I drew my weapon today

I drew my weapon today

This is a discussion on I drew my weapon today within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I will try to keep this short..... I drive a tow truck. I was picking up a car on the left shoulder of a very ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: I drew my weapon today

I drew my weapon today

I will try to keep this short.....
    I drive a tow truck. I was picking up a car on the left shoulder of a very busy hwy. Needless to say, most of the cars didnt even act like I was there....as always.

I had finished loading the car and was picking up my traffic cones. While I was doing this an SUV was not giving me much room. I dropped the cone and backed out of the way. When I dropped the cone, it fell over into the lane of traffic and the SUV hit it.

He slamed on his breaks and come to complete stop and put his car in park....IN THE FAST LANE of traffic moving 70mph.

As he is getting out I am tossing the cones on the bed of my truck and heading to the cab of my truck.

He asked if I had thrown the cone in front of him. I told what had happened and said I was sorry that he hit it.

I guess he didnt like the answer and got even more upset. (verbal remarks that I wont repeat) He then began writing down the company info on my passenger door as I am climbing up into my truck.

At this time he reaches for my door handle. I reach to lock it but he gets it open before I can.

He gets the door open and appears to be entering my truck. At this time I am thinking...this guy is NUTS. He parked his car in the FAST lane during rush hour and now he trying to get in my truck. I draw my gun from the console, aim COM, and yell at him to get away from my truck. His eyes got the size of tires and said he just wanted my name. I told him it was none of his business and to get away. He said "now your really in trouble and slammed my door.

I drive away and call 911. Disp asked if I wanted to make a report. I declined telling her that i just wanted to call it in because I had nothing to hide. She got my name and said have a great evening.

About 30 min later an Officer called me. The other guy was making a report and the LEO wanted my side. I told him what happened and he said have a great day. Didnt ask for my whole name or DOB or any other info. Just asked, IF needed, could he contact me on that same number. I said yes sir.

They also called my boss, who already knew the story. According to my boss the other guy said, " apparently the laws have changed in Texas. Your driver is legal to carry and I could have been shot for opening his door."

My boss man said he didnt blame me for doing what I did.

I am just thank full...1. I didnt get hurt,,,2 I didnt have to shoot.

maybe that guy will think twice about opening a strangers door in the future.

One thing that really bothers me about this, is the LEO gave him my name. I dont like that at all. Now he can find out where I live. I hope i dont see him in my drive way. That could be a bad thing.
    David

Ride hard and Shoot safe

The first rule of gunfighting should be to know when the gunfight starts - being the last one to get the news certainly won't put the odds in your favor.

That is just insane to me. Where do people get off invading some ones personal space, LET ALONE invading their vehicle. Then to try and file a report like you were in the wrong makes it almost comical. Glad you are ok!

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Sounds a bit like road rage, even though you weren't driving at the time. First he was crowding you, and then got excessively aggressive and confrontational. Some people feel they are God in a car. I'm glad it turned out Ok. Hopefully this is a wake up call for that guy. He's lucky he calmed down and didn't get shot.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    You explained what happened and apologized. What more did he want? Gosh. His behavior did seem a bit erratic. Who stops his vehicle in the fast lane unless it is an emergency? Maybe one other thing you could have done was call 911 when it started. Easy being a armchair quarterback. Sorry.

Sounds like you handled it just fine. Glad everything worked out and nobody got hurt.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Good for you. I wouldn't feel out of place. I know the ordeal has made you feel a bit uneasy, but I think you had excellent reactions. My only question would be---why in the truck and not with you?
    Something similar has happened to me in the past from a driver I apparently cut off. He attempted opening my driver door at the next stoplight, but I was ready as I'd seen him get out in my driver's side mirror and approach. My door then got locked, and the G17 placed on the console in reach, and plain sight. This was before I had a CCW permit.

Administrator
    As I stated in a recent post.
    Road Rage.
    People are crazy - they fly off the handle and go totally ballistic over almost nothing these days.

Had you not fed him the muzzle he probably would have tried tossing you out into the fast lane in front of a vehicle going 70.

Some of these stressed out nut-jobs have absolutely no self control once their short fuse gets lit and they are capable of doing nearly anything and it's usually extremely violent.

You did good!

Glad everything worked out fine for you.

And the Road Rager is one lucky guy.
    Maybe he'll think twice and count to 10 next time.

You probably did him a huge "life lesson favor" and just maybe he will think before he acts next time and the next person won't have to shoot and kill him.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Too bad some 18-wheeler didn't smash his vehicle.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

DON'T MESS WITH TEXANS!
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

I think the fellow got a good case of 'manners' when you showed him your firearm.

And that is how we do that.

target1911: Glad you're okay.

Another good example of how crucial it is to always be armed. Always. You never know when the scat's going to hit the fan or some two-legged critter is going to go ballistic, either on a holier-than-though trip to educate you, or on a vindictive trip to harm you physically. In this case, all indicators strongly suggest he was felonious, simply stupid beyond belief, or both. All for a supposed "diss." Dumb.

Hopefully, the attacker will appreciate the depth of three things, from now on: his stupidity; his conception of his own mortality; and the right of folks to defend themselves against those whose stupdity exceeds their conception of mortality. If nothing else, he should be very glad he didn't end up dead, for his aggressions.

Forest Gump had it right. Life is like a box o' choc'lates. You never know what you're gonna get.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

People are just out of control these days! Why would someone think that they could try to force their way into my vehicle (my property) and I would just let them do whatever they wanted??? Everyone is so used to getting their way that they don't even think about another person's position or stance on a subject. I would have done exactly what you did. In my opinion, road rage is more of a threat to my safety than someone breaking into my house at night. Nice job on all the calls you made too.
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

good thing you're in Texas...I fear that if I did the same in NY,I'd be the one in jail for trying to protect myself.
    "Just because I'm paranoid,doesn't mean they're NOT after me...."

This jackass is lucky he isn't in the morgue, and he knows it. Nothing like a good scare to get someone with an anger management problem to calm down. Glad you're OK. Condition Orange for the next few weeks is definitely called for, but it doesn't sound like your assailant has the brains or the balls to figure out how to get to you.

In a state that has installed an express lane on Death Row, I think it is funny that this guy insinuated that the laws in Texas have changed. They haven't changed much...you've always had the right to kill someone who is attacking you.
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Scot Van View Post
    This jackass is lucky he isn't in the morgue, and he knows it. Nothing like a good scare to get someone with an anger management problem to calm down. Glad you're OK. Condition Orange for the next few weeks is definitely called for, but it doesn't sound like your assailant has the brains or the balls to figure out how to get to you.

In a state that has installed an express lane on Death Row, I think it is funny that this guy insinuated that the laws in Texas have changed. They haven't changed much...you've always had the right to kill someone who is attacking you.
    Anyone have specifics concerning 'killing of attackers'? I mean is there some disparity of force there? Don't mean to hijack the thread, but some of the 'non-blood thirsty' public may want some justification pertaining to this matter. I'm not insinuating anything nor looking for an argument. Just seems to me when the R.O. asks why you killed someone for opening your car door------just how much of a perceived threat was it? Maybe I'm out-dated on my interpretations of equal force here? Remember---passer's by may answer a witness call in the newspaper once the story debuts. Thanks for hearing me out.

Thatís a great lesson for all of us.

By calling in the incident to 911 you took the position of the one who had been in jeopardy of attack and threatened.

Whereas if he had called it in first, you would have been on the defensive, having to explain your actions.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links