Deputy Constable Critically Wounded, Suspect Killed In Shootout

Deputy Constable Critically Wounded, Suspect Killed In Shootout

This is a discussion on Deputy Constable Critically Wounded, Suspect Killed In Shootout within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Deputy Constable Critically Wounded, Suspect Killed In Shootout - Houston News Story - KPRC Houston HOUSTON -- A suspect was killed after he got a ...

Thread: Deputy Constable Critically Wounded, Suspect Killed In Shootout

Angry Deputy Constable Critically Wounded, Suspect Killed In Shootout

Deputy Constable Critically Wounded, Suspect Killed In Shootout - Houston News Story - KPRC Houston

HOUSTON -- A suspect was killed after he got a hold of a deputy constable's gun while handcuffed and shot him multiple times, officials told KPRC Local.

Residents at the Chancellor Apartments on Parramatta Lane near Trevor Way in north Harris County said they heard the terrifying sound of more than a dozen gunshots at about 3 p.m. Saturday.

"The shots rang out -- I heard about 15 or 16 and then it stopped, and then it started right back up again," resident Tamika Johnson said.

As a result of all the shots, a suspect was killed and a Harris County Precinct 6 deputy constable was critically wounded.

Investigators said Cpl. Harry Thielepape was working an extra job at the apartment complex.

Thielepape stopped Jesus Reyna on suspicion of a traffic violation, officials said.

Constable Victor Trevino said Reyna had been arrested, handcuffed and placed in an unmarked squad car equipped with a "cage."

"We assume that the deputy saw the suspect possibly pull his hands in front," Trevino said. "Possibly the deputy may have gone back to secure him."

Trevino said there may have been a scuffle just before Reyna and Thielepape exchanged fire.

Investigators said Reyna got a hold of one of Thielepape's guns and shot him three times in the chest, once in the leg and once in the groin.

Reyna was also shot and died at the scene, detectives said. Drugs and a gun were found inside Reyna's vehicle, investigators said. There were two class-C warrants out for his arrest, officials said.

"I'm just so glad I didn't have my children out here playing like they normally play out here the time that happened," Johnson said.

Thielepape was not in uniform, but he was wearing a bulletproof vest and had his badge displayed on his chest, investigators said.

Officials said they hope Thielepape will pull through.

"It's been tough on us," Trevino said. "Right now we're just here to pray and wish for his quick recovery."

Thielepape has been featured on KPRC Local 2's "Wheel of Justice" several times.

The Precinct 6 Constable's Office has lost two deputies since 2005.

Deputy Constable Nehemiah Pickens, 33, was killed when he was mistakenly shot by a fellow officer in 2005.

Carltrell Odom, a 22-year-old reserve deputy, was killed in a robbery outside his apartment in November.

Good example of how handcuffs aren't pixie dust that makes BG's go as limp as a boned fish. Until secured, anyone can escalate to the point of being a deadly threat.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Dealing with 'dirtbags' is no easy matter. What we talk about doing, and the real world events can be miles apart. I hope I never have to make the decision to use deadly force...it's a tough one...when and if I do, I hope my muscle memory serves me well.

Hope the deputy fully recovers...hope the BG enjoys the 'well-earned' dirt nap.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Moderator
    Until secured, anyone can escalate to the point of being a deadly threat

Constable Victor Trevino said Reyna had been arrested, handcuffed and placed in an unmarked squad car equipped with a "cage."

"We assume that the deputy saw the suspect possibly pull his hands in front," Trevino said. "Possibly the deputy may have gone back to secure him."

Even when "secured" they can be a deadly threat.
    One of the main reasons that you always cuff someones hand behind their back when at all possible.

Sounds to me like he stepped over and got his hands in front and grabbed the gun...while he was still cuffed.

A cuffed suspect with a gun can shoot you dead.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Another reason to used hinged cuffs instead of chained ones. They're more of a pain to put on, but MUCH more difficult to get out of, especially with small, skinny BG's.

Senior Moderator
    AZ...hinged are fine, but the last few people I put cuffs on were so big that we couldn't used hinged. In fact, Ive had to used two sets of cuffs on several occasions.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

True, I've done the same thing. But you don't have to worry about those big suckers working their cuffed hands under their butt and around to the front!

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

If chained handcuffs are used, why don't you just thread the chain under/behind the belt (in back) so that the arms can't be brought around to the front?
    Yes, I know, some people aren't wearing a belt but most are.....

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Quote Originally Posted by P7fanatic View Post
    If chained handcuffs are used, why don't you just thread the chain under/behind the belt (in back) so that the arms can't be brought around to the front?
    Yes, I know, some people aren't wearing a belt but most are.....

This MIGHT work on a complaint suspect but if a LEO is by themselves trying to cuff a resistant suspect they are only thinking about getting the cuffs on. They wont be attempting to thread the cuffs between the pants and the belt(if it is there) before cuffing the suspect. OMO.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Even when "secured" they can be a deadly threat.
    Yup.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by mulle46 View Post
    This MIGHT work on a complaint suspect but if a LEO is by themselves trying to cuff a resistant suspect they are only thinking about getting the cuffs on. They wont be attempting to thread the cuffs between the pants and the belt(if it is there) before cuffing the suspect. OMO.
    Just an idea---how about zip tying the cuffs to the suspect's belt (with a heavy duty zip tie)
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Sponsored Links