Shotgun through the door

This is a discussion on Shotgun through the door within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Recent crime still haunts elderly couple By Tereasa Nims: tereasa_nims@terrelltribune.com Terrell Tribune Online Edition An elderly couple remains shaken by a Monday incident where seven ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shotgun through the door

Shotgun through the door

Recent crime still haunts elderly couple

By Tereasa Nims: tereasa_nims@terrelltribune.com

Terrell Tribune Online Edition

An elderly couple remains shaken by a Monday incident where seven people threatened to kill them as they tried to break through the couple's front door - to the homeowner's son shooting through the door as it was coming off the hinges.

“We don't want any trouble,” said Shirley Ashby, 67, who has lived in the home her entire life. “We don't know what brought this on.”

Four people are being held on $50,000 bonds in the Kaufman County Law Enforcement Center in connection with the incident on the 1300 block of County Road 319. One was shot in the right foot during the attempted thief.

According to Kaufman County Sheriff's Office Sgt. Bryan Francis, Glen Lilly, 18 of Terrell; Candace Beam, 20, of Terrell; Jonathon Emory, 18, of Terrell; and Lloyd Gipson, 36, of Forney were arraigned Wednesday morning and are charged with attempted burglary with intent to commit another felony.

A warrant was issued for a 31-year-old Hunt County woman in connection with the attempted burglary. Two other suspects are at large.

Francis said the homeowners called 911 at approximately 10 p.m. Monday when a group tried to break in. The family was watching television when they heard a commotion outside.

As the door was coming down, the homeowner's son, Don Ashby, grabbed a shotgun and shot through the bottom of the door striking Lily in the right foot.

“I didn't know anybody had been shot,” Ashby said.

After the shooting, Ashby got a call from Lily's mother who reportedly told him she didn't appreciate him shooting her son.

Shirley Ashby told the teen's mother she was sorry, but that the man shouldn't have been trying to break into their home.

“They were screaming they were going to kill us,” Ashby said. “I'm so sorry I hurt another human being, but I was protecting my family.”

2. Remove Ads

Shows some serious restraint to aim for the bottom of the door.

Glad it ended peacefully, minus picking some shot out of a BG's foot...

If a BG's mother called me demanding an apology for shooting her son, I'd kindly explain that her son offered me a choice; kill him or be killed, and I chose self preservation. If she doesn't like that, she should have taught him better. Or at least taught him better victim selection

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Getting shot is an occupational hazard of crime...

After the shooting, Ashby got a call from Lily's mother who reportedly told him she didn't appreciate him shooting her son.
    No sierra.......

I do not agree with pulling the trigger without a clear site picture, but it did show restraint nonetheless.

Do you really need a clear sight picture when the criminals on the other side of the door are threatening your life? I don't think so. The only problem here was that someone on the outside of the door survived to concoct some kind of a lie against good people.
    I would send the families a bill for the replacement of the door. Once again, the criminal survives and is not held responsible for the damages done.
    We have to start being contemptuous of criminals and get over the politically correct ideas that have been floating around for too long. They are criminals and they need to get what criminals deserve and we need to be telling people about it. Politically correct doesn't work so we need to go back to what does work. Justice swift and sure!
    "It does not take a majority to prevail,,,,,,but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." Samuel Adams

I think if the door was breaking in I would be putting every shot about chest high, I would empty the shottie and reload and keep firing untill there was no threat. Course that is just me, if they are breaking in the door I don't think they just want to say hello and have tea.

I live in the country and keep a shortie AR close at hand.......

“[7 people] ... were screaming they were going to kill us,” Ashby said. “I'm so sorry I hurt another human being, but I was protecting my family.”
    That takes some brass, to be so deluded and morally bereft as to think the intended victims need to apologize for taking a shotgun to such intruders in a situation where death is threatened. God Almighty, that's utterly lacking in any moral guide to one's thinking. No wonder her little Johnnie is bound for the slammer. May he thoroughly enjoy his new home (on the public dole though it may be).
    Last edited by ccw9mm; February 9th, 2008 at 08:27 PM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Is society so morally diluted that that woman has the stones to even open her mouth? I am simply appalled about it but happy the couple made it unhurt.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

A lot of people cannot bring themselves to inflict deadly force on a another human being. That's probably why he fired at the bottom of the door. Before everybody gets there bravado up about what the y would do, let me say this if you have never been confronted with the need to use lethal force, you have no idea what you would or would not do. this comment is not intended to hurt feelings or inflame anyone it is just a fact.
    Jack dog

As to the mother of the shot up bad guy. Well this is the same type of person who believes that her baby could dop know wrong and that society is at fault because he was shot.
    Jack dog

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jackdog View Post
    As to the mother of the shot up bad guy. Well this is the same type of person who believes that her baby could dop know wrong and that society is at fault because he was shot.
    Yes indeed how our evil Government could allow such vicious home owners to use a firearm against my son...why all guns should be banned. It's that damned NRA's fault my lil johnny got shot while attempting a home invasion/triple murder. Such nerve to defend yourself againd my little angel, well I never...
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

I think I would have actually waited for the door to come down------then block the open doorway with #1 for #2 and with #1 and #2 for #3 and.....................

VIP Member
    I'm glad the son was home to help his Parents. The woman should have called to check and see if the people were ok give a apology for her son's behaviour.

Ashby got a call from Lily's mother who reportedly told him she didn't appreciate him shooting her son.

Lilly's mommy should be a trial with her little angle she obviously condones his actions and by her harassment and intimidation of the VICTIMS has added to the terror they have had to endure

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links