Self Defense Shooting In Golden, OK

This is a discussion on Self Defense Shooting In Golden, OK within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; KXII - HomePage Local News, Weather, Sports, Severe Weather, and Breaking News Coverage for Sherman TX, Denison TX, Ardmore OK, Durant OK, Ada OK McCURTAIN ...

Thread: Self Defense Shooting In Golden, OK

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

KXII - HomePage Local News, Weather, Sports, Severe Weather, and Breaking News Coverage for Sherman TX, Denison TX, Ardmore OK, Durant OK, Ada OK

McCURTAIN COUNTY, Okla. -- Officers say a fatal shooting in McCurtain County Tuesday morning may have been done in self defense.

The victim, Teddy Jacob, 39, is dead after he was shot four to five times.

Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation officials say it happened in Golden, Oklahoma, between Broken Bow and Idabel.

The victim was shot at the suspectís home, who was the victim's brother-in-law.

The suspect's name is not being released because he has not been charged.

Police officials say it appears the shooting was in self-defense.
    This story isn't long on facts, but one GLARING fact jumped out at me. The reporter got the facts wrong, the suspect is dead, shot by the victim. Clearly if the police feel the shooting was self-defense, the dead guy was the likely agressor and therefore the SUSPECT. If I lived in the area I would write a letter to the editor explaining exactly who the victim and suspect were in this situation.

Hopefully the brother-in-law (suspect) that the victim had to shoot wasn't the victim's wife's brother. Might makes things tough on the marriage. Although, I don't think it is ever a good situation when one has to take the life of a family member or relative.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Found one other little blurb on that shooting. It has the same info as the link here. McCurtain county is a pretty serious place.

BTW: In OK the prosecutor is not required to take the case to a grand jury. Here in Comanche county; our prosecutor recently refused to take two justified shooting cases, one fatal, to the grand jury.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
    Hopefully the brother-in-law (suspect) that the victim had to shoot wasn't the victim's wife's brother. Might makes things tough on the marriage. Although, I don't think it is ever a good situation when one has to take the life of a family member or relative.
    If he was the brother in law of the shooter what else could it be? It has to be the wife's brother.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    If he was the brother in law of the shooter what else could it be? It has to be the wife's brother.
    No, it could be the husband of the shooter's sister...

VIP Member
    Yeah your right, but my money is still on the wife's brother. Too bad it wasn't a mother in law. I think I'd like to see more mother in law self defense shooting stories.

There is a statement on the link by a guy who claims to be a relative of the guy who was shot.

"Posted by: anonymous ok, he was shot 4 to 5 times, not to mention had about 14 cuts/abrasions that wasn't mentioned in the report. yes, i do know for a fact because i am related to him. what i don't and can not understand is why it took so many gunshots and so many stabs/cuts to stop him if he is truly claiming self-defense.This is ridiculous...self-defense i don't agree with, more like MURDER and RAGE. I hope charges are filed and he is prosecuted and that this horrendous crime is not just let go and filed away as "self-defense." It is called MURDER."

"Posted by: Anonymous did it actually take 4 to 5 shots to get him to back off? i think one should have held him off till the police got there???"

"Posted by: Anonymous I would also have to ask...Would the "Victim" not be the one that was attacked and the "suspect" be the one that initiated the attack? If there are no charges because of self defence...wouldn't Teddy be the "suspect" and the unnamed man be the "victim"?"

Things sometimes get very complicated in SE Oklahoma. Go to this link for news about the masturbating judge and other lurid stories from the region. Read about the boy whose relative put hog rings in his penis to keep the kid from masturbating.

Yeah, I know it ain't about self defense but this stuff will regale you and maybe make you puke.

Bubbaworld - Ten Years Of Telling It Like It Is In Oklahoma

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    The call it "Little Dixie", and it's a world unto itself.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Having lived in OK for seven years, and now NE TX, I tell ya'll, this crap is not made up! Deliverance in "real time"..........

Links