Quote from the Tinley Park, Ill. strip mall shooting.

This is a discussion on Quote from the Tinley Park, Ill. strip mall shooting. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Six women herded into the back of the store. Five executed and one surviving by faking death. This is truly a tragedy and hopefully the ...

Thread: Quote from the Tinley Park, Ill. strip mall shooting.

Quote from the Tinley Park, Ill. strip mall shooting.

Six women herded into the back of the store. Five executed and one surviving by faking death. This is truly a tragedy and hopefully the criminal will be apprehended, with luck he will innefectively resist to his own detriment. This quote though struck me,

FOXNews.com - Intense Manhunt Continues for Strip Mall Shooter Accused of Killing 5 Women - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

A tear rolled down Cindy Sorenson's cheek as she brought a bouquet of bright red roses to Lane Bryant. Sorenson, who works at a nearby mall, said she didn't know the victims, but couldn't stop thinking about them.

"You spend so much time in a store and you never think anything like this will happen," the 34-year-old Sorenson said.
    I was in a mall on Saturday with my wife and child. As I sat there with the stroller waiting for my wife in a nearby shop I continually scanned the crowds going by looking for anything out of place. High on the list were any males unaccompanied by women or children. Manner of dress and demeanor were secondary criteria. I would estimate that only 5% of the people I saw were males who were alone or with other males. Of those only four stood out as being dressed or behaving in manner deserving of closer observation and as expected none of them committed any crime in my vision. Since I sat there for 45 minutes in a high traffic area I would estimate about 750 - 1,000 people passed by and only 4 warranted real watching. Did any of this prevent me from amusing my young son, enjoying the eye candy that strolled by or watching the gentleman train the "assistance" dog he had nearby? Not at all. It was just another day as usual and I was not prevented from enjoying it in any way due to "paranoia."

So why did I do this exercise in observation? I hadn't heard the news from outside Chicago and there has never been a shooting at the mall I was at. It all comes down to this; when Ms. Sorenson said "You spend so much time in a store and you never think anything like this will happen," I was not the type of "You" she was referring to.

2. Remove Ads

Great last sentence Musketeer. That sums up the reason we carry quite nicely.

I don't watch much TV, especially the networks, but this is the first I heard of this. No surprise I guess, given the MSM thinks 24/7 Brittany Spears coverage demands top priority over real news. Sad.
    The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented on his wearing his sidearm. 'Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you expecting trouble?' 'No Ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have brought my rifle.'

1. Moron
    2. Deranged
    3. Both of the above

Has anyone here read "Teeth of the Tiger" by Tom Clancy?

After all the shootings.. schools, malls, churches.. how could anyone think it's NOT possible to be shot at a mall?

Seriously what is wrong with these people.. These shootings do not happen at gun show's, or ranges, or fun stores.. where people are more than likely armed, they happen in crowded shopping malls.. places where people are so unaware..

My gf no longer asks me not to take my gun somewhere..

Quote Originally Posted by monky View Post
    Has anyone here read "Teeth of the Tiger" by Tom Clancy?
    One brief moment where two guys stop a mall shooting by terrorists within an otherwise horrible book. Worst Clancy book EVER (collaboration books where only his name is used do not count).

I thought it kind of sucked but I wanted to read it since it was in the whole 'Ryan' series.. even though he had no part in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Musketeer View Post
    when Ms. Sorenson said "You spend so much time in a store and you never think anything like this will happen," I was not the type of "You" she was referring to.
    Right on the $$. My wife still thinks I'm a bit over the top when I watch what's 'popular news' these days and comment, "It's the end of the world, y'know . . .," but at least she's beginning to understand some of it.

C.S. Lewis said (Screwtape Letters) that part of the demonic 'game' is to have us all running around with fire extinguishers whenever there's a flood, and that sums it up perfectly. We've got real problems here, and everyone needs to know about the latest celeb rehab BS or whatever else keeps them from Paying Attention.

Oy !!
    Freedom ... must be fought for, protected, and handed on ... or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. -- Ronald Reagan, 1967

Shootings like this seems to increasing in frequency in places where the victims are usually defenseless.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Links