Almost UGLY - neighbor's kid's friends being stupid - UPDATED

This is a discussion on Almost UGLY - neighbor's kid's friends being stupid - UPDATED within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Went out a short while ago from a trip out to get some dinner. Came back home, parked in the garage and got out of ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Moderator

Went out a short while ago from a trip out to get some dinner.

Came back home, parked in the garage and got out of the car to go inside when I hear running footsteps in the street. Turn and see two adult sized figures running across the court directly towards my driveway. As I stand there in the time-dilated you-see-it-coming-but-can't-react-yet mode, they reach the driveway and continue straight up toward my position in the garage. One has his hand behind his leg, and the other is mostly behind him.

I drop the fast-food bag and drink, put the left hand (I'm kind of bladed off to their line of advance, left side facing, right side against my still open car door) up to the fending position, yank my shirt up on the right side and get a grip on the pistol with the right, while yelling "STOP" in a voice that probably made it half way to the next county. I've got the pistol about halfway out of the holster when these two come to a screeching halt. (in retrospect, it was kind of funny - the look on the lead guy's face was priceless)

Pistol still in hand, but not visible to them, I tell them to show me their hands, and they comply. Each is carrying a water balloon.

I slip the pistol back into the holster, and pull my shirt back down.

Apparently, these two were planning to "ambush" their friend when he came home, but got the wrong house.

They have no idea how wrong.

Suggested that these two little idiots find another hobby, sent them on their way, and sat down and ate. Shaking subsided, and I went out and hosed off the garage floor so my darling wife doesn't step in the sticky spilled soda mess when she gets home tonight.

Man, that could have been UGLY. Really UGLY. Evening news UGLY.

I wonder if either of these young men (16-17) realizes how close they came to getting hurt or dead tonight.

And I'm really glad it didn't get that far.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    good reaction, some guys probably would've let loose
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

Senior Moderator
    As I sit here and think about it, if it HAD been a real attack, I'd have been in bad shape. Pinned into the V between the car and open door, my response would have been pretty much limited to fending with the left, and drawing to retention / firing from retention at spitting distance. I'd almost certainly have been cut / clubbed were that these guys' intention.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

well it turned out alright, all you can do is try and figure out if you could have improved on it and use it for your benefit.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.”
    ― Thomas Paine

Lead Moderator
    Sounds as if you did well. Studying your tactics and improving on them is even better. Glad you stopped them with verbal commands. Good job.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Scarey stuff!

This is much of the reason nature initially provides about 103-104 males for every 100 females.
    Old testament....Shooting to Live 1942
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...ng_to_live.pdf
    Newer testament... Kill or Get Killed 1976/1987
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...Get_Killed.pdf

Good job!

I think the lesson here is MOVE!. You were "pinned in" from what I'm reading, but it's late and my reading comprehensions skills suck at 0200 HRS. Getting off the line of attack is #1 in my book.

The second thing, this shows why "Knowing Your Target" is very important. Until water balloons are decalred a Deadly Threat you would've been crucified, not to mention how any rational human being would've felt afterwards if they had shot.

Good job and good use of verbal commands, from what I'm reading.

Biker

You were still ready to fight, you used verbal, authoritive commands your "BG's" heard and complied with, and ID'ed your targets before employing/engaging.
    Much more acceptable to have the "decompression shakes" while eating your supper thinking what could've been rather than having taken the shot(s) and shaking in jail (possiably) after shooting a couple of knuckleheads.
    To me (and my opinion ain't worth .02) it sounds like you did just fine and your evaluating/critiqing your actions to inprove yourself rather than tear yourself down. Bravo Zulu.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I'm not sure I buy their story about wanting to ambush "a friend" (they don't know where their friend lives?). I think that you were the target of the prank, but they did not expect you to react like you did. I think you handled the situation very well.
    ‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’

— Abraham Lincoln

Remind me not to get in a water ballon fight w/ MattLarson. He doesn't play fair.

VIP Member
    Too bad you don't carry S&W's new M&P super soaker 3000. You could have gotten in some good water fight target practice.

glad to see that you reacted well. you were ready to do something if you had to, but didnt overreact either
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Distinguished Member
    Where's your whistle????

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Good job getting access to your weapon and stopping to figure out what was going on. Good job with the verbal commands too.
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links