. I truly don't think I owe them any more than I am already paying, which is a LOT.

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    You're kidding, I hope. My property taxes are sky high and going nowhere but up. The local police and fire have a decent pay grade and FABULOUS benefits and retirement packages. I truly don't think I owe them any more than I am already paying, which is a LOT.

-
    Especially with the SCOTUS decision that the police are not there for your protection.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

I was a rangemaster. As a general rule, cops were the worst marksmen in the world. They'd show up for their bi-annual qualification with the same rounds they loaded six months ago, and the pistol hadn't been out of the holster. Seems like every week we hear of a police shooting where 40 rounds went into some neighborhood with not one hitting the BG. Police administrators are anti-gun, and do not supply their troops with near enough training.

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Seems like every week we hear of a police shooting where 40 rounds went into some neighborhood with not one hitting the BG.
    So what are the stats on non-LE shootings? I'm not hearing much about CCW 1-stop shot shootings, are you? Not trying to be a smart-ass, but you hear about the police shootings because they occur far more than CCW shootings.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post

-

Sorry, but I have to comment on this. I recently found out that MY property tax dollars only pay my local Sheriff's office about $7.00 per month! Yes that says seven dollars per month.

Doesn't seem like I pay them enough. I dare you to go find out how much of your tax dollars go into their budgets.
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

Quote Originally Posted by XD in SC View Post
    .............I dare you to go find out how much of your tax dollars go into their budgets.
    The actual numbers (pay & benefits for police, fire & teachers) are published in the local papers regularly, as the media tries to explain why our tax burden is so high.

In my area, police and fire are definitely NOT underpaid.
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links