Another Elderly Store Owner in Buffalo Defends Himself With A Weapon

This is a discussion on Another Elderly Store Owner in Buffalo Defends Himself With A Weapon within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Some of you may remember the thread I posted a few days back about the elderly pizza shop owner in Buffalo who scared away some ...

Thread: Another Elderly Store Owner in Buffalo Defends Himself With A Weapon

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

Some of you may remember the thread I posted a few days back about the elderly pizza shop owner in Buffalo who scared away some would-be robbers with a warning shot through the plexiglass.

Here is another septuagenarian defending himself with a handgun:

The Buffalo News: Buffalo/Erie County: Store owner shoots would-be robber

A 73-year-old West Side store owner foiled a robbery Wednesday evening when he pulled out a 9 mm handgun and shot the wouldbe bandit.

It was the second time in three days an elderly city store owner fired a gun during a robbery attempt. The 78-year-old owner of Bocce Club Pizzeria on Clinton Street chased away two would-be robbers Monday night with a warning shot.

Police said Wednesday’s incident occurred when Shaun M. Ford, 30, of Linwood Avenue, North Tonawanda, targeted the West Side Market at 255 Carolina St. just before 7 p.m. and demanded money from owner Ali Abdulla. Ford was wearing a protective mask used in paint-ball and was armed with a rifle, according to Central District Lt. David S. Stabler, head of the investigation.

Ford followed Abdulla behind the counter, continuing to demand money and pointing the rifle at him, police said. Abdulla then pulled out his licensed handgun and fired as many as two shots at Ford, striking him once in the leg, police said.

Ford fled the store, dropping the rifle and his mask and fell to the sidewalk just outside the store’s front door, where he cried for help, police said.

He was taken to Erie County Medical Center for treatment and is expected to survive, police said. Criminal charges against him were being processed late Wednesday, according to Michael J. De- George, Buffalo police spokesman.

The son of the store owner, Ahmed Abdulla, said his father runs the store from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. seven days a week.

“The person came in and pointed the gun at him and my father shot him,” he said. “I’m proud of him.”

Police said it is unlikely the father, who was not injured, will face charges in the incident.

“It’s not that we encourage vigilantism, but he appeared to have acted in self-defense,” DeGeorge said. “Sometimes it’s just reactionary. People react very differently in different situations.”

As for the Bocce Club pizzeria, it was the second time in less than two weeks that the business was robbed. The owner there was confronted about 7 p.m. Jan. 2 by two men, one with a pistol, who demanded money. Both bandits fled with cash.

Monday, two men entered the shop and one pointed a handgun at the owner but that time the owner pulled out his own gun and fired a single shot, scaring off the bandits.

Good for him.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    "It's not that we encourage vigilantism..."

Yeah, but you sure don't mind equating self-defense with it.

Someone threatens directly to kill you, and stopping that makes you a vigilante? People that think that way are seriously stupid.
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom Doc View Post

Well said Doc, very well said.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

"“It’s not that we encourage vigilantism, but he appeared to have acted in self-defense,” DeGeorge said. “Sometimes it’s just reactionary. People react very differently in different situations.”"

What a gutless statement. Just what about what I would expect a cop in a city of NY state to say.

"where he cried for help." That tickles the heck out of me!! He was expecting a disarmed victim and got the opposite.

Another robbery gone good!!
    "It does not take a majority to prevail,,,,,,but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." Samuel Adams

Senior Member Array mech1369dlw's Avatar
    Ford fled the store, dropping the rifle and his mask and fell to the sidewalk just outside the store's front door, where he cried for help, police said.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!
    Poor baby, did he get shot instead of getting money. Hammerhead should have stayed on Linwood Ave. instead of trying to take something that didn't belong to him.
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom Doc View Post

Someone threatens directly to kill you, and stopping that makes you a vigilante? People that think that way are seriously stupid.
    yes, i caught that right off. mr. degeorge needs really didn't report this very well at all.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.”
    ― Thomas Paine

Dirt bag got what he deserved.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by stormbringerr View Post
    yes, i caught that right off. mr. degeorge needs really didn't report this very well at all.
    Looks like Michael J. De- George is the police or spokesperson.
    Not really as bad as looks at first glance
    Quote Originally Posted by DeGeorge
    “It’s not that we encourage vigilantism, but he appeared to have acted in self-defense,” DeGeorge said. “Sometimes it’s just reactionary. People react very differently in different situations.”
    Same as saying "We don't encourage vigilantism. This was a clear case of self defense. People react very differently in different situations some folks po their depends others stand up and kick butt.
    Way to go Ali Abdulla 73 years old and still capping BG's
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by mech1369dlw View Post
    Ford fled the store, dropping the rifle and his mask and fell to the sidewalk just outside the store's front door, where he cried for help, police said.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!
    Poor baby, did he get shot instead of getting money. Hammerhead should have stayed on Linwood Ave. instead of trying to take something that didn't belong to him.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Sponsored Links