Cop on Cop gunfight.....

This is a discussion on Cop on Cop gunfight..... within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Just read this on FOX News website. I didn't see another thread about it but I might have missed it. If this is running someplace ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cop on Cop gunfight.....

Cop on Cop gunfight.....

Just read this on FOX News website. I didn't see another thread about it but I might have missed it. If this is running someplace on the forum, sorry I missed it.

cop on cop gun battle

BUFORD, Ga. Two off-duty officers from different police departments wounded each other in a gun fight in the middle of a road in an Atlanta suburb, authorities said.

Both officers suffered non-life-threatening wounds, police said. Their conditions were not immediately known on Saturday.

Officer Jay Daily, a five-year veteran of the Duluth Police Department, exchanged multiple gunshots with Fulton County officer Paul Phillips on Friday afternoon, police said.

Daily was in custody Saturday, charged with aggravated assault, Cpl. Illana Spellman of the Gwinnett County police said.

"It's been confirmed that the Duluth police officer was the aggressor in this case," Spellman said.

Phillips, 37, required surgery at Gwinnett Medical Center. There was no immediate response to a call seeking comment from the hospital Saturday morning.

"It's been baffling to us why this situation even occurred," said Duluth Police Chief Randy Belcher. "It's an embarrassment to this agency."

Phillips, who was wearing his uniform and in a marked police car, was driving to his home in Gwinnett County, police said. He was flagged down by someone who had seen Daily involved in a physical altercation with a woman in a sport-utility vehicle.

Daily, who lives in the area, was off duty and in civilian clothing but was wearing a bulletproof vest, police said.

Police did not know what relationship Daily had with the woman or what started the confrontation. The woman, who was not identified, later was hospitalized for minor injuries she suffered before the shooting started, police said.

Belcher described Daily as "an outstanding officer" and said he was suspended while the investigation is under way.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Well, there is two things that will get cops in trouble everytime... this guy got both. Tough call to make, but it certainly seems Daily was wrong. If this is the case, he needs to pay the piper.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Well, there is two things that will get cops in trouble everytime... this guy got both. Tough call to make, but it certainly seems Daily was wrong. If this is the case, he needs to pay the piper.
    agreed.

Knuckleheads in every profession.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

We had cop on cop last week. 1st officer(Mount Vernon) off-duty plain clothes sees perp go after inncocent person in strret. Officer starts to wrestle with prep gun falls to ground, wrestling for control of gun. 2 shots discharge. Regain control of fire arm.4 Mount Vernon roll onto sceen. Order subject(Mount Vernon Officer) to drop the gun 4 times. Subject turns towards 4 Westchester Officers and Officers discharge weapons killing the other officer.

Quote Originally Posted by HITCH KING View Post
    We had cop on cop last week. 1st officer(Mount Vernon) off-duty plain clothes sees perp go after inncocent person in strret. Officer starts to wrestle with prep gun falls to ground, wrestling for control of gun. 2 shots discharge. Regain control of fire arm.4 Mount Vernon roll onto sceen. Order subject(Mount Vernon Officer) to drop the gun 4 times. Subject turns towards 4 Westchester Officers and Officers discharge weapons killing the other officer.
    Here is the lastest link to that incident. Funeral was yesterday. Activists are already involved. Detective never showed his badge as it was still in his car. This one is going to be interesting.
    Thousands say goodbye to slain Mount Vernon detective | lohud.com | The Journal News

Sad.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    At least I am in a business where no one EXPECTS us to behave very well. It's gotta make the LEO's on this board (and elsewhere) just freaking cringe. Ugh.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Good thing that they weren't better shots or there would be a funeral. Sounds like this Daily character needs to loose his job and spend some time in the lockup.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

There was a funeral in NY

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Good thing that they weren't better shots or there would be a funeral. Sounds like this Daily character needs to loose his job and spend some time in the lockup.
    Check out my post. There was a funeral!

Quote Originally Posted by jframe38 View Post
    Check out my post. There was a funeral!
    Different incidents.

It reminds me of Massad Ayoob's book talking about CCW, off-duty LEO, etc. He always don't take it personal when the uniform police roll-in and start demanding you to surrender your weapon. He said they would do the exact same thing to any non-uniform LEO, CCW holder, etc. They are taught that they now need to won the situation until it can all be sorted out. So everyone on the scene is dis-armed. Sounds like Daily was the aggressor in the GA incident against a lady in the SUV before the other LEO arrived. Anger is never a reason to display a concealed weapon, only fear. It seems like a hard sell to say an un-armed soccer mom is a life threating BG.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Yow,...worst in my area I ever heard of was a LEO lost control of his vehicle during a highspeed pursuit into a neighboring county and hit head on with a LEO of said neighboring county,...Both were killed instantly. Both very well respected men in their community with familys,..may the R.I.P. (this was actually a stones through from where I live.)

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Quote Originally Posted by randytulsa2 View Post
    At least I am in a business where no one EXPECTS us to behave very well. It's gotta make the LEO's on this board (and elsewhere) just freaking cringe. Ugh.

Yep. It does make me cringe. At first, I thought it was a case of 2 off-duty LEO's both getting involved in the same incident out of uniform. Reading the article, I was amazed and disgusted that Daily would fire on an uniformed officer DRIVING a patrol car. As my drill instructors said in boot camp, there are always that 5% to 10 % that have no business being a LEO (or as I first heard it, a Marine). OMO
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by mulle46 View Post
    As my drill instructors said in boot camp, there are always that 5% to 10 % that have no business being a LEO (or as I first heard it, a Marine). OMO
    D.I's tend to be smart men, but I wonder if 5 to 10% of them have no business being D.I's
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links