Grocer Killed With Own Gun

This is a discussion on Grocer Killed With Own Gun within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The Morning Journal - Grocer killed with own gun LORAIN -- Lorain grocer Jose Gonzalez was fatally shot with his own gun during a struggle ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grocer Killed With Own Gun

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

Grocer Killed With Own Gun

The Morning Journal - Grocer killed with own gun

LORAIN -- Lorain grocer Jose Gonzalez was fatally shot with his own gun during a struggle with the suspect in a ''botched robbery'' at Gonzalez's store last Friday, police said.

Gonzales had bought the gun to protect himself and his store following a previous holdup, according to neighbors.

Police said a man armed with a weapon that was not a gun walked into the Gonzalez Grocery at 2522 Lexington Ave. at about 10 a.m. on Jan. 25. A fight ensued between the man and Gonzalez, and Gonzalez's gun somehow got into the hands of the intruder, according to police.

Lorain police Chief Cel Rivera would not specify what weapon police believe suspect Decio Rodrigues, 24, of Lorain, brought to the store, but said it was not a gun. The chief said he does not believe Rodrigues entered the store with the intent to kill Gonzalez.

As the suspect ran from the store with cash in his hand, he was spotted by an Allied Waste worker.

Police released a composite sketch of the suspect shortly after the killing and tips started rolling in.

Lorain detectives worked around the clock with the U.S. Marshal's Violent Fugitive Task Force to capture Rodrigues. He was taken into custody Saturday night and was charged with aggravated murder.

At an arraignment Monday morning, Rodrigues appeared on live video from the Lorain County Jail. Rodrigues kept his head down for most of the proceeding, but when he did look into the camera, he had a black eye and scratches on his face.

Rivera said the injuries were from the struggle that had taken place at the grocery store when Gonzalez was fighting for his life.

Tuesday night, the community gathered with Gonzalez's family to honor his legacy and to protest violence. His son vowed to reopen the store.

Later Tuesday night, Lorain suffered its second homicide of the year when Fletcher Windham Jr., 25, of Lorain, was stabbed to death at a Seneca Avenue apartment complex. Rafael Feliciano, 22, of Lorain, has been arrested and charged with murder in Windham's death.
    Sad that the store owner let the guy get close enough to take his gun.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
    Sad that the store owner let the guy get close enough to take his gun.
    The BG almost always gets to pick the battlefield.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

If your not willing to pull the trigger, the bad guy will.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    Indeed...

"Lorain police Chief Cel Rivera would not specify what weapon police believe suspect Decio Rodrigues, 24, of Lorain, brought to the store, but said it was not a gun. The chief said he does not believe Rodrigues entered the store with the intent to kill Gonzalez."

The BG really didn't want to kill the store owner? So, it was all a great big misunderstanding. And of course it was the store owners own fault that he was armed. Actually if he had never had a gun all this would not have happened.

Frustrating, very frustrating.
    The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented on his wearing his sidearm. 'Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you expecting trouble?' 'No Ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have brought my rifle.'

Was this store owner in condition 'white'? A club or a knife in a gun fight...with a counter in between...should make the gun owner the winner...
    Don't carry a gun if you're not willing to use it!

Stay armed...stay determined...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Gonzales had bought the gun to protect himself and his store following a previous holdup, according to neighbors.
    I absolutely hate it when someone says the have a gun for protection. The gun didn't protect him one bit and probably led to his death. If you are goig to get a gun then use it to defend yourself unless you want to make bullet proof armor out of it. "My gun will protect me", not unless you pull the dang trigger.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    THIS is an armed robbery gone bad, as opposed to one going good (wherein the perp is treated to some extra perforations of his carcass).

My prayers are with the Gonzalez family.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

I feel for this victim and his family. I guess some folks who carry are just not ready to pull the trigger when it comes down to it. I have seen some of this incidences in "most shocking"... one clerk grabbed a shotgun from a robber, robber leaves and returns - wrestles the clerk for the scattergun. the clerk did not fire the shotgun at all. last night, in Turkey, a man with a pistol was running away from an assailant with a knife. the dude with the pistol actually tripped and the knife guy actually caught up with him. fortunately for him, his friend hit the knife guy with a 4x4 in the noggin and that ended the fight. but, why not just light up the guy that is trying to stab you? this guy's hesitation almost cost him his life.
    "embrace the suck" - our warriors in the sandbox... it implies that do the best you can in impossible conditions.
    "no plan survives intact upon contact with the enemy" - wisdom of the Grunts.

"no sir officer I didnt intend to kill that guy, I was only gonna rob him, I had to kill him he pulled a gun on me! I was so scared and distraught that I forgot to get the money, had to go back in and steal it, I mean look at my face officer, he beat the @#$# out of me, so I was like man I am gonna need that cash for surgery now" Love the spin on this, police say the robber didnt intend to kill the owner, basically saying its the owners fault he died, yeah its a shame he didnt use his firearm, allowed it to be turned against him, but the bottom line is this, PREMEDITATED MURDER, PERP CAME INTO STORE WITH A WEAPON AND ROBBED ABOVE SAID INDIVIDUAL, he obviously knew the victim had a firearm and disregarded it, that in itself indicates intention to kill to me, he could have beat feet, but instead he called the bluff and took not only the cash but the firearm, and this is why I belief in the death penalty. Some sorry police officer had the nerve to make a statement to the public about the Criminals intent and I can guarantee you that will be made known to the jury, something like this "the police didnt think my client wanted to kill the owner, and they are professionals they deal with this all the time, so how can you think he premeditated this murder, the owner placed my client in a no win situation where he had to kill him to survive" Lesson learned if you want a gun for protection you had better know you are willing to shoot someone

Gotta keep your distance and be aware of how far away the BG is. You can be closed in on very fast if not paying attention. Very sad.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

If you're unwilling, or unable to use it, don't have it......

Sad.

So fill me in here... where does the article say that the owner pointed the gun at the guy and didn't pull the trigger? I re-read it just now, and all I can see is that there was some sort of struggle. Can someone fill in the blanks for me? Are we making assumptions?
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    +1
    If you don't know to a certainty that you can kill someone to save a life then don't carry a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    So fill me in here... where does the article say that the owner pointed the gun at the guy and didn't pull the trigger? I re-read it just now, and all I can see is that there was some sort of struggle. Can someone fill in the blanks for me? Are we making assumptions?
    I made a possibly false assumption that the victim must have hesitated. Perhaps he hoped just showing the gun would ward off evil like some kind of talisman.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links