Gun Store Robbery-- Owner Shot

This is a discussion on Gun Store Robbery-- Owner Shot within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Recordnet.com: New suspects sought in gun store owner shooting This is not far from were I used to live. LODI - Lodi police are searching ...

Thread: Gun Store Robbery-- Owner Shot

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar

Gun Store Robbery-- Owner Shot

Recordnet.com: New suspects sought in gun store owner shooting

This is not far from were I used to live.

LODI - Lodi police are searching for two new suspects in the attempted murder and robbery of gun store owner Carl Nick Flores.

Flores was shot in the head last Thursday at his store, Nick's Gunworks at 440 E. Lodi Ave., with a .22-caliber pistol. He passed out for a time but later locked the store and drove himself home after he woke up, police said. His wife found him bleeding in his living room and called police.

A new witness told police Wednesday that he was walking about 6:30 p.m. last Thursday on Lodi Avenue, heard a gunshot and saw two men run out of the store and go east, Lodi police Detective Nick Rafiq said.

Rafiq said the suspects are both about 5 feet 3 inches tall and were wearing dark hooded sweat shirts, according to the witness, who saw them from across the four-lane street.

Police originally were looking for two suspects described as black men, one 5 feet 10 inches tall and the other 6 feet 1 inch tall and driving a Nissan sedan.

"Those men were seen driving away in a car," Rafiq said. "It's not likely they would leave and come back without the car to commit the crime."

Flores remains in critical but stable condition at the University of California, Davis, Medical Center in Sacramento.

Rafiq also said inventory of the gun store has revealed that three guns were stolen in the robbery.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

2. Remove Ads

When I was stationed at Pope AFB NC I worked part time at Cumberland Knife and Gun. At the time we used the "permit to purchase a handgun" system to keep from pulling out the handguns for all the GIs with too much time on their hands. This was back in the 1980's and GIs pulling the trigger on the revolvers would make a new gun look used. Anyway a good customer & wife came in wanting to look at a 1911 with Pachmayer grips, flat main spring housing and a bunch of other stuff on it but didn't have the permit. Since I'd sold him several guns in the past year I took my own 1911 out which was much like the one he wanted to look at. I unloaded my gun and handed it to him. When he got done he handed it back to me and as I put the magazine back in a crack head looking guy with a bowling bag and a 410 Snake Charmer came in the front door. Now this is Fayetteville NC and a gun shop so it didn't really set off my hinky button. As he walked up to me I chambered a round in my .45 and asked if I could help him? He kind of sucked wind for a second and then asked the price of ammo for the 410. I'm standing there with a loaded .45 in my hand and told him $5 a box or what ever it was at the time. He replied "never mind" and walked out.

30 minutes later he robbed Bragg Pawn just up the street. Of course I didn't know anything about it until I read Sunday's paper. When I did I called the Sheriff's department and they said "we need to talk to you". The guy that got robbed was so shook up he couldn't give a description but had a 410 ring on his chest where the BG shoved the shotgun into it so hard. The caught him a month later in NYC trying to sell the 36 handguns he stole from Bragg Pawn.

It would have been a pretty dumb move on his part to try and rob our store as we had 8 armed guys working that Saturday morning and all of us were either Special forces, competitive shooters or marksmanship training instructors. Of course that wouldn't have done me any good against that single shot but he wouldn't have made it out the door.

I just plain got lucky that day.

A few years later one of my customers that owned a pawn shop in Altus, Oklahoma got shot in the top of his head by a crack head when he reached into his case to show him some "bling". Killed him instantly and left his wife with a 4 year old boy to raise herself. They caught the BG an hour later on top of a roof trying to hide from the police about 3 blocks away. Ended up serving life in prison. The shop owner never had a chance. His mistake was taking his eyes off the bad guy. He was armed but had put the gun higher up to keep it out of the reach of his son. Should have kept his eye on the BG and been wearing his gun. That episode really made me think about situational awareness and I never know what part of town going to end up in.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

Man, two haunting stories. Glad I work in a secure facility and don't have to deal with the public.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

Links