Woman Shoots And Kills Intruder Who Was Hiding Under Her Bed

This is a discussion on Woman Shoots And Kills Intruder Who Was Hiding Under Her Bed within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Laurens Co. Woman Shoots And Kills Home Invader - News - News Channel 7, Upstate South Carolina An Upstate woman shoots and kills a man ...

Thread: Woman Shoots And Kills Intruder Who Was Hiding Under Her Bed

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

Laurens Co. Woman Shoots And Kills Home Invader - News - News Channel 7, Upstate South Carolina

An Upstate woman shoots and kills a man deputies say broke into her home.

The coroner's office tells us the man who died was 23 year old Richard Bennette Vanderford, who lived with his grandparents, next door to the victim on Pineland Shores Circle in the Cross Hill community of Laurens County.

Sheriff Ricky Chastain tells us investigators believe Vanderford went into the woman's home through the back door. The woman had been home about 30 minutes when she heard a noise coming from the bedroom. Deputies say she looked and saw a hand under the bed. She got a pistol and shot at Vanderford three times as he started to come out from under the bed.

She called 911. After the shooting, deputies say the woman realized she knew the intruder. The say he was not related to her.

The woman's identity has not been released. The Laurens County Sheriff's Office is still investigating. Sheriff Chastain will hand over all the information and evidence to 8th Circuit Solicitor Jerry Peace, who will decide whether or not to file charges in the case.
    Good for her, and I hope no charges are brought.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

thats great, good for her.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

At least she has her priorities straight...shoot first, then call 911.
    It is not the Bill of Privileges. It is not the Bill of Permits. It is the Bill of Rights.

People should not be afraid of the government; the government should be afraid of the people.

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    I dont like this story. There are so many facts that have not been disclosed. I agree that the woman was not in the wrong but I would be reluctant to immediately applaud her effort. First, the man was not an immediate threat, The article stated that he was trying to get out from under the bed. I don't know about you but it seems difficult to me to be offensive when trying to squiggle out from under a bed.

The article makes no mentioned whether he was armed. The article makes no mention whether he had broken in or came in through an open/unlocked back door. He turned out to be a neighbor, living with his grandparents.

Maybe he was retarded and had a crush on her. Maybe they were friends/lovers and he was playing a prank. Maybe he was going to rape and kill her.

This might very well be a very sad story. One thing is almost certain. We will never know.

One thing is definitely certain: Identify your target

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by citizen510 View Post
    At least she has her priorities straight...shoot first, then call 911.
    I personally would of not gone this route...and I agree with SD...hard to attack when under a bed

Doubt she is going to live there anymore...

Rick

TyC
    I really dont understand some of the comments on here. It doesn't matter that it might be hard to attack someone while climbing out from under a bed, am I supposed to wait for them to get out from under the bed and face me and possibly draw a weapon before I can engage? What matters is that someone is hiding in my house. Doesnt matter how they got in. They are in my house without permisson then they are going to be leaving my house on a stretcher.

I would have ID'd the person first through with my flashlight and voice commands from cover though.
    "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

When someone has invaded the sanctity of my home, it's shoot first and ask questions later.
    As far as I'm concerned, it's another robbery gone good!
    Let the voter and jury pools know that this kind of activity is not acceptable and will not be tolerated.
    It's pretty obvious, from the way things have gone downhill in this country, in the last 100 years, that we need to go back to people respecting one another and our property and this is the only way of getting things changed. The courts will cut them loose and they will come back and get you for pressing charges, so press firmly on the trigger and let's stop this crap!
    "It does not take a majority to prevail,,,,,,but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." Samuel Adams

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TyC View Post
    I really dont understand some of the comments on here. It doesn't matter that it might be hard to attack someone while climbing out from under a bed, am I supposed to wait for them to get out from under the bed and face me and possibly draw a weapon before I can engage?
    Remember: If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Under my bed? sorry charlie, if you were dumb enough to hide under there instead of fleeing when you heard me make entry it proves beyond a doubt to me you had rather nasty motives, HANDS OUT, I said SHOW ME YOUR HANDS, BANG BANG, SHOW ME YOUR HANDS, BANG BANG, (now where is that bat i keep around the house? oh yeah its right next to the perp, under the bed, or it will be before I call 911) I NEVER SAID THAT, but seriously if the perp is under your bed you have to ask yourself why is he hiding there when he could have gone out the window? His life isnt important to him, why should it be to you? But more importantly is this, DO YOU THINK YOUR SAFETY IS IMPORTANT TO HIM?

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    South Carolina Law Enforcement Division

The stated intent of the legislation is to codify the common law castle doctrine, which recognizes that a person’s home is his castle, and to extend the doctrine to include an occupied vehicle and the person’s place of business. This bill authorizes the lawful use of deadly force under certain circumstances against an intruder or attacker in a person’s dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle. The bill provides that there is no duty to retreat if (1) the person is in a place where he has a right to be, including the person’s place of business, (2) the person is not engaged in an unlawful activity, and (3) the use of deadly force is necessary to prevent death, great bodily injury, or the commission of a violent crime. A person who lawfully uses deadly force is immune from criminal prosecution and civil action, unless the person against whom deadly force was used is a law enforcement officer acting in the performance of his official duties and he identifies himself in accordance with applicable law or the person using deadly force knows or reasonably should have known the person is a law enforcement officer.

H.4301 (R412) was signed by the Governor on June 9, 2006.
    Ability to cause death, great bodily injury, or the commission of a violent crime? I certainly think so. From my armchair perspective, looks like a good shoot to me. (Although I agree that I don't think we have a complete story yet. There is probably more at work here...)

Last edited by nutz4utwo; January 22nd, 2008 at 11:38 AM. Reason: formatting
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

If someone breaks into my house and hides under my bed, I am going to assume that they intend to attack me when they get the chance, therefore I am going to defend myself, whether I shoot them, slash them with a sword or hit them with a bat would depend on what was at hand at the time. I definatly would not give them time to get out and attack me.

Sponsored Links