I just had an interesting evening...

This is a discussion on I just had an interesting evening... within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So I just had an interesting evening. This may not seem like much to many of you who have been in much worse situations but ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I just had an interesting evening...

So I just had an interesting evening. This may not seem like much to many of you who have been in much worse situations but this got me kind of shook up for a few minutes.

I was coming home from Bass Pro Shops with my 8 month old son in the truck with me when I see some guy standing next to my wifes car. To me it looks like he casing it out which wouldn't surprise me as our car has been broken into before in the same spot. As I pull up he sees me and starts to walk off. As he's walking he randomly changes directions and heads towards a tractor trailer parked across the street.

At this point I'm thinking that he may be waiting for me to get out of my truck to try something and it would take me too long to get my son out and get us in the house. So I put the truck in reverse and pull out of the parking lot. I can see him just standing behind the hood of the semi-truck watching me. So I decided to call the police on their non-emergency line to report a suspicious person.

A few minutes later a cruiser pulls through and the guy eventually starts to walk down the street. As he's walking he's looking at me and yelling "don't be a b**** punk". The cruiser comes back around and stops to talk with him.

To wrap this up the officer sent him on his way and hung out with another cruiser for a little bit. Once the guy left I went out and thanked the officers for coming out and being fast to respond. My only concern now is that he knows where I live and may come back to try something. I don't think he would, but you never know.

Sorry for rambling but I had to share. This was the first iffy situation that I've been in since I started carrying about a year ago. Other than the gun shots right outside my door. Thanks for listening!
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That sucks, I've been in similar circumstances. What has worked well for me is to keep driving when I see that kind of thing happen. Swing back around in a minute and if they're still there, then call while out of sight. It'll be easy enough for the suspected BG to assume you were picking up/dropping off someone/something and someone else called it in. Plus, they won't necessarily know where you live. I hope it all works out well for you in the end, be safe, and be extra vigilant for awhile.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

That's pretty much what I did. I called once I pulled out and was past him and then I circled back around the block to see if he was still there, and he was, then I came in the back way. But he could see me get out of my vehicle while he was talking with the nice officer.

On and interesting note I just heard three slow gun shots not too far from my apartment.

Man I cannot wait to move out of this place!!!!!!
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Be careful. I doubt this guy was up to any good. If the police hadn't shown up, you probably would have had a much more serious confrontation.

If you suspect shenanigans, do not go home. NEVER.

Upon seeing dude at your wifes car from the street drive on past like you don't live there.
    Go up the block a bit out of sight and then dial 911.
    Wait for the cops to clear things out...then when Mr. Badguy is out of sight go to your home.

Don't let BGs know where you live.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    Ditto what Janq said!!!
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Quote Originally Posted by wht06rado View Post
    That's pretty much what I did. I called once I pulled out and was past him and then I circled back around the block to see if he was still there, and he was, then I came in the back way. But he could see me get out of my vehicle while he was talking with the nice officer.

On and interesting note I just heard three slow gun shots not too far from my apartment.

Man I cannot wait to move out of this place!!!!!!
    Been there, done that. Be extra vigilant, extra extra vigilant.

Senior Member Array Stirling XD's Avatar
    I agree with the others about driving past your place, but it's hard to think of that until after it's happened. And if you have a child that's tired of being in the car, that could be an added complication. I think you did OK. I don't see a huge threat of retribution from this guy. He wasn't arrested and you didn't shoot any of his homeys. The police have his name and if anything bad happens, he will be the first person they look for. But still, stay alert and move soon.

I will be out of here in April. I am just trying to lay low until then.

Next time I see something like that my first reaction will be to just keep driving.

Thanks for the reply's and support!

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    If you suspect shenanigans, do not go home. NEVER.

Upon seeing dude at your wifes car from the street drive on past like you don't live there.
    Go up the block a bit out of sight and then dial 911.
    Wait for the cops to clear things out...then when Mr. Badguy is out of sight go to your home.

Don't let BGs know where you live.

- Janq
    This is ALWAYS the best advice in situations like you describe.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

VIP Member
    I think you did fine by pulling in, getting the guy's attention, then pulling away and calling the police, yet staying close enough to watch the house in case your wife was in trouble. You didn't say whether she was home or not, but I'll assume she was since her car was there. As far as the guy finding out where you live, he already knows where you live because he's standing right there. The good part about you pulling in is that now he knows a guy lives there, a guy who won't hesitate to call the police. This, more than anything, may dissuade him from coming back.

My situation is different from yours since I live in a neighborhood of homes only, with no place nearby where big trucks can park and people can loiter, and also because our daughter is 15 and not an infant like your son. So don't take the following as any criticism of how you responded. But your post got me to thinking what I would do given a similar situation in my neighborhood.

If I came home and found some guy standing next to my wife's car, I'd be wondering if she was okay, if she'd been taken hostage, or was being assaulted inside. No way I'm driving on, even with my child with me, unless I see an armed perpetrator or multiple BG's... and maybe not even then.

Given the situation described with one unknown guy, I think I'd block her vehicle in (in case someone is attempting to take her hostage), get out, and confront the guy. Even if he starts to pull a gun, I'm betting my life I can take him. I don't think he'll be expecting me to be so prepared. Either way, I'm not leaving until I find out about my wife.

Calling the police is a good idea if there is time. But if I arrive on such a scene, I want to find out the status of my wife right then, not 5 minutes later when the police arrive. If she's being assaulted inside the house right then, a 5-minute wait for the police isn't good enough for me. If she's not home and I'm with our child, yes, I'll drive on. But if she's home, I confront right now.

To me, a situation like this wouldn't be about property, it would be about whether my wife was okay or not. I might have arrived at the tail end of a home assault, with some guy looking for a getaway car. If it's only about property, I drive on. But if I'm worried about my wife's safety, I will confront immediately. If I'm fast and right, my child will be okay even if the BG has a gun.

I'm not high-tailing it out of there if I'm unsure of my wife's condition. And for those who will be quick to point out the threat to our child in case I'm shot or incapacitated, when she rides with me, she has 18 rounds of 9mm in an open holster right next to her thigh, in a gun she has practiced with. And I drill her constantly on the mindset she needs in order for her to use a gun in self defense. I am confident she can keep some scumbag from getting to her.

The bottom line is this: if I don't know whether my wife is safe or not, I'm not running. It's on.

Quote Originally Posted by grady View Post
    The bottom line is this: if I don't know whether my wife is safe or not, I'm not running. It's on.
    I'm sure someone will argue with you but it won't be me. I feel very much the same way and have no problem taking a bullet if that is what it takes to protect her.

I will say though that you should have a plan for the wife and the daughter. Practice it often too.
    Lex et Libertas — Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    "Dont be a ***** Punk" Yea! I would keep an eye out for him in the future.

Well, fortunately my wife was NOT home when this all happened. She was out with some friends. If she had been home things would have been a little different. One good thing about my apartment is that it is on the corner facing the street. So I can drive by and see all the windows and doors before I pull in. Which makes it a little bit easier to see what's going on when I get home. It's also not too uncommon to see someone walking around the cars out here. It's when he suddenly changed directions and walked behind the semi-truck that really got my attention.

Thanks for all the posts guys!

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Glad you’re moving…. And I’m glad things worked out good for ya.

I agree with what others have said. I would bet you won’t see that BG again, because he knows you’ll call the COPS. And since most BG already have a criminal history, they don’t like confrontations with LEO’s.

However, before pulling in your parking spot take a look around and make sure the area is secure. Don’t forget to report the incident to your apartment manager.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links