UGLY: Md. boy, 15, charged with killing family

This is a discussion on UGLY: Md. boy, 15, charged with killing family within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Sad. I hope he gets the chair! Md. boy, 15, charged with killing family - Yahoo! News By KASEY JONES, Associated Press Writer 11 minutes ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UGLY: Md. boy, 15, charged with killing family

Unhappy UGLY: Md. boy, 15, charged with killing family

Sad. I hope he gets the chair!

Md. boy, 15, charged with killing family - Yahoo! News

By KASEY JONES, Associated Press Writer 11 minutes ago

COCKEYSVILLE, Md. - A 15-year-old boy was charged with murder Sunday in the shooting deaths of his parents and two younger brothers in their home in a Baltimore suburb.
    ADVERTISEMENT

Nicholas Waggoner Browning was charged with four counts of first-degree murder in the slayings of his father, John Browning, 45; his mother Tamara, 44; and his brothers Gregory, 13, and Benjamin, 11. He was charged as an adult.

Browning was arrested at 1:05 a.m. Sunday after he admitted to the killings, Baltimore County Police spokesman Bill Toohey said.

The teen had a disagreement with his father and used his father's handgun to kill his family Friday night, Toohey said. After the slayings he threw the gun away in bushes near his house.

Browning then spent Friday night and all day Saturday with friends, Toohey said. When the friends took him back to his house at 5 p.m. Saturday, Browning went into the house and came back out to say that his father was dead.

Browning was denied bail Sunday morning; bail review will be conducted Monday. He was being held at the Baltimore County Detention Center in a special section for juveniles.

The grounds of the two-story home were neat and neighbor Mike Thomas said the Brownings would even pick up trash along the street.

"These people would do anything in the world for you — just incredible people," Thomas said.

Neighbors called each other throughout the night to discuss the killings, Thomas said.

He said one of his sons had been in Boy Scouts with one of the Brownings' sons and was devastated when he learned of the deaths. Thomas said he recently sold Browning a trailer that Browning planned to use for Boy Scout outings, and it was still parked in the Brownings' driveway Sunday.
    Semper Fi!

Engineers Up!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    This kid needs to face adult consequences. This POS went out and partied with friends after he killed his whole family! Disgusting!

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Obviously a time bomb...that exploded. Bet there were warning signs prior to this very demonic act.

I again think of the potential role of the internet and X boxes...

Rick

Thumbs down

Hm. Disagreement with dad, so kill the whole family. Yup. That'll do it.

Some years ago, I ceased being amazed by parents that raised their children home-schooled and without television or modern media of any sort. I'm sure this young guy thought that murder was the suitable response to a "diss" ... just as he's been taught by modern cultural enemas. I wonder what (if anything) his parents knew about his friends, his frequent whereabouts, whether he was troubled or having issues as school, etc. I may never be known.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Hm. Disagreement with dad, so kill the whole family. Yup. That'll do it.

Some years ago, I ceased being amazed by parents that raised their children home-schooled and without television or modern media of any sort. I'm sure this young guy thought that murder was the suitable response to a "diss" ... just as he's been taught by modern cultural enemas. I wonder what (if anything) his parents knew about his friends, his frequent whereabouts, whether he was troubled or having issues as school, etc. I may never be known.
    I missed your point.

Are you suggesting that he was home-schooled and thus warped by that? Or that he should have been kept separate from a corrupt culture with warped values?

--Travis--

Quote Originally Posted by TravisABQ View Post
    I missed your point.

Are you suggesting that he was home-schooled and thus warped by that? Or that he should have been kept separate from a corrupt culture with warped values?

--Travis--
    I read the previous post meaning kids who are home schooled are more adjusted and respectful due to the parenting that goes into home schooling...that their exposure to popular culture (TV, music) is more limited than that of children of similiar age in public school (exceptions notwithstanding).

As a product of public schooling, I wish I was home schooled. With my kids, we augment what is learned in public school with an hour or two of one-on-one.

Don't read the previous post as a "diss"--yo
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by TravisABQ View Post
    Are you [ccw9mm] suggesting that he was home-schooled and thus warped by that? Or that he should have been kept separate from a corrupt culture with warped values?
    I simply said that many folks choose to home-school and avoid contemporary popular cultural crap precicely because of the risks those things pose.

It's unknown whether this kid's family had any knowledge of his whereabouts, took serious control of his education and what he learned, took any steps to know who his friends were, and so on. Apparently, the parents didn't keep much control over their own firearms, what with kids in the house.

Don't read the previous post as a "diss"--yo
    Yeah ... Grrrr ... you diss me, you die! Arghhh! Look out ... it's gonna blow ...!

Ah, me. What a world we've created, eh? Full of malcontents and murderous thugs, overeating/undereating and nothing but drugs, kids who will and kids who won't, and at the end of the day nobody's got a clue of what to do. Me, I'm just hangin' onto the buoy just like the rest of y'all, tryin' to ride out the storm. May it pass me by.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    I understand both points, above: some homeschooling is just thinly-veiled "I can't do anything with him and the public schools expelled him" while other parents do it because (boiling it down and removing theological arguments) they think they can provide a better education than the public schools. I'm in the second group - I taught high school for 13 years and I see what they often produce. Not saying 'always' - I'm thrilled to see the 'right thinkers' on this forum that public education has produced. But to risk my precious daughter? NOT!

Heck, so far as education goes, in addition to the Great Books from Aristotle on forward, my homeschool daughter has (as part of her curriculum) to read Paxton Quigley's Stayin' Alive and Ayoob's In The Gravest Extreme. Once she does that, she must take and pass the concealed handgun class and the advanced class where they do the airgun/strobes/sirens/shootatyou drills. She won't be able to get a permit for some time, of course, but I want her to be more comfortable with guns and the whole self-defense thing, especially as I won't be in front of her and growling at bad guys if she's off at college. Or providing cover.

And she's turning out pretty well, by God's grace.

Last edited by Paymeister; February 3rd, 2008 at 03:07 PM. Reason: added photo of daughter's recent target

This crime has nothing to do with public school or home school. This kid was already a 'crime waiting to happen', and I'm sure there were some obvious warning signs.

He kills his parents and siblings and then goes out with his friends? He doesn't have 'screws loose'...he is missing the screws altogether...

Bubba is going to, hopefully, have a great time with this 'dating material'...

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    This crime has nothing to do with public school or home school. This kid was already a 'crime waiting to happen', and I'm sure there were some obvious warning signs.
    And that's all the "home school" comment was about, indicating that some parents choose this avenue as one mechanism to help raise the kids right. Of course, when parents, siblings and friends are all blind to the indicators, even that won't matter much. The comment never meant to suggest home schooling ever had anything to do with this kid willingly shoveling for Hades.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Apologies for misdirecting the thread; I think I was reacting to media treatment of kids in a couple of other situations in the last several months.

Rough situation, no doubt. Hope it was quick for the family.

Md. Teen Admits Killing Sleeping Family

As reported via ABCNews.com:

Md. Teen Admits Killing Sleeping Family
    Police Say Md. Teen Killed Parents, 2 Brothers, Then Staged Discovery of Their Bodies

Jennifer Welsh, second from left, her daughter Sara Welsh, right, and a young neighbor mourn Sunday, Feb. 3, 2008, outside a Cockeysville, Md., home where John and Tamara Browning, and their sons Gregory, 13, and Benjamin, 11, were found dead Saturday. Baltimore County police arrested Nicholas Waggoner Browning, 15, and charged him with four counts of first degree murder in the deaths of his family. (Steve Ruark/AP Photo)

By KASEY JONES Associated Press Writer
    COCKEYSVILLE, Md. Feb 4, 2008 (AP)

Police say a 15-year-old charged with killing his parents and two younger brothers shot them as they slept, then returned a day later to stage the discovery of their deaths.

Soon after friends dropped off Nicholas Browning at his family's large farmhouse-style home, he came out of the house to say he had found his father's body on the ground floor. He then called 911.

But authorities say the teen had shot his father, mother, and brothers with one of his father's guns Friday, then tossed the handgun in some bushes and left.

After the killings, Nicholas spent Friday night and all day Saturday with friends, said Bill Toohey, a Baltimore County police spokesman. Police responded shortly before 5 p.m. Saturday to "a call of a cardiac arrest," according to charging documents.

"A caller reported to 911 that a 45-year-old male was lying on the couch with blood coming out of his nose. He was not breathing."

Officers found Nicholas' father dead in a ground-floor room and his mother and brothers' bodies in upstairs bedrooms. They also found the gun.

Police said Nicholas confessed early Sunday and was charged as an adult with four counts of first-degree murder. It was unclear Sunday whether he had an attorney.

The victims were John, 45; Tamara, 44; Gregory, 13, and Benjamin, 11.

Nicholas had not been getting along with his father, police said in a news release, but investigators offered no other details. There was no sign of a confrontation Friday at the house, police said.

John Browning, a real estate lawyer, had worked in Baltimore County's oldest law firm for nearly 20 years. He was a scoutmaster and a church leader.

Nicholas, who was tall and gangly, was working toward becoming an Eagle Scout, and had built a prayer garden at his church to meet one of the requirements. His high school was one of the best in the county.

Someone hung a small, silver-colored crucifix on the mailbox of the Brownings' half-million dollar home. About 50 people, mostly teenagers, gathered out front for a candlelight vigil Sunday night, making no sound except sobs.

John Browning was "beloved and well-revered. I'm told this is not the kind of family that this could happen to," said the Rev. Frances Dailey, pastor of Timonium United Methodist Church, where the Brownings' Troop 328 met.

Browning led camping, rock climbing and whitewater expeditions for his Boy Scout troop. The family also hosted meetings for scouts' parents at their home.

"John was a wonderful man. He and his wife, Tammy, were very much in love. Together they were caring and loving parents to their children," Browning's law partners said in a statement. "John was also a man of much faith. And he so much enjoyed the outdoors."

Two of Nicholas Browning's schoolmates drove past the house Sunday afternoon. They wept when they were told Nicholas was charged in the killings.

"It's hard to believe someone could do this," said Brooke Kebaugh, 16.

Liz Lazlawbach, 17, said Browning complained about fighting with his father, but "not about anything violent."

Nicholas was formally arrested at 1:05 a.m. Sunday after admitting to the killings, Toohey said. Nicholas was denied bail Sunday morning at a hearing. He was being held at the Baltimore County Detention Center in Towson in a special section for juveniles.

His bail will be reviewed Monday in Towson, the county seat, six miles from the family's home.

The county had 37 homicides last year, compared with 282 in nearby Baltimore. Toohey said there had not been a similar incident in the area since 1995, when a man killed his wife and three children before killing himself.

Resident Mike Thomas said one of his sons had been in scouts with one of the Brownings' sons. The Brownings would go out of their way to help others, even stopping to pick up debris in the street, he said.

"These people would do anything in the world for you just incredible people," he said.

Thomas said he recently sold John Browning a trailer that Browning planned to use for Boy Scout outings. It was parked Sunday in the family's driveway.

The story can be found at; ABC News: Boy Scout Shot Family As They Slept

- Janq

Side note: Yet another reason to keep your firearms, all of them, kept stored locked _and_ to not share your key or pass code with others not even your children, unless you are 100% sure they aren't mental. Obviously as based on results the boy was instructed in firearms usage which these days is no longer enough.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I know that my point is a little off-topic and I hope that I don't come across overly jaded to death and horrific stories.
    That said, was the fathers middle initial M?
    Bleeding-heart reporter: “Do you feel that violence begets violence?”
    Jeff Cooper: “It is my earnest endeavor to see that it does. I would like very much to ensure - and in some cases I have - that any man who offers violence to his fellow citizen begets a whole lot more than he can enjoy."

how can you blame the crime on how boy was educated. That's just stupid in my book. For that matter nobody here knows what prompted the boy to kill his family. So why second guess the cause.
    Jack dog

You know even good families sometimes produce bad seed, in this case, a monster.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links