Man Fires at Getaway Car

This is a discussion on Man Fires at Getaway Car within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Victim Shoots Getaway Vehicle LARGO - A man fired a gun Wednesday at the getaway vehicle of a burglar who had just broken into his ...

Thread: Man Fires at Getaway Car

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

Man Fires at Getaway Car

Victim Shoots Getaway Vehicle

LARGO - A man fired a gun Wednesday at the getaway vehicle of a burglar who had just broken into his home, and he managed to hit a tire, police said. Authorities say they identified and charged the burglar.

Now they are looking for the vehicle, described as a dark blue GMC Envoy, Lt. Mike Loux said.

The burglary victim and his wife arrived home in the 1500 block of North Peaceful Lane and spotted a sport utility vehicle in their driveway, Loux said.

The wife looked into the unfamiliar vehicle to see whether anyone was inside, Loux said. Nobody was.

The husband thought something was wrong and retrieved a .357-caliber firearm from his glove box, Loux said. The man is licensed to carry a concealed firearm.

The husband opened the garage door and at about the same time noticed someone coming from a side yard toward the driveway, Loux said.

The person hopped into the Envoy and began to back out of the driveway, Loux said. The couple's car was behind the Envoy, and the husband thought the Envoy was going to hit him, his wife or their car, Loux said.

The husband shot twice at the driver's side front tire as the Envoy sped away. Investigators determined the driver of the Envoy had burglarized the couple's home, Loux said.

On Thursday, Largo authorities learned of an arrest by the Pinellas County Sheriff's Office. The man, identified by Largo police as Robert Jacobs, 48, told authorities he burglarized the home and was unaware anyone had fired at the Envoy, Loux said.

Authorities, who did not identify the couple, are still looking for the Envoy. Its Florida license plate number is X835WY.

Detectives also are trying to determine whether Jacobs committed any other burglaries, Loux said.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

2. Remove Ads

Interesting! Learn something new every day. I wasn't aware that shooting at a front tire on a vehicle speeding away was a 'self defensive shooting'. I guess things worked out considering. Glad to know there would be no charges filed against the home owner for recklessly discharging a firearm.

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    Largo -- is that Florida??
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Interesting! Learn something new every day. I wasn't aware that shooting at a front tire on a vehicle speeding away was a 'self defensive shooting'. I guess things worked out considering. Glad to know there would be no charges filed against the home owner for recklessly discharging a firearm.
    It is food for thought, but the report does not state whether or not the homeowner got charged with anything. Illegal discharge of a firearm in city limits, reckless endangerment...
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by USPnTX View Post
    Largo -- is that Florida??
    Evidently it is in the Tampa Bay area, as the story is posted on TBO - Tampa Bay Online.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

I got excited there for a minute when I saw Largo (thinking Largo,MD). A CCW(someone actually got one!) defending himself! Shucks,its only FL.
    I guess the only MD threads we will see will be the BAD or UGLY.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

He's lucky he didn't get arrested for assault, after the fact. Technically you can only take deadly action when threatened, not after the threat is over and the BG has departed!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

VIP Member
    Well, we all know my thoughts on shooting at fleeing vehicles (it's right up there with kicking puppies, IMO), but this one is even more interesting. The shooter said he was afraid the vehicle might hit him or his wife - OK, now the vehicle isn't fleeing, it's being used as a deadle weapon; take whatever action is necessary. BUT, the guy also said he was by the garage door, and the vehicle was backing out of the driveway...in most cases, the garage is at the end of the driveway (by the house), not the beginning of it (by the road). So, this is an unusual property layout, or something is a little fishy...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Bad Shoot!!!
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Seems like the first thing to do when you arrive at your residence and something doesn't look right and the house is empty, call 911 and wait for the police. Otherwise, trying to check for burglars in your house could be asking for trouble - literally. You have no idea how many there may be and could get ambushed. If the BG's aren't running out of the house shooting at you, wait for the police. I'm thinking he's lucky not to have been charged with something.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

If his fear was of the vehicle backing into his wife (property is not defensible) then he should have shot at the driver, not the vehicles tire. Any sized car will continue to move even with a tire flattened. Such an action would have zero real world not on TV effect on the ability of the driver to continue operating the vehicle in a purposeful manner.

Agreed Walvord ^^
    It's very simple.
    If you suspect trouble then leave and do not go into it (duh!). Drive up the street and dial 911.
    Had there been two or three burglars and just one armed muchless them all then Mr. Homeowner would be looking at serious injury if not death, and his wife left defenseless...

- Janq would not fire at a vehicle, but would do so at it's operator
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by PCMaven View Post
    He's lucky he didn't get arrested for assault, after the fact. Technically you can only take deadly action when threatened, not after the threat is over and the BG has departed!
    FLORIDA CASTLE DOCTRINE may be different than New York law.
    It is not the Bill of Privileges. It is not the Bill of Permits. It is the Bill of Rights.

People should not be afraid of the government; the government should be afraid of the people.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by citizen510 View Post
    FLORIDA CASTLE DOCTRINE means he can shoot to stop the perp! Very much UNLIKE if it was in New York. YMMV
    Sorry, but no.

Florida's "castle doctrine" only applies inside your residence or vehicle.

The only way the "castle doctrine" in Florida applies to shooting at the getaway vehicle is if it is driving through your living room.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post
    Sorry, but no.

Florida's "castle doctrine" only applies inside your residence or vehicle.

The only way the "castle doctrine" in Florida applies to shooting at the getaway vehicle is if it is driving through your living room.

Matt
    Unless there is a statute that allows use of force to stop a fleeing suspect. I'd say shooting the tire would qualify as that, although the radiator would have had a better effect.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

yeah, he'lucky he wont be charged. i personelly would have let him go
    and then call police. be a whole lot cheaper for a new car then a legal
    issue.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Links