New Orleans police officer shot with her own gun

This is a discussion on New Orleans police officer shot with her own gun within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; N.O. COP KILLED WITH OWN GUN- NOLA.com N.O. COP KILLED WITH OWN GUN Suspect took officer's weapon during struggle, police say Tuesday, January 29, 2008 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Orleans police officer shot with her own gun

New Orleans police officer shot with her own gun

N.O. COP KILLED WITH OWN GUN- NOLA.com

N.O. COP KILLED WITH OWN GUN
    Suspect took officer's weapon during struggle, police say
    Tuesday, January 29, 2008
    By Brendan McCarthy

A New Orleans police officer was fatally shot Monday morning in Central City by a man who police initially called a possible rape suspect, but who relatives said is a paranoid schizophrenic transient with no history of sexual assault.

On Monday morning, officer Nicola Cotton, 24, approached a middle-aged man sitting in the parking lot at a strip of stores in Central City, Police Department spokesman Sgt. Joe Narcisse said. Police Superintendent Warren Riley said the man appeared homeless.

Surveillance footage shows Cotton motioning casually about 10 a.m. for the man to come near, police said. At that point, for reasons unclear, he pounced, Narcisse said.

For seven minutes, the pair tussled on the pavement, police said. Cotton called for backup on her radio at some point during the struggle, but the man wrestled away her gun and shot her before help could arrive, police said.

"He fired several times," Narcisse said. "She goes down to the ground. He just stands there, over her, looking down."

He fired again, unloading her service weapon of all its bullets, Narcisse said.

Cotton -- a shy, soft-spoken and ambitious young officer patrolling some of the city's most violent corridors -- was pronounced dead minutes later at University Hospital. She became the second female NOPD officer killed in the line of duty.

Two men, similar names

Police said Cotton was shot in the 2100 block of Earhart Boulevard by Bernel Johnson, 44, a man described in an NOPD news release as having a history of sexual assaults.

"Officer Cotton responded to a suspicious person, possibly the perpetrator of a sexual assault," the news release stated. "Johnson has been previously arrested for sexual assaults in Jefferson Parish."

Story continues for a few pages in the link.

2. Remove Ads

That brave young lady stood up and became a cop when the city needed her. Now some low life has murdered her. How very tragic.

This one hit especially close to me when I found out that she was only 24. I'm 25 and applying to a force near New Orleans...

Senior Member Array rangerman2003's Avatar
    its always sad when someone behind the badge is killed, even worse when with her own weapon.. how far was backup?? around here backup is less than 2 minutes usually
    Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'

De inimico non Loquaris sed cogites.

Do not wish ill for your enemy, plan for it!

She was about 4 blocks from her district hq.

VIP Member
    It said she was in a strip mall parking lot. Why didn't anyone help her? It's possible nobody saw a lady cop get attacked by a nut, but my guess is nobody wanted to get "involved". I, for one, would have helped, not with a gun but with my hands.

Man....! NOPD has a history of taking care of cop killers on thier own. Prayers to her, her fellow officers, and her family.

atctimmy is right, somebody has to be a dog among the flock and predators.

The wife and I are gonna be in NO next weekend for Mardi Grais too.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Damn, Damn, Damn! I sure hope noone was standing by watching.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

VIP Member
    My condolences to the young officer's family and fellow MOS.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Terrible tragedy indeed.

Senior Moderator
    There probably were people standing by watching. Most of them were more than likely unprepared and unequipped to act.

There may have been one or two that could have helped, but made the commitment that they would only help themselves or their family members due to the possibility of getting sued, losing the farm, or not being "on duty" or perhaps they simply chose to be a "good witness".

Of course, none of the above prevented the young officer from getting killed.
    Last edited by HotGuns; January 30th, 2008 at 11:20 PM.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

One link I read had several people watching and no one did anything.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

The article I read stated the struggle lasted 7 minutes.
    No one even had a cell phone?

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    There probably were people standing by watching. Most of them were more than likely unprepared and unequipped to act.

There may have been one or two that could have helped, but made the commitment that they would only help themselves or their family members due to the possibility of getting sued, losing the farm, or not being "on duty" or perhaps they simply chose to be a "good witness".

Of course, none of the above prevented the young officer from getting killed.
    My thoughts exactly. How sad.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

GPS
    That is a very rough neighborhood. A high crime area with lots of drug heads. I've investigated several arsons in that neighborhood including one at the laundry in that strip mall. What really sucks is that this area is about 3 or 4 blocks from City Hall. It just seems like every system is broken down here. In the winter and during the Mardi Gras Carnaval season we also get all the homeless and deadbeats from up north coming down here to get warm and get into the partying. By the way, the law down here does not allow CCW if you are attending a Mardi Gras parade. If you get caught along the parade route with a gun or any other weapon, it is a straight trip to Central Lock-Up for you.

A gunfight broke out shortly after a parade down here the other night when two groups of teenage gang bangers started in on each other. The shooter missed his intended target and the bullet passed through a window into a hotel lobby where it hit a tourist in the head. Luckily, it must have been a grazing hit or missed the brain, because news reports said it was not a life threatening injury.
    Cordially,
    GPS

Visit U.S. Concealed Carry - The Ultimate Resource for the Armed Citizen http://www.usconcealedcarry.com/inde...ffID=GStrecker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links