Comanche Co DA-Club Shooting Was Self-Defense

This is a discussion on Comanche Co DA-Club Shooting Was Self-Defense within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Comanche Co., OK DA, Robert Schulte had declined to prosecute the shooter in a recent homicide outside a Lawton club. Schulte says that it was ...

Thread: Comanche Co DA-Club Shooting Was Self-Defense

Comanche Co., OK DA, Robert Schulte had declined to prosecute the shooter in a recent homicide outside a Lawton club. Schulte says that it was a clear cut case of self defense. He states that the shooter may be charged with carrying a loaded weapon in his vehicle.

This is the third recent shooting case that Schulte has ruled self defense. Two of the shootings were fatal. There will be no grand jury.

Lawton Constitution

DA rules death case self-defense
    JOHN BEAR
    Homicide charges will not be filed against a man who shot and killed a Fort Sill soldier in front of a Lawton nightclub in January.

Ronald M. Walker, 29, fired the shot that killed Pvt. Ira Q. Easterling, 27, on Jan. 28 after a verbal argument inside the club between the two men escalated in the parking lot, Comanche County District Attorney Robert Schulte said Tuesday.

"All evidence indicates Mr. Walker was acting in self defense and homicide charges will not be filed against him," Schulte said. He added that Walker made statements to investigators that corresponded with those given by witnesses at the scene.

""Walker does face possible federal weapons charges for carrying a loaded weapon inside his vehicle. Schulte said his office will hold off on filing the weapons charges at the state level until such charges are filed with the U.S. Attorney's Office.""

""There will be a criminal charge regarding the transporting and carrying of a loaded firearm," Schulte said. "Those charges are currently being considered in federal court because the penalties are more severe at that level.""

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Does it bother anyone else that the DA here wants to bring Federal charges on carrying a loaded gun in his car? WHAT Federal charges? I thought the Feds had no jurisdiction on state matters unless state lines were crossed. What is going on here?
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

"Does it bother anyone else that the DA here wants to bring Federal charges on carrying a loaded gun in his car? WHAT Federal charges?"

Yes, it bothers the heck out of me. The only possible explanation I can think of is that the shooter is a Ft. Sill soldier or civilian employee of Ft. Sill who carried the gun in his car on post. Because of some recent shootings, maybe Schulte wants to send a message.

There have been a few other shootings involving soldiers outside Lawton area clubs in recent months. A soldier was murdered outside of Night Trips, a club outside Lawton city limits, in November last year. I have been told that 5.56mm shell casings with military headstamps were found in the parking lot. A GI is being held as a material witness. So far as I know there have been no charges in that case.

Another guy was found murdered in his car behind Night Trips last fall. Night Trips is about .4 miles from our house. After the last shooting the Sheriff closed the place.

In 2004, there was some kind of an altercation between some GIs and an older man in Night Trips. The older guy drove away and was apparently forced off the road. He was murdered just about 150 yards from my house. The shooter was a Ft. Sill MP who is now serving life in prison. The MP used his service pistol to shoot the guy.

Was the shooter a convicted felon in possession of a firearm? That's the only Federal charge that I can think of.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Sayyyy, I spent three months training at Ft. Sill back in 1977... Darn,
    I'm getting old!

Other than going to and leaving Ft. Sill, I only ventured into Lawton one time during the middle of the day. I got really bored and returned to my barracks.
    And Jesus said, "If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." (Luke 22:36)

I am a peaceful man. But I am not a pacifist.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf357 View Post
    Sayyyy, I spent three months training at Ft. Sill back in 1977... Darn,
    I'm getting old!

Other than going to and leaving Ft. Sill, I only ventured into Lawton one time during the middle of the day. I got really bored and returned to my barracks.
    Started Basic at Sill in Janurary '77 myself! Lawton still has a bad crime problem but at least they cleaned up the notorious strip!
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    Was the shooter a convicted felon in possession of a firearm? That's the only Federal charge that I can think of.
    Either that or for transporting a loaded weapon on and off of Fort Sill.

I've heard that the shooter is a military dependant. If so, and he lives on post and admitted to carrying a loaded weapon on and off post, he can be brought up on Federal Charges for such. But I'm betting on the convicted felon theory myself. There have been some reports that the fight started over "gang issues".
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

Sponsored Links