Boy, 14, allegedly stabs Springfield police officer (MA)

This is a discussion on Boy, 14, allegedly stabs Springfield police officer (MA) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; As reported in my local paper the Daily Hampshire Gazette: [Originally published on: Thursday, February 07, 2008 ] SPRINGFIELD (AP) - A Springfield police officer ...

Thread: Boy, 14, allegedly stabs Springfield police officer (MA)

Boy, 14, allegedly stabs Springfield police officer (MA)

As reported in my local paper the Daily Hampshire Gazette:

[Originally published on: Thursday, February 07, 2008 ]

SPRINGFIELD (AP) - A Springfield police officer was stabbed in the chest Wednesday by a 14-year-old boy who had refused for days to get out of bed, authorities said.

Officer Kevin Fitzgerald, a 20-year veteran of the force, went to the apartment just before 11 a.m. after a call to police by the mother. The teen is a "special needs" student and has a history of violence, police spokesman John Delaney said. The teen's mother said the boy had not been out of bed for two days, had not taken his medication for depression and was agitated. Police found him on the floor, surrounded by pillows with a blanket over him that hid his hands. He appeared to be in a catatonic-like state, Delaney said.

Police had responded to a similar call on Feb. 1, he said.

"We don't want to use the term routine call, but this is a call that officer in our department are dispatched (to) on a daily basis," Delaney said.

When Fitzgerald, 44, tried to lift the teen and take him to an ambulance, the boy stabbed him with a punching-like motion with a 4-inch paring knife, Delaney said. Fitzgerald was not wearing a bulletproof vest, and the blade went into his chest up to the handle.

A second officer disarmed the teenager.

Fitzgerald was taken to Baystate Medical Center with serious but non-life threatening injuries.

The boy was in the custody of juvenile authorities Wednesday afternoon, charged with assault and battery by means of a dangerous weapon and assault and battery on a police officer.

The story can be found at; http://www.dailyhampshiregazette.com...fm?id_no=79434

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

2. Remove Ads

Sincerely hope that the officer recovers.

One just never knows when dumb stuff like this will happen. I hope the officer fully recovers and the little nit wit is in the slammer for an extended period of time.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

Quote Originally Posted by walvord View Post
    One just never knows when dumb stuff like this will happen. I hope the officer fully recovers and the little nit wit is in the slammer for an extended period of time.
    I too hope the officer recovers, but I don't like the idea of paying for the bg's food, room, and board for an extended period of time. Would much rather the issue had been fixed on the spot.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Hope the officer fully recovers...
    Hope the little thug discovers what REAL violence is like in prison...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Why would you even think that a mentally challenged person would go to prison for their actions? We (the United States) don't do that. It is used against us by lots of people who understand the weakness in our system, so why would someone who might actually fit the description it was made for go to jail?
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

Quote Originally Posted by bigiceman View Post
    Why would you even think that a mentally challenged person would go to prison for their actions? We (the United States) don't do that. It is used against us by lots of people who understand the weakness in our system, so why would someone who might actually fit the description it was made for go to jail?
    I suspect you are correct on this. The most that will happen to this kid is he will be put into some kind of "pysch" ward until they can get his "medications" regulated. Once they do that he will be declared no longer a threat and be released. Once released he will decide to quit taking his medication and everything will start over. Next time the LEO will probably decide to use his tazer and once again we will have the outcry from everyone, "Don't taze me bro". People like to complain and run cops down but there is no way that I could be one especially for cases like this.

The paradox-some mentally ill people-that's SOME-can be very dangerous, as shown above. BUT...the public at large expects police officers to treat them not as potential threats or REAL threats, but patients in need of attention..which they are. Note what happens in the media when officers are forced to use force or deadly force on someone in a full blown psychotic episode (even drug induced) that has turned or been pushed into violence. I think seeing this...no, wait, I've been there repeatedly, I know without a doubt...causes officers to compromise safety tactics.
    I was involved in detaining one a bit older that was in a psychotic episode this this week. Despite active resistance/assaultive behavior, he sustained only minor cut (no sutures needed) on his face in the event, thanks to the TASER, but the family went absolutely bananas over the UOF. Perhaps the above officer did what so many do-and thankfully we are trained more often not to-compromised his safety in an effort to solve the problem as gently as possible in view of the family. UOF is never pretty, even that which is needed.
    Prayers for a full and speedy recovery, friend.
    What Would Gumby Do?

Willing to become a murderer to defend one's ability to remain truant. He joins a large and growing club, sad to say.

Interesting that police were called to involve themselves in a obstinate boy at home.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Willing to become a murderer to defend one's ability to remain truant. He joins a large and growing club, sad to say.

Interesting that police were called to involve themselves in a obstinate boy at home.
    I've got a feeling this won't be the last time this kid does something violent. As someone else said, they'll get him back on his meds and he'll be back at home in no time.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

OK, your kid won't get out of bed and take his medication?

Why are the parents calling the police for this? In my day, if I didn't get out of bed I can assure you that my parents would've seen to it that I got out of bed.

This is a parenting problem, not a "police problem". Parents need to act like parents. OK, I'm going to get off this thread before I type something I will regret.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the Officer and his family.

Biker

Links