I drew my weapon today - Page 3

I drew my weapon today

This is a discussion on I drew my weapon today within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Agreed, dude was crazy. Also this 'laws have changed' bit is crap. You don't go entering peoples vehicles uninvited and you don't stand on the ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I drew my weapon today

Agreed, dude was crazy.

Also this 'laws have changed' bit is crap.
    You don't go entering peoples vehicles uninvited and you don't stand on the side of a highway cursing at folks as you _park_ your vehicle in the flow of traffic.
    I'm glad a semi nor anyone else _did not_ hit his vehicle as that would only injure and/or ruin the day of a second innocent.

The only thing I would have done differently is when asked if I'd like to make a report by the 911 operator I would have said yes because if the guy does call (which he did) he will most definitely do so. Get your version of the story in first before the BG/idiot/crazy person.

Anyway what the heck is wrong with the road raging people?
    Running over a traffic cone would do zero damage to a persons tire. Why sweat this? Just keep on driving and think nothing more of it.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Well done Target!
    Lex et Libertas — Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Curious on your estimated age of the SUV driver?

Rick

That guy is sooooo lucky he is still breathing!
    Smith and Wesson SW40VE -SOLD
    XD9 4'' -Current
    Kimber Ultra Carry II- coming

ree
    As many others said, well played.

Quote Originally Posted by Raider39a View Post
    ...I guess Texas has castle doctrine. I wish CT has such a thing. We could use it here.
    Castle Doctrine has nothing to do with it. Pretty much everywhere, if you're legal permitted to carry in the situation, are a reluctant participant to the confrontation, have attempted reasonable fulfillment of duty to retreat, and are now faced with fear of grave bodily harm or death, you're justified. It sounds like all those were in place here.

Castle doctrine is usually just about adding civil lawsuit protection or removing duty to retreat or both.

In the end it all worked out for the best. I am glad you are ok.. Maybe you should put some mace in that console too. He would of really loved that..

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ree View Post
    As many others said, well played.

Castle Doctrine has nothing to do with it. Pretty much everywhere, if you're legal permitted to carry in the situation, are a reluctant participant to the confrontation, have attempted reasonable fulfillment of duty to retreat, and are now faced with fear of grave bodily harm or death, you're justified. It sounds like all those were in place here.

Castle doctrine is usually just about adding civil lawsuit protection or removing duty to retreat or both.
    Well, Florida's Castle Doctrine actually has direct bearing on this sort of scenario, because it extends the two key legal presumptions that apply when an intruder enters your home to your occupied vehicle as well.

The law presumes that a person who enters your occupied vehicle does so with the intent of committing an unlawful act involving force or violence, and further that a person who resists such an intruder does so out of a reasonable fear of imminent death or great bodily harm.

It also applies civil immunity in those situations.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

ree
    Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post
    Well, Florida's Castle Doctrine actually has direct bearing on this sort of scenario, because it extends the two key legal presumptions that apply when an intruder enters your home to your occupied vehicle as well.
    Sure. I should said, castle doctrine, while it can be a beneficial safety net, is not a mandatory part of justified self defense if all the prerequisites are already in place. It certain is more comforting to have. Give that, in this case, target1911 appeared to have fulfilled what's required pretty much everywhere carry is allowed and castle doctrine is not available, whether or not TX has castle doctrine is not all that important, in this specific case. Yeah, perhaps it would be if the road-rager were to pursue civil charges. But it sounds like that's probably not going to happen (fingers crossed).

You did good.

In Indiana our "castle doctrine" basically says that your vehicle is the same as your home, and if someone tries to pull me out of "my" home (vehicle), they are going to get a lead diet!!! Someone that has the balls or crazy enough to try, is in my opinion, a danger to me and or my family!!! You just don't know what they are capable of.
    Any place that I have a right to be, I have no duty to retreat!
    I think Texas has a similar doctrine also.

have attempted reasonable fulfillment of duty to retreat
    With a "castle doctrine" there is no need to retreat. Everything else is correct.
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

ree
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun Bunny View Post
    With a "castle doctrine" there is no need to retreat. Everything else is correct.
    I never said there is still a duty to retreat with castle doctrine; only that , in this particular case, target1911 was making an attempt to leave...he was attempting to retreat, regardless of whether he had to. He appears to have been justified on all prerequisites for use of force without having to have or wish for castle doctrine protection...not that having it wouldn't be nice.

Back on topic: I repeat, target1911, well played. Oh, and nice your employer is supportive.

I believe the crazy guy was talking about the fact that he had a gun in his car. That law changed in Sept. The OP said he didn't have his CHL, yet.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Sounds like everything came off ok. Glad to hear it.

I understand you being upset about your name being given out, but I wouldn't expect to see him on your porch. From your description of his reaction, it sounds like a gun was the last thing he expected to see when he opened the door. He thought he was the bigger dog and got his nose smacked.

I think he is aware of the kind of person he is dealing with here.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

yikes. glad ur ok!
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

That Castle Doctrine kinda scares me. What if the old lady's angry with me and I go to jump in the car. Can she plug me?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links