'I'm not the murderer they make me out to be'

This is a discussion on 'I'm not the murderer they make me out to be' within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; If you click on the links and look to the bottom, you'll see many responders agree that that this was a good shoot. 'I'm not ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 'I'm not the murderer they make me out to be'

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

If you click on the links and look to the bottom, you'll see many responders agree that that this was a good shoot.

'I'm not the murderer they make me out to be' | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

By John Hopkins
    The Virginian-Pilot
    © January 25, 2008
    CHESAPEAKE

Ryan Frederick said Thursday he’s not the “drug lord” some people might make him out to be, but a scared, 100-pound man who thought someone was breaking into his home.

The 28-year-old spoke from the city jail, where he is being held without bail on charges of first-degree murder and use of a firearm in the shooting of Chesapeake Detective Jarrod Shivers. The officer was shot around 8:40 p.m. Jan. 17 while executing a drug search warrant at Frederick’s home at 932 Redstart Ave. in the Portlock section.

During a jailhouse interview, Frederick said he was sleeping in a back bedroom because his job as a soft drink merchandiser required him to get up early. His dogs, Dora and Bud, were in the house. He woke up because his dogs “were barking like crazy. They’re going like really crazy, so I grab my gun. As I’m walking through the hall, someone comes busting through my door.”

He said intruders were pushing through the bottom panels of the four-panel door, he said. The lighting in the house was dim. Frederick said he didn’t hear anyone say “police” or see identification.

“I was like, 'Oh, God, if I don’t shoot, then he’s going to kill me’ … I think I shot twice. I can’t remember. It happened so fast. All I know is the gun jammed.”

Frederick said he then went back to the bedroom to get a telephone. When he realized police were outside, he walked out of the house and surrendered.

In tears at times, Frederick said he doesn’t grow or sell marijuana. He had a smoking bong and a small bag of marijuana, he said.

Police spokeswoman Christina Golden has said police were wearing badges and helmets marked with the word “POLICE,” and they announced their presence at the door. An unspecified amount of marijuana was found at the house. Frederick has not been charged with any drug offenses.

A confidential informant told police that Frederick was growing marijuana in a garage behind the home, according to a search warrant. Police seized marijuana, lights, five tub containers, a smoking device, a fan, books and magazines and a pay stub during the search.

Frederick said if police found drugs, it was a small amount of marijuana he had for personal use.

“They made a mistake,’’ he said. “It’s a damn shame, too, because someone had to lose their life over it and I’m in jail about to lose my life over it.”

On Jan. 14, three days before the police shooting, Frederick said, someone kicked in a rear portion of the fence around his home and broke into his garage.

“They ransacked my place like they were looking for something. But they didn’t take anything,” he said.

His fear grew, he said, as he thought about a recent, nearby crime – Ny-Asia Tillmon, 1, who was shot and killed in November in South Norfolk.

Hours before the encounter with police, Frederick said he purchased three dead-bolt locks for his garage and home. He said he was worried he would be victimized again.

Now, he’s afraid. His mother died several years ago, and he has only an aunt and uncle in the area.

“I pray every day,” he said. “That’s all I got right now. I keep thinking that my mom’s looking down at me. I hope she knows I’m not the murderer they make me out to be.”

His aunt, Sheryl Morales of South Norfolk, said her family is doing all they can to support Frederick, while keeping the officer’s wife and family in their prayers.

“I’m just so sorry for her loss and her kids’ loss,” Morales said. “We all offer our condolences. We’ve all prayed for them.”

Shivers was an eight-year police veteran with a wife and three children. The 34-year-old served in the Navy before joining the Police Department.

“There’s nothing but sorrow I feel for that family,” Frederick said. “There are no words that I could say that will take back that night.”

Frederick retained James Broccoletti as his attorney on Thursday and will be arraigned Wednesday .

As for the lights the police found, Frederick said he was growing a banana tree as a hobby and was learning how to grow Japanese maple trees. He said he designed his backyard’s landscape and grew other plants.

Frederick said he has worked since he was 12, starting as a paperboy. As a merchandiser for a soda company, he must wake up at 4 a.m. to be at stores by 5.

“He’s not a killer,” said Frederick’s aunt, Sheryl Morales. “He knew someone was in his house and he shot.”

John Hopkins, (757) 222-5221, john.hopkins@pilotonline.com

Aunt says Frederick was protecting himself when officer was shot | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

Aunt says Frederick was protecting himself when officer was shot

By John Hopkins
    The Virginian-Pilot
    © January 24, 2008
    CHESAPEAKE

Ryan Frederick, the Chesapeake resident accused of killing a police officer, is a hard-working man who believed he was protecting himself the night the officer came to his door and tried to serve a search warrant, Frederick’s aunt said today.

“He’s not a killer,” said Sheryl Morales of Chesapeake. “He knew someone was in his house and he shot.’’

Frederick, 28, is being held in jail without bond for the shooting of police detective Jarrod Shivers.

Shivers, an eight-year veteran of the force and father of three, was shot Jan. 17 while executing the search warrant at 932 Redstart Ave. in the Portlock section of Chesapeake. Police have said Shivers was trying to enter the home when shots were fired from inside and hit him.

Morales said the tragedy could have been avoided.

“What would you do in that situation? If they had've knocked on the door and got a response, he would have let them in,’’ she said, crying during an interview with The Virginian-Pilot this morning at her home in her South Norfolk neighborhood.

Frederick faces charges of first-degree murder and use of a firearm in the commission of a felony. His arraignment is scheduled for Jan. 30 in Chesapeake General District Court.

The medical examiner’s office said Shivers died from a single gunshot wound to his arm and chest. He was wearing body armor and a badge when he executed the search warrant, police said. Police also wore helmets marked “POLICE’’ when they came to the house.

Morales said she wanted to attend a candlelight vigil Sunday in honor of the officer but worried that it would create more problems. Today she offered the family’s condolences to Shivers’ wife and family.

“I’m just so sorry for her loss and her kids’ loss,” she said. “We all offer our condolences. We’ve all prayed for them.’’

Morales said Frederick purchased a gun as protection for his home and he practiced at firing ranges to learn how to use it. A couple of days before the shooting, someone attempted to break into the house, she said.

At about 120 pounds, Frederick would have been no match for an intruder, she said. “Ryan never hurt anyone in his life,’’ she said. “He had nothing more than a speeding ticket on his record.”

She said if police found marijuana in the house, it would have been only a small amount for personal use. According to a search warrant, police found an unspecified amount of marijuana, smoking devices and other paraphernalia in Frederick’s home.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Assuming all this is accurate... he's still screwed. His word against theirs.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    I hate to play devil's advocate here, but I would tend to think that if you've got the presence of mind to own a firearm for self defense, wouldn't you think that having pot in your home, or using illegal drugs at all, would be a BAD FREAKIN' IDEA?

He's out there saying how he had a small amt of pot, but growing it in your garage is certainly in the process or producing more. Hard for me to feel like the warrent was unjustified. Feel bad for the cop's family.

I'm sure there's more to this story that we don't know. For one there is no police account of what happend in the article. Secondly, if someone is in the act of breaking into your home as it appears to have been the case, I wouldn't think you're life is in imminent danger, yet. So the shooting may have been a few seconds premature to be considered self-defense.

That being said I hope I'm never put in that situation. Its much easier to analyze from my computer than from the POV of someone who's house being "broken into" and seconds count.
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Bad, bad, tragic deal.

The dude is probably screwed, and maybe he should be. He needs a good lawyer if he's going to beat a murder rap.

OTOH, I don't doubt that he wouldn't have shot if he KNEW it was the police. Only a raving idiot with some sort of death wish would knowingly initiate a firefight with the police.

OTOH, jeez, the officer was just doing his job, and now he's dead. The police do NOT make a habit of busting down doors and forgetting to say that they are the police.

It's conceivable that they might fudge sometimes on how long they wait between announcing their presence and busting down the door, but I cannot imagine they would ever fail to pretty cleary state it was them, and not your run-of-the-mill home invading druggie thuggie ganger banger. (brings another issue up- how would one KNOW it was the police; BG's might say they are the police in order to confuse you or get your defenses down).

On balance, based on what we know (which, at this point, is admittedly very little- - certainly not enough to make a really informed assessment), I'd say the dude has already gotten all the breaks he's likely to get: he shot a police officer during a drug raid and lived to tell the tale. He's already won the lottery.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Quote Originally Posted by Chooie View Post
    I hate to play devil's advocate here, but I would tend to think that if you've got the presence of mind to own a firearm for self defense, wouldn't you think that having pot in your home, or using illegal drugs at all, would be a BAD FREAKIN' IDEA?
    Don't get me wrong, I'm no pothead or advocate of it, but...

I think it's insane that the US government spends time and money going after potheads.
    Study after study has shown that pot does NOT kill brain cells, does NOT cause cancer, is LESS harmful to the body than either tobacco or alcohol. Humans have been growing it for hemp, fiber, and for smoking for over 3,000 years and even some of the founding fathers of America grew marijuana.
    The fact that we actively pursue these "drug users" (and I think alcohol is more of a "drug problem") and throw them in jail at taxpayer's expense is just stupid. That money could be better spent a million other places; schools, the border, etc....

Last year, close to 150,000 people died in America from drunk driving, alcohol poisoning, and drinking-related illnesses (such as liver failure). Not a single person died from marijuana overdose, and there wasn't a single "stoned-driving" death on the books either.

I feel bad for this guy. He was stupid, yes, but he didn't deserve what he has coming to him now, and the officers that got shot sure as heck didn't deserve it either. Loose-loose situation.

I wonder exactly how well the officers announced themselves. If they really were yelling "POLICE!!!", etc...., that's a different story.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

AMH
    This is ridicules. They need to end the war on drugs and stop modern day prohibition. It is an avenue to restrict civil freedoms, and works about as well as gun control works. The quickest way to lose control over something is to make it illegal.

Just because you smoke pot doesn’t mean that you no longer have a right to self defense.
    Join the NRA!
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with hunting. It is about keeping the government in check. This requires that the citizenry is well armed and at all times has immediate access to arms.

Quote Originally Posted by AMH View Post
    This is ridicules. They need to end the war on drugs and stop modern day prohibition. It is an avenue to restrict civil freedoms, and works about as well as gun control works. The quickest way to lose control over something is to make it illegal.

Just because you smoke pot doesn’t mean that you no longer have a right to self defense.
    I'm surprised to find someone that agrees with me on such a conservative forum.

I agree 100%, especially about the "it works about as well as gun control" part.

Think about how much money the federal government would MAKE, not just SAVE, if they legalized marijuana and let the tobacco companies grow and package it just like cigarettes.
    It would be much easier to restrict the sales of it to minors, and they'd put all the drug dealers out of business overnight - they wouldn't be able to sell it anywhere near as cheap as Marlbro could.

And yes, I really do think it would help to keep it out of kids hands. Before I was 21, it would have been much easier for me to score pot than booze, and I think the same is true for most teens these days.

With the money the government made, they could take all the druggies out of jail and put them in rehab and still have enough money left over to build a border fence I bet.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.

PS - yay, 200th post! :)
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Zaria View Post
    I'm surprised to find someone that agrees with me on such a conservative forum.

I agree 100%, especially about the "it works about as well as gun control" part.

Think about how much money the federal government would MAKE, not just SAVE, if they legalized marijuana and let the tobacco companies grow and package it just like cigarettes.
    It would be much easier to restrict the sales of it to minors, and they'd put all the drug dealers out of business overnight - they wouldn't be able to sell it anywhere near as cheap as Marlbro could.

And yes, I really do think it would help to keep it out of kids hands. Before I was 21, it would have been much easier for me to score pot than booze, and I think the same is true for most teens these days.

With the money the government made, they could take all the druggies out of jail and put them in rehab and still have enough money left over to build a border fence I bet.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.

PS - yay, 200th post! :)

Oh, I agree with you - legalize it all but regulate the sale and distribution, and let Darwin sort 'em out. If people want to ruin their lives, let them - but don't make me pay for their rehab, incarceration, or funeral. I guess that's just the heartless libertarian in me speaking out.

VIP Member
    Even IF this guy was growing pot, the tactics used were POOR!

If his side of the story is true, the tactics used are STILL POOR!

Sloppy work......
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

I have been watching this one closely as this is in my neck of the woods.

My biggest question is why the police will not specifiy how much pot was found. I just cant help but think that if a marijuana factory was found like was suspected in the first place, it would be reported as such.

Something just doesnt add up. Either way, this guy is so screwed. If it was a bad search, I suspect it will never come out in the wash.

1. Legalize it
    * For the record I personally am not a fan of using weed or drugs in general.

2. He's screwed.
    * Even if the po-po did announce and he likely did not hear as much considering he was asleep and/or the dogs barking drowned out the officers statement of such. Regardless he reacted reasonably and still he's screwed. :(

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Let me see here, a "no knock warrant" for a guy growing some pot?! There has got to be a better way? If someone told the police that I was growing some pot (which I don't or use), they may bust down my door just on the word of an "Informant"? This is crazy! I know there is a time and place for such measures, but this takes the cake!
    For a little pot, the police are going to stand at a door, yell "POLICE!", then kick down the door, enter the house ready to shoot anyone that might look like a threat because they might get shot, and expect the home owner not to respond?
    Talk about a "police state"!!!
    They NEED to do a little more investigation then just taking the word of a scumbag the is most likely a drug user himself!
    Rant off!
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Bunny View Post
    Let me see here, a "no knock warrant" for a guy growing some pot?! There has got to be a better way? If someone told the police that I was growing some pot (which I don't or use), they may bust down my door just on the word of an "Informant"? This is crazy! I know there is a time and place for such measures, but this takes the cake!
    For a little pot, the police are going to stand at a door, yell "POLICE!", then kick down the door, enter the house ready to shoot anyone that might look like a threat because they might get shot, and expect the home owner not to respond?
    Talk about a "police state"!!!
    They NEED to do a little more investigation then just taking the word of a scumbag the is most likely a drug user himself!
    Rant off!
    I agree, that's absurd. But you're taking the supposed victim's word for it. We don't know how it actually happened. If his story is true, I agree with you 100%. But I don't believe even half of what I read.

I'd love to see the official incident report on this. Any way we can get a copy?

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    - Margaret Mead

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links