Could Have Been Ugly: Man Planned Massacre For The Super Bowl

This is a discussion on Could Have Been Ugly: Man Planned Massacre For The Super Bowl within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I am certain the Anti's will use this as part of their assault on "Evil Black Rifles." Super Bowl massacre averted at last minute Gary ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could Have Been Ugly: Man Planned Massacre For The Super Bowl

I am certain the Anti's will use this as part of their assault on "Evil Black Rifles."

Super Bowl massacre averted at last minute
    Gary Grado, Tribune
    A distraught Tempe man was within sight of the Super Bowl on Sunday with an assault rifle, but a change of heart kept him from unloading 200 rounds of ammunition on the crowd, court records show.

Drunkenstein's bar name scares off Tempe

Kurt William Havelock, 35, turned himself in Sunday to Tempe police and the FBI at the urging of family and confessed his plan, which he hatched in retaliation for the Tempe City Council rejecting a liquor license application for a restaurant and bar he owns.

According to court records, Havelock is charged with mailing threatening communications in the mailing of eight copies of a “manifesto” explaining the planned massacre.

“I will test the theory that bullets speak louder than words ... I will slay your children. I will shed the blood of the innocent,” Havelock wrote. “No one destroys my dream. No one.”
    Magistrate Judge Edward V. Ross said in a hearing in U.S. District Court on Tuesday: “I haven’t read more chilling words, and I’ve been doing this a long time.” Ross found Havelock was a danger to the public and ordered him held without bail.

Havelock on Sunday mailed copies of the manifesto intended for friends and media from a post office at 59th and Peoria avenues in Glendale, but authorities were able to intercept them.

In the letters he says his family has been attacked and the futures of his children have been destroyed.

In October, Havelock was before the Tempe City Council to get approval for a liquor license application for a restaurant called The Haunted Castle, a Halloween-theme bar where horror-theme bands and actors could gather to promote themselves, according to city records.

Liquor licenses are typically rubber-stamped by city councils, whose votes are only advisory.

The State Liquor Board makes the final decision.

Council members, however, got word from a blog written by Havelock that the business would be called Drunkenstein’s and questioned him about it.

Havelock said there would be a sign with that name but would be only one corner of the business at 6463 S. Rural Road.

The council voted 6-1 to deny the application, which is still pending before the liquor board.

“Alas, this all boils down to an econopolitical confrontation. I cannot outvote, outspend, outtax, or outincarcerate my enemies,” Havelock wrote in the manifesto. “But for a brief moment I can outgun them.”

According to court testimony by FBI Special Agent Philip Thorlin and Havelock’s father, Frank Havelock, he bought an AR-15 assault rifle on Jan. 29 from Scottsdale Gun Club.

Thorlin described the rifle as the U.S. military’s weapon of choice.

Havelock began Sunday by going back to the gun club for target practice, but there was a private function and he couldn’t get in. Besides the rifle, Havelock was carrying at the time six 30-round magazines and 20 loose rounds.

Thorlin said Havelock’s original destination was Desert Ridge Marketplace in northeast Phoenix. It’s unclear according to court documents why Havelock changed his mind about Desert Ridge and headed for Glendale instead.

He drove to different post offices in the West Valley to obtain the envelopes and postage for his copies of the manifesto and mailed them before he went to the parking lot of Jobing.com Arena, which can be seen from University of Phoenix Stadium, where a host of activities were happening before the 4:30 p.m. kickoff.

“He waited about a minute and decided he couldn’t do this,” Thorlin said.

Havelock then called his fiancee and met his parents at his Tempe condominium.

“He was very upset, he was sobbing hysterically,” Frank Havelock said. “He said, ‘I’ve done something terribly, terribly wrong.’ ”

Frank Havelock believed his son was talking about financial problems he was having with his restaurant, which the elder Havelock learned about for only the first time on Sunday, but then he confessed about the letters and the rifle.

Frank Havelock said he went to his son’s car and moved the weapon and ammo to his car and persuaded him to turn himself into Tempe police.

When authorities searched Havelock’s car, they found another typed letter to police with a handwritten note at the bottom that read: “do not resuscitate.”

Havelock has no criminal history, and a mental health evaluation conducted at his arrest found “no mental defects” that would warrant a commitment to a mental hospital, Thorlin said.

Frank Havelock said he’s never had any problems with his son.

Neighbors who live next door said Havelock lived with his fiancee and two small children and two large dogs. Martin Trump and Danny Q. Rivera said Havelock kept to himself and had a variety of cars, including a white hearse with a vanity plate that read “drtnap.”

They were shocked to learn of Havelock’s plan to use an assault rifle on crowds at the Super Bowl.

“The Patriots versus the Giants — do you see the ironic parallel? How many dollars will you lose? And all because you took my right to work, to own a business, from me,” Havelock wrote in his manifesto.

"Perhaps ( Web sites) will print up some cool t-shirts like I SURVIVED SUPER BOWL XLII."
    Lex et Libertas — Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

VIP Member
    I wonder if he'll get his liquor license now??????
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

me thinks this guy is not playing with a full deck, or is elevator does not go to the top.
    Jack dog

guy sounds like a winner,thank god for his change of heart though.
    yeah,that could get real ugly,real soon. glad things turned out
    the way they did.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Quote Originally Posted by jackdog View Post
    me thinks this guy is not playing with a full deck, or is elevator does not go to the top.
    Agreed.
    He sounds to me to be rowing with one oar.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Senior Member Array mech1369dlw's Avatar
    This guy is really mental. He is about 3 cans and a plastic holder short of a six pack. Probably didn't help his chances of getting his license either. The thing that bothers me is the comment by FBI Special Agent Thorlin about the AR-15 being the U.S. military's weapon of choice. Didn't know the military used AR-15's. M16's, yes. M4's, yes. AR-15's, no.
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

Damn, I hate hearing this! That could have been a tradegy. Can you imagine the media coverage and how many laws would be pushed. Now someone just shot 6 people in St, Louis.
    Smith and Wesson SW40VE -SOLD
    XD9 4'' -Current
    Kimber Ultra Carry II- coming

.......the business would be called Drunkenstein’s...........
    ..........econopolitical confrontation. I cannot outvote, outspend, outtax, or outincarcerate my enemies.............
    The guy is obviously an idiot. A brick shy of a load.....

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

That could have gone really bad. Glad it turned out the way it did.
    "You gonna do something about it or just stand there and bleed?" -Wyatt Earp

Quote Originally Posted by jackdog View Post
    I agree.

Do you think that since it was posted as a gun free zone, is the reason he turned around.

I just thank God changed his mind. Talk about bad press, and anti gun laws coming from it.

You mean he had a black, scary rifle, and he didn't go on a rampage? I thought those rifles had a mind of their own.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Agreed.
    He sounds to me to be rowing with one oar.

- Janq
    "I say, I say, that boy's about as sharp as a pound of wet liver."

-- Foghorn Leghorn, who else . . .
    Freedom ... must be fought for, protected, and handed on ... or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. -- Ronald Reagan, 1967

Havelock ...... a mental health evaluation conducted at his arrest found “no mental defects” that would warrant a commitment to a mental hospital, Thorlin said.

Uhh...... how is that again? Do they have no one qualified to make a call on this in Tempe?

Wonder if now he will pass background check for his next gun purchase?

Anybody start wondering if all these recent outrageous gun incidents with all the election hoo-boo might be arranged (READ - conspiracy) to add public support for gun legislation?
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links